Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of last month, it seems only the glovebox USB is data. Was a few posts about it a few days ago, don’t recall which thread

Bought a controller to play games and it only works in the outlet in my glove box. No Sonic. Anyone else?

See the thread in the quoted post below. It is possible to restore data access to usb ports in console.
For those of you frustrated by the lack of data capability in your model 3 or Y, a solution has arrived.

Using a link found in this thread, I was alerted about a replacement data module on Ali express. I corresponded with the company in China, and although they were able to demonstrate it’s successful implementation on a MIC model Y, they could not assure me it would work in a Fremont assembled American made unit. Seemed too risky for me to fork over $160 for the experiment.

I next corresponded with Abstract Ocean, a well-regarded American third party after market Tesla reseller. I was able to reach the CEO, Pete, who took an interest in the product, ordered it from one of his suppliers in China, and tested it on his data enabled Tesla. It worked. He then reached out to me, sent me the parts and asked me to install it in my neutered 2022 Model Y. I am happy to report it works successfully and there was an orphaned and functioning data cable in my console.

View attachment 761569
Here is the module
View attachment 761570
This is the successful opening of the console using the supplied tool.View attachment 761581here is the orphaned cable.View attachment 761582

new module installed
View attachment 761589
Old and new module side by side. Note addition of data port.

View attachment 761590
Here are the two cables plugged in before I reattached it to the console panel wall.

I was able to pop the console wall back in place and it is undetectable.

usb music works. Wireless gaming with a dongle or wired gaming works.

here is a link to purchase from Abstract Ocean. Send your thanks to Pete for making this happen! He is sourcing modules from China and has established a waiting list. Not sure about price yet, but he guesses it will be in the $130 range, although he’s going to start by discounting them for less to the early ordering customers.

USB-C Upgrade Module

Be aware that Tesla could inactivate this cable via software if they wish. Also, this doesn’t restore Sonic or Cuphead. That appears to be VIN enabled. We need to figure out how to get this enabled too. Someone please figure this out.

I’m somewhat good with my hands, so not easily intimidated. However, I would rate this install as slightly harder than easy, but less than difficult. As long as you are patient, you can do this.

Reactions: J1513
C541D24D-1A09-4665-B0DB-953AAAB6C371.jpeg

Got this today. Did anyone get the trade in text a few days before having a vin assigned? Not sure if this is something to be excited about 😅
EDD: 02/23 - 03/23
OD: 08/31

From what I read, they are planning to add Bluetooth, but not yet. Trying to find the posts

Ok this should be it Current Delivery Times and a few posts after. Thought there was a link to a article about it, but don’t see it
Yea, This made me wait on buying a controller until they have the bluetooth activated. My son was quite disappointed when I told him.

My model Y delivery was originally scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, Feb 16th. But, I ended getting it on Feb 12th.

Going over my trade-in paperwork, I realized that the registration for my vehicle would expire on Monday Feb 14th. Facing a steep registration renewal fee in Seattle for just two days of ownership, I texted my local Tesla office to explain the situation. They moved my registration up to Saturday to accommodate, warning me that the vehicle would have just arrived that morning and they may have to reschedule, if they could not go through their cleaning and test processes. Got a call on Saturday around noon that my vehicle did check out, and they would deliver it to our home mid afternoon.

A Tesla rep drove the vehicle over. Allowed me to do a walk around, check the inside of the vehicle before accepting it. I could not find any flaws with it. He then spent about 40 minutes explaining features answering questions, had me sign in four or five places across 4 docs (a process that takes hours of torture at a traditional dealership). After papers were signed, the delivery rep took keys for our trade in and drove off. I went over the new vehicle multiple times after that and could not issues to complain about.

The vehicle has been really awesome. It is zippy, practical, comfortable, with great audio. The only disappointment was that it came with the Intel Atom processor. But, if it had not been something I was obsessing over, I would never have noticed anything being off. The screen is responsive and nothing about the time apps take to load seems off.

It was a 178 day wait. But, the VIN eventually popped up. The wait has been worth it.

My model Y delivery was originally scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, Feb 16th. But, I ended getting it on Feb 12th.

Going over my trade-in paperwork, I realized that the registration for my vehicle would expire on Monday Feb 14th. Facing a steep registration renewal fee in Seattle for just two days of ownership, I texted my local Tesla office to explain the situation. They moved my registration up to Saturday to accommodate, warning me that the vehicle would have just arrived that morning and they may have to reschedule, if they could not go through their cleaning and test processes. Got a call on Saturday around noon that my vehicle did check out, and they would deliver it to our home mid afternoon.

A Tesla rep drove the vehicle over. Allowed me to do a walk around, check the inside of the vehicle before accepting it. I could not find any flaws with it. He then spent about 40 minutes explaining features answering questions, had me sign in four or five places across 4 docs (a process that takes hours of torture at a traditional dealership). After papers were signed, the delivery rep took keys for our trade in and drove off. I went over the new vehicle multiple times after that and could not issues to complain about.

The vehicle has been really awesome. It is zippy, practical, comfortable, with great audio. The only disappointment was that it came with the Intel Atom processor. But, if it had not been something I was obsessing over, I would never have noticed anything being off. The screen is responsive and nothing about the time apps take to load seems off.

It was a 178 day wait. But, the VIN eventually popped up. The wait has been worth it.
Congratulations!! 🎉🎉🎉

Reactions: arctangent
View attachment 769466
Got this today. Did anyone get the trade in text a few days before having a vin assigned? Not sure if this is something to be excited about 😅
EDD: 02/23 - 03/23
OD: 08/31
Hey ya I got the same on the 8th, at the time my EDD was the 14th, but now my EDD is the 27th but it's a 2 week span instead of the 4 week span. So I think it's a good sign but I still don't have a VIN so I'm just hopping, lol.