Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Augmented Reality

If Tesla were to use Augmented Reality in the Model 3 how do you think they would implement it?

• Displayed on the Windshield

• Displayed on Glasses you Wear

• Displayed on the Center Console Screen

• Displayed on Some Other Screen

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I would love a futuristic AR HUD, there's also the possibility that some essentials are integrated into the wheel itself.

What concerns me is also the original tweet:
Screen_Shot_2016-11-22_at_4.01.50_PM_grande.png

The issue is that Part 2 was the FSD part. Did he actually mean part 3? Being FSD would explain the lack of a normal instrument panel (see google err waymo cars)

The more I think about it the more I consider not needing a HUD at all. I firmly believe AR HUDs will lead to safer manually driven cars someday, but if we pretend for a moment that FSD becomes perfected in the next 5-10 years, there may not be a real need for a HUD at all.

My fingers are still crossed for an AR HUD, but I'm not holding my breath.
I hope there is nothing integrated into the wheel other than a couple of buttons. The last thing I want is a steering wheel that resembles a game console controller - my son already kicks my butt in just about every game we play.

You could be right about the FSD part of it, but I lean the other way. Until FSD is an everyday reality there has to be something to get the required info to the driver. I think a HUD makes sense since you can just shut it off when you're not driving. Unlike a normal dash where it is always there regardless of who is doing the driving. Or are you saying that there would be neither and everything would just be displayed on the center screen? That's possible too. But, I agree with you about a HUD, especially one with AR integrated into it, being much safer for when people are driving.

Considering that the hardware that is providing the data, the type and amount of data, as well as the processor itself and probably a lot of the software have all changed from what was used with AP 1, it is not surprising at all that it would take some time to get it operating at the same levels. Why would you think it wouldn't?
Because it was "said" that the new AP hardware would be working back in January. Its really not working.

Gestures and retina tracking are just a way to interact with the AR. You can have AR and certainly just a HUD without either of them.

I think we've pretty much established that.
What is AR in your opinion? Or an example of it. I'm at lunch right now, however I program AR all day every day. I have not seen a concrete example of AR posted here yet...and this is an AR thread.

I have seen and heard plenty examples of HUD in this AR thread.

Or are you saying that there would be neither and everything would just be displayed on the center screen? That's possible too.
I'm concerned of the possibility that it could be neither, as it could simply be deemed unnecessary. Checking the center screen would take as much effort as checking mirrors or checking most modern instrument panels.

Toyota already does this:
CR-Cars-Inline-2017-Toyota-Prius-Prime-int-08-16.jpg

The dash and combined screen is functionally equivalent to a Tesla Model 3 center screen without a HUD.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if they only use the center horizontal screen shown in the preview cars.
This method of simplifying the dash so that it's the same for LHD and RHD markets reduces the n.umber of unique parts and simplifies design and cost of many cars these days.

What is AR in your opinion? Or an example of it. I'm at lunch right now, however I program AR all day every day. I have not seen a concrete example of AR posted here yet...and this is an AR thread.

AR is anything, including a HUD, that augments a user's view of the real world with data.

That data could be images, text, virtual 3D objects, etc. There is no other valid definition of AR.

The camera feature of the Google Translate app is a great example of augmented reality that most people with smartphones can readily access.

27-700x350.jpg

This projector also does AR by overlaying data onto the real world. It's also pretty gross.

I'm going to pass out now...

In my opinion AR is pretty much what the standard definition of it is. Read the first sentence here: Augmented reality - Wikipedia

Reactions: JeffK
The issue is that Part 2 was the FSD part. Did he actually mean part 3? Being FSD would explain the lack of a normal instrument panel (see google err waymo cars)
That was way back when he was hinting that part 2 reveal would be ready by the end of the year. I think once they realized the interior would not be ready by then, he just kind of threw out a tweet that the FSD hardware announcement for S/X was also part two for the 3. :rolleyes:

That was way back when he was hinting that part 2 reveal would be ready by the end of the year. I think once they realized the interior would not be ready by then, he just kind of threw out a tweet that the FSD hardware announcement for S/X was also part two for the 3. :rolleyes:
Except that he later said that the FSD part was what he meant by part 2.

pw2kP6.jpg

It's possible he could have changed it, but at the time I was sure part 2 was self driving since April. I wasn't expecting the S/X announcement although I should have because that's obvious they should have it too.

Except that he later said that the FSD part was what he meant by part 2.

pw2kP6.jpg

It's possible he could have changed it, but at the time I was sure part 2 was self driving since April. I wasn't expecting the S/X announcement although I should have because that's obvious they should have it too.

That was the tweet I was referring to. I had the impression, and maybe it was just me, that part two would be the interior. Not worth going back to try to find evidence of that though, it is what it is. I hate that phrase, but it seems to work here. ;)

It was the april 3rd post from above
OK, the tweet on 3 April (along with others statements) led me (and I believe others) to believe that part 2 would include a look at the interior (especially since that tweet used the word "unveil"). A couple months later he answered a question about part 2 and implied that it would be at the end of the year. Again, I think at that point some were thinking "that's when we'll see the interior". Then on 18 October (I believe) there was word that there would be an announcement on 19 October. Then, before the announcement , there was the 19 October tweet that the announcement was part 2 of model 3. I (and I believe others) were disappointed that part 2 would not be the the interior.

It's my conjecture that they just didn't have the interior done when they hoped and switched things up.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if they only use the center horizontal screen shown in the preview cars.
This method of simplifying the dash so that it's the same for LHD and RHD markets reduces the n.umber of unique parts and simplifies design and cost of many cars these days.

Except you can't use the same dash in LHD and RHD because of the steering wheel. It's going to be different no matter how you do it. It makes me think of cis-trans isomers in chemistry.

In my opinion AR is pretty much what the standard definition of it is. Read the first sentence here: Augmented reality - Wikipedia

I think I see the problem that I'm having with this thread. Wikipedia is not the definition of AR that my company has.

Simply re-displaying what a computer interprets something to be IS NOT AR. That's VR.
There are tons of VR devices out there. But very few AR devices.

AR requires a computer to interpret human involvement. Such as " a gesture" or a "hand wave" or something a human does. Then the computer takes that gesture and converts it into some kind of function.

Wikipedia is very weak when it comes to specifics sometimes. Wikipedia is totally wrong in this case.

OK, the tweet on 3 April (along with others statements) led me (and I believe others) to believe that part 2 would include a look at the interior (especially since that tweet used the word "unveil"). A couple months later he answered a question about part 2 and implied that it would be at the end of the year. Again, I think at that point some were thinking "that's when we'll see the interior". Then on 18 October (I believe) there was word that there would be an announcement on 19 October. Then, before the announcement , there was the 19 October tweet that the announcement was part 2 of model 3. I (and I believe others) were disappointed that part 2 would not be the the interior.

It's my conjecture that they just didn't have the interior done when they hoped and switched things up.
When Elon made the initial statement......I don't think he knew anything about the solar roof stuff of Tesla ( part 2 ) being on the horizon. If the merger didn't happen, then we would still be waiting for an M3 "part 2". Which we really are.

IMHO - part 2 had absolutely nothing to do with the M3 or the MS or the MX.