Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi etron in person, disappointing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too small? You must be American.
My family car currently is a Porsche 911. ;)
It fits skis or bikes on the roof rack no problem, you can put enough stuff in the back seats lol.

Pish! I did the Grimsel in a Smart Cabrio! Tires screeching in the hairpins! Woo hoo! :p

Then I remembered I had allowed a couple of backpackers to cozy up in the "trunk". o_O:D;) [Joke!]

I've never gotten anywhere close to the rated range on either the Model S or the Model 3 in any real world driving. Now sure I can get there on a summer day if I drive slow.

Sure I can get there by using the smaller uglier tires/wheels. But, for all practical purposes the rated range is meaningless to me. So on that one I'm going to wait to see what people actually experience. The Germans tend to be more conservative with numbers they give than Tesla tends to be.

It's not Tesla's numbers. It's the numbers reported by the EPA testing cycle. I can certainly hit under 220 Wh on my Model 3 LR RWD and get the rated range with mixed driving using AP, but I tend to get around 248 Wh when I personally drive. This is because I drive 80-90 mph on half my drive to work when on the interstate and I removed the aero caps off my rims. I also do a lot of heavy acceleration.

Reactions: CarlK
Cruising at 60 mph then yes it makes 325. The AWD on 19" is much less efficient. I would say range is about 280 under similar conditions. Maybe a little less. Since the EPA numbers are under the same cycle they are good for comparison. However, every Tesla Model 3 was only tested with 18" Aero rims and tires.

The EPA numbers match the LR AWD with 18" rims. It doesn't match any other configuration:

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Picked mine up 3 weeks ago.
It's awesome, driving in Switzerland, I usually get a range of 370km. Charging is super fast, 150kW until 80%, 50kW all the way to 100%.
Build quality is superb, Audi A6 / Q7 like. Inside it is by far the quietest car I ever had, even quieter than a Mercedes S Class.
I am not missing the Tesla Model S yet that I had before.

View attachment 399822
Congrats. At least you get the virtual rear view mirrors...waiting to see one in person in VA.

Let's see charging 20% to 90% (which I assume applies to all BEV cars).

That's 70% of the absolute battery capacity which is 204 miles * 70% comes to 143 miles of "practical range".
Now factor in cold weather. That's another 30% hit. 143 miles * 70% comes to 100 miles of "practical range in winter".

Sorry, I couldn't live with that in any country. Well, maybe Bermuda warm and small.

Does it get cold in Switzerland?

Maybe the eTron has a heat pump?
Maybe the eTron has no issue charging to 100% regularly?
Maybe the eTron has more headroom in the battery when it's below say 10%?

What's the track record on the longevity of the Audi Battery?

1. Let's see charging 20% to 90% (which I assume applies to all BEV cars).

2. Does it get cold in Switzerland?

3. Maybe the eTron has a heat pump?
4. Maybe the eTron has no issue charging to 100% regularly?
5. Maybe the eTron has more headroom in the battery when it's below say 10%?

What's the track record on the longevity of the Audi Battery?

1. Charge curve below.
2. Yes of course, we got the Alps
3. Yes it does
4. So far no problem charging to 100%. It does it at 50kW
5. Yeah maybe, but I don't know

Fastned_ChargeCurve_Audi.png

1. Charge curve below.
2. Yes of course, we got the Alps
3. Yes it does
4. So far no problem charging to 100%. It does it at 50kW
5. Yeah maybe, but I don't know

View attachment 404604

Well you can charge any EV to 100%. The question is if you routinely leave it at 100% what does that do to longevity.

I was joking that it gets cold in Switzerland.

My comments regarding 20%-90% has nothing to do with the charge curve. What is the recommended useable range of the battery. If your saying 0-100% daily with no longevity issues I guess Elon should close up shop.

If it’s like every other EV, 204 miles is really too little for a lot of folks. Because you can’t use the whole battery. And the huge hit in the cold. Perhaps it’s only 20% hit, in winter with the heat pump.

The only plus I see is that it has a heat pump. The biggest negative is that it’s made by the dieselgate folks and I will never buy another car from them. I had 5. I’ll never forget what they did.

1. Well you can charge any EV to 100%. The question is if you routinely leave it at 100% what does that do to longevity.

I was joking that it gets cold in Switzerland.

2. My comments regarding 20%-90% has nothing to do with the charge curve. What is the recommended useable range of the battery. If your saying 0-100% daily with no longevity issues I guess Elon should close up shop.

3. If it’s like every other EV, 204 miles is really too little for a lot of folks. Because you can’t use the whole battery. And the huge hit in the cold. Perhaps it’s only 20% hit, in winter with the heat pump.

4. The only plus I see is that it has a heat pump. The biggest negative is that it’s made by the dieselgate folks and I will never buy another car from them. I had 5. I’ll never forget what they did.

1. I don't care. I usually drive my cars 2 years and get a new one.

2. I don't know any recommended usable range. I usually plug it into the charger at home or at my office, that's it. Never got stuck without power, neither with my Tesla before nor with the Audi.

3. Yeah, 417km WLPT range might be too little for many people. It's still more than a Model X SR which is rated at 375km WLPT and comes with much better build quality for about the same price.

4. I never had problems with my Audi Diesel cars. They're great. In fact, my wife still drives an Audi A6 3.0 TDI which is pretty good and get's great fuel economy.
Unbenannt.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: mrwuffles
4. I never had problems with my Audi Diesel cars. They're great. In fact, my wife still drives an Audi A6 3.0 TDI which is pretty good and get's great fuel economy.

Only problem is their diesels were deliberately (not accidentally, that's the key here, deliberately) poisoning everyone around you. And you reward them, I won't.

I wouldn't buy a lot of the short range Tesla's either.

Who knows what other deliberate things they might be doing to manufacture your battery.

It might. That's what I'm asking.
Not really. It's possible that 100% displayed charge on an Audi uses a lower percentage of the actual battery capacity than 100% displayed charge on a Tesla. I.e. a larger part of the capacity is not user accessible. If that's the case, frequently charging the Audi to "100%" may not be harmful. It would also explain why it can maintain peak charging power longer than Tesla.

Not really. It's possible that 100% displayed charge on an Audi uses a lower percentage of the actual battery capacity than 100% displayed charge on a Tesla. I.e. a larger part of the capacity is not user accessible. If that's the case, frequently charging the Audi to "100%" may not be harmful. It would also explain why it can maintain peak charging power longer than Tesla.
This is exactly the case. Audi prevents you from charging to the true 100% SOC. This allows them to charge faster up to the user limit and also allows them to hide degradation by moving the user limit so that the usable kWh is constant as the car ages through the warranty period. Beyond the warranty, who knows what will happen. I'm not sure most automakers care what happens beyond that. VW certainly didn't care that my Passat V6 30V consumed 3qt/5000miles from new. They would not do anything about it under warranty until the engine oil consumption was 1qt/1000miles. They were very smart. The oil consumption didn't kill the first catalytic converter until it was 5000 miles outside the emissions warranty.

Teslarati had this article on unhappy customers in Norway waiting for delivery and even being fined for cancelling their order.

Audi e-tron customers face more delivery delays, fines for canceled orders: report

The "you can buy a more expensive car earlier or get a lesser one but wait 6 months" statements, aren't that different from Tesla producing their more expensive Model 3 variations first with the base model pushed back, for which they received a lot of negative press. So interesting to see all the issues with production, trying to compete on technology, efficiency, battery costs, etc. that these big legacy type automakers are having after ripping up Tesla over their production issues.

Given that Audi came out and said they were going to pursue hydrogen due to their inability apparently to obtain enough batteries for their EV planned production, I don't know how comfortable I would be buying one of their BEV cars at this point. Might get stuck with a dinosaur model of theirs and be concerned about support down the road.

Last edited:
I've never gotten anywhere close to the rated range on either the Model S or the Model 3 in any real world driving. Now sure I can get there on a summer day if I drive slow.

Sure I can get there by using the smaller uglier tires/wheels. But, for all practical purposes the rated range is meaningless to me. So on that one I'm going to wait to see what people actually experience. The Germans tend to be more conservative with numbers they give than Tesla tends to be.

Now I don't expect it to be as efficient since nothing about the E-tron screams efficiency. Instead it looks to be a vehicle designed to trade off efficiency in favor of more durability, and a more richer interior. I imagine it's quieter inside than either the Model Y, or the X.

I keep going back to the charging network because it's the one thing Tesla did so well on that it's hard for anyone else to compete. It's not just how they did the supercharging network with how many stalls (on average) a site has, but it's also the destination chargers as well. It's so well done that I don't even need to stop at a supercharger on my trips to Portland. If I drive conservatively I can do the almost 200 miles trip without stopping to charge. I simply book a hotel that has destination charging.

I preferred the UI of the S because I could have all the information I wanted displayed where I wanted it. I really felt at home in that vehicle and part of me is kinda bummed I traded it in.

The UI in the 3/Y is clearly designed with autonomous driving in mind. That would be fine if we had autonomous driving, but instead Tesla is taking an iterative approach to autonomous driving.

The iterative approach means that the UI/UX of the vehicle needs to be aware of what the driver is doing (are they paying attention), and it needs to notify the driver to what it detects.

As it is right now drivers like myself miss half the notifications the car tells us. It's off to the side, and I'm paying attention to the road. I really wish Tesla would add a notification history. I'd also like them to add the notifications to to the dashcam video (like a closed captioning that could be turned on/off).

We also struggle with torque sensor failing to detect our hands properly. Even if it did work better it still would be in inadequate way to measure driver engagement.

I think it's too early to tell what the Model Y will have. Over the next year or so I expect Tesla/Elon to transition away from the torque sensor to a system similar to what the Cadillac Supercruise system uses.
e-tron sounds perfect for your expectations - enjoy