Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi etron in person, disappointing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not so sure about that, In metro areas maybe but In all the traveling I've done outside of city centers I think the most cars I've ever seen is 3 at a supercharger. Right now EA has just as many charging locations as Tesla does in Houston and they put them in in less than a year, took Tesla 4 years to get that many put in.
You can't buy a Tesla in Texas and a new bill wants tor remove Tesla service centers too. verify for yourself.

Audi is saying range is 417km (WLPT) according to Audi e-tron > tron > Audi Deutschland

Speed limit here in Switzerland is 120kph on highways, 80kph on country roads, strictly enforced, fines based on income (ouch).
Switzerland is small, North-South around 220km, East-west around 340km, so I can travel the whole country on a single charge in the E-Tron.
I am totally fine with the range I am getting (370km) and the speed it recharges (150kW till 80% or 50kW all the way to 100%), so I don't see a problem for me here.
Yeah, if you are into long distance travelling in a large country like the US, a Model 3 might suit you better.

Overall I think this is a damn fine really high quality EV.

All of this supports my view that EV's will gain widespread acceptance in Europe much faster than in the US.

We are avid skiers, have taken 4 rental car road trips from GVA or ZRH in the past 3 seasons. Distances are more compact; you can fit the entire Alps from Geneva to Slovenia at the same latitude in the western 2/3 of Montana. So yes I can get that a 200 mile EV with 150KW charging is viable in that environment.

We use our S90D to ski at Mammoth, 14x in 3+ years ownership. That's still 320 miles one way with an 8,000 foot elevation gain, requiring a 45 minute charge stop in Lone Pine after 200 miles. We do not have the patience to drive it 700+ miles to our Utah timeshare, which would currently entail 3+ hours of charge stops at current 93kW max. That's one reason we will probably go for the new 370 mile range Model S with 140kW charging. But even there we may need v3 supercharging to get elapsed travel time close to what it is in an ICE.

The one question I have for Valore is, what is the real world range of the Audi e-tron in typical Alps winter temperatures in the -5C range?

Reactions: dhanson865
Yes European distances are significantly less than US. I think I could go near two weeks between charges - excluding vacations.
Americans like to mock the EU BEV cars for range, but the VW ID3 is going to kill at the 30K € price point. In Slovenia with a 7500€ subsidy is about the same price as a Golf, the second best selling car in the country.

Correcting Audi: Tesla Model 3 Charges Over 2 Times Faster Than Audi e-tron | CleanTechnica

"Here is what you should take away from this article: do not trust anything published by the Volkswagen Group. After all the coverups from the past few years, it comes as no surprise that Audi keeps deceiving the public with falsified data and twisted arguments. Some companies never learn. I just hope customers finally will."

Audi / VW just can’t keep up and aren’t afraid to lie about it.

I don’t see why Porsche is expected to have some magical technology that Audi can’t access.

Correcting Audi: Tesla Model 3 Charges Over 2 Times Faster Than Audi e-tron | CleanTechnica

"Here is what you should take away from this article: do not trust anything published by the Volkswagen Group. After all the coverups from the past few years, it comes as no surprise that Audi keeps deceiving the public with falsified data and twisted arguments. Some companies never learn. I just hope customers finally will."
So much hyperventilation. :rolleyes: His "corrected" graph shows essentially the same thing as Audi's, so I don't see where the data is "falsified". You can argue that it is more meaningful to measure range added per time rather than energy, but then you should also use comparable vehicles. Comparing an SUV like the Audi to a compact sedan like the Model 3 is also a form of deception.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
So much hyperventilation. :rolleyes: His "corrected" graph shows essentially the same thing as Audi's, so I don't see where the data is "falsified". You can argue that it is more meaningful to measure range added per time rather than energy, but then you should also use comparable vehicles. Comparing an SUV like the Audi to a compact sedan like the Model 3 is also a form of deception.
They are similar cars for room/volume. Fair comparison.

They are similar cars for room/volume. Fair comparison.
More ground clearance, higher seating position, cargo hatch, bigger aerodynamic cross section, more weight. Nope, not fair. Once the Model Y is out you can probably make a fair comparison, but by then a few other competitors will also be available. The other direction, the ID 3 should be an interesting comparison for the Model 3, but we don't know yet if it will have the same kind of charge curve as the Audi.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
More ground clearance, higher seating position, cargo hatch, bigger aerodynamic cross section, more weight. Nope, not fair. Once the Model Y is out you can probably make a fair comparison, but by then a few other competitors will also be available. The other direction, the ID 3 should be an interesting comparison for the Model 3, but we don't know yet if it will have the same kind of charge curve as the Audi.
Then, by extrapolation, the Model X is not a comparable car
Out of the two, Model 3 is the better comparison

Yep, at the crux, e-Tron takes double the time to charge the same range in the optimal ~ 20 to 80% battery charge

A lot of those are just poor design choices

A lot of those are just poor design choices
Well, as someone who dislikes SUVs in general I don't disagree. ;) But ground clearance, high seating position and large cargo hatch are the main reasons why SUVs are so popular, and higher weight and worse aerodynamics in comparison to a sedan are an unavoidable consequence of building higher cars requiring more body material. I don't think anyone seriously interested in the Etron (or a Model X for that matter) would compare it with a Model 3.