Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio/Video out of sync via Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm assuming everyone else is having the same issue as me, but wanted to check here. The audio is noticeably out of sync when watching YouTube, Plex, or other video and streaming via Bluetooth to the car.

Before I took the car into service to complain, I wanted to get some feedback here first.

Yes, I noticed the same thing. I'm using an iPhone 6 just fyi.

I've noticed this with every BT audio system I've ever used.

You mean, built-in/factory BT in a car? Aftermarket (plug-in BT modules) seem to be perfect. We do have this same issue in my wife's 2014 Mercedes GL 450 FWIW.

- - - Updated - - -

This is just an inherit issue with Bluetooth. Bluetooth adds a significant amount of delay so unless the video playback can be delayed to compensate for it, they will be out of sync.

It's definitely not a BT stack issue. Do you have a BT headset? Test it out.

It's definitely not a BT stack issue. Do you have a BT headset? Test it out.

I disagree. It's well known that any attempts to stream audio over bluetooth for a video feed will be met with a delay up to 1 second. It's part of the technology and the latency that's added to process the audio, send it wirelessly, decode it, and play it. It is what it is, and it's been like this since the very first days of bluetooth.

Jeff

I'm assuming everyone else is having the same issue as me, but wanted to check here. The audio is noticeably out of sync when watching YouTube, Plex, or other video and streaming via Bluetooth to the car.

Before I took the car into service to complain, I wanted to get some feedback here first.
This is a common problem in many cars and bluetooth headsets (google "video player delay bluetooth").

The VLC player app lets you adjust the audio delay while playing videos. There may be others as well, but it's free

the audio sync problems here are the worst I've seen on any car. Elon, don't u watch netflix on iPad in your car while charging? This has to be something they are aware of? (Much better would be allowing us to watch video on the screen while charging).

Is there a way to adjust this on an Android phone I'm some manner where all apps are compensated? VLC only allows for playback of local content, right? What about those watching streaming content?
VLC does streaming content as well including YouTube (might need some plugins). You can always hotspot your Android to your laptop. That's what I do. But usually I just download the videos I want to watch beforehand and play it back on VLC on my laptop in the car.

If I'm not mistaken, VLC added audio delay options in the Android version back in 2015.