Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mind picking it up from the factory delivery center (25 miles). In fact that is probably preferable to Tesla dropping the car off in the driveway and speeding away.
The folks at Fremont were very helpful. They helped me set up my iphone as a key and showed me how to set up mirrors and steering wheel. I knew how to do these things from videos and from time I spent at Walnut Creek showroom but it was nice to have help first time.

Just got a text from Tesla asking about a trade-in. So a bit of progress....

I responded no trade-in and then asked if they had an update on EDD since the guy at the Waikiki showroom told me while on vacation last week he could "see" in the system that my car is due to be built on 1/22. The SA texted back standard boilerplate: "You are currently scheduled to be matched to a VIN sometime from 1/20 to 2/17. You will receive an email when the VIN is assigned and we will be reaching out to schedule shortly after"

Just got a text from Tesla asking about a trade-in. So a bit of progress....

I responded no trade-in and then asked if they had an update on EDD since the guy at the Waikiki showroom told me while on vacation last week he could "see" in the system that my car is due to be built on 1/22. The SA texted back standard boilerplate: "You are currently scheduled to be matched to a VIN sometime from 1/20 to 2/17. You will receive an email when the VIN is assigned and we will be reaching out to schedule shortly after"
I got that same text about 2 weeks ago and Tesla came in higher on the trade-in higher than all the other 3rd party offers out there surprisingly. I was afraid it would affect my EDD but didn't seem to. *knock on wood*

Reactions: stillwaitingg
Talking of trade in, I thought I would share some information. I had not intended to time my trade in with the purchase. I have been reading here Tesla's quotes are much lower. I had planned to get a quote from Carvana and close the matter. Anyway, when my SA called me he said why not take a quote (just enter VIN and upload photos) and then reject if you wish. No harm done. So I said OK. I first got a quote for a 2017 Lexus 350 Rx and Carvana quoted me $36,931. I took a quote from Kelly blue book and it came at $36,566. I asked my local Lexus dealer and he said bring your car in, we can have a look and have a chat. meh! from my brain. Anyway, I would certainly consider a visit if I can't sell it off without a visit. He then said we will match Carvana and I told him, my business goes to who gives the highest quote. I took a quote from Tesla as well. My local sales tax is 7.525%. So if I got an offer less than up to 7.525% of the highest quote $36,931 I would be better off selling to Tesla. I was expecting a low ball offer. I was surprised to see Tesla offer $36,000. That saves me $2709 in sales tax. Deducting price difference between highest quote and Tesla's $931 I am still better off by $1,778 doing a Trade-in with Tesla. In short, it is always worth getting a quote from Tesla. I think Tesla have figured out to give a quote less than at least 3% than KBB and still come out winner. I think every dealer does it, so no complaints there. I am happy I saved $1,778 in taxes.

Talking of trade in, I thought I would share some information. I had not intended to time my trade in with the purchase. I have been reading here Tesla's quotes are much lower. I had planned to get a quote from Carvana and close the matter. Anyway, when my SA called me he said why not take a quote (just enter VIN and upload photos) and then reject if you wish. No harm done. So I said OK. I first got a quote for a 2017 Lexus 350 Rx and Carvana quoted me $36,931. I took a quote from Kelly blue book and it came at $36,566. I asked my local Lexus dealer and he said bring your car in, we can have a look and have a chat. meh! from my brain. Anyway, I would certainly consider a visit if I can't sell it off without a visit. He then said we will match Carvana and I told him, my business goes to who gives the highest quote. I took a quote from Tesla as well. My local sales tax is 7.525%. So if I got an offer less than up to 7.525% of the highest quote $36,931 I would be better off selling to Tesla. I was expecting a low ball offer. I was surprised to see Tesla offer $36,000. That saves me $2709 in sales tax. Deducting price difference between highest quote and Tesla's $931 I am still better off by $1,778 doing a Trade-in with Tesla. In short, it is always worth getting a quote from Tesla. I think Tesla have figured out to give a quote less than at least 3% than KBB and still come out winner. I think every dealer does it, so no complaints there. I am happy I saved $1,778 in taxes.
be careful with anything tht changes the final amount you pay. I understand trade-in has nothing to do with the car but someone in discord asked if they can (possible add FSD) before the price changes and apparently the SA updated the price with FSD but the base price of the car also jumped up.. he is talking to them for now but idk what will happen

Reactions: samori01
I got that same text about 2 weeks ago and Tesla came in higher on the trade-in higher than all the other 3rd party offers out there surprisingly. I was afraid it would affect my EDD but didn't seem to. *knock on wood*
I got my first trade in Text on 12/9
the next trade in prompt on 12/28, when I called the SA they said we try to do this if we think your vehcile could be here within 30 days
I got a vin on 1/7

Reactions: samori01
Similar experience here. I got quotes from Carvana and KBB and Edmunds and got a bunch of texts immediately after from Mercedes dealers wanting me to bring the car in. Got the text from Tesla, said what the hell, and gave them my VIN. Their quote was only $500 dollars less than the other quotes, which was worth it to me given the uncertainty of the delivery process and the hassle of getting the car inspected by a third party. There is no sales tax impact/benefit here in California.

Reactions: 45thParallel
Correct me if I'm wrong here, I've sold couple cars via KBB instant offers. You do not need to pay any taxes on your end when you sell your car. The buyer of your car is responsible for the tax when they/he/she transfer the ownership over to them. They pay the tax based on local rate against the price they purchased from you.

Reactions: eric.freeman
Correct me if I'm wrong here, I've sold couple cars via KBB instant offers. You do not need to pay any taxes on your end when you sell your car. The buyer of your car is responsible for the tax when they/he/she transfer the ownership over to them. They pay the tax based on local rate against the price they purchased from you.
How taxes are handled on a trade in is state specific AFAIK.

I feel your pain. Same OD. It's painful to think, after waiting 5 months, I still have 5 more months of waiting.
I am in the same boat but just found out that my profile was just submitted even though it was suggested by the Tesla rep to update the method of payment. I would contact Tesla to make sure your profile is submitted so there are no additional delays.

Reactions: in2survive
Here in MN there is a sales tax when purchases a car. But if you trade in a car, then the value of your new purchase is reduced by the value of your trade-in since you have already paid sales tax on that car before. This applies only to purchase and trade-in with the same dealer.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Similar experience here. I got quotes from Carvana and KBB and Edmunds and got a bunch of texts immediately after from Mercedes dealers wanting me to bring the car in. Got the text from Tesla, said what the hell, and gave them my VIN. Their quote was only $500 dollars less than the other quotes, which was worth it to me given the uncertainty of the delivery process and the hassle of getting the car inspected by a third party. There is no sales tax impact/benefit here in California.
Another important point, Tesla's quotes are valid for 1 month and 1000 miles, unlike Carvana's which run out in 7 days.

Here in MN there is a sales tax when purchases a car. But if you trade in a car, then the value of your new purchase is reduced by the value of your trade-in since you have already paid sales tax on that car before. This applies only to purchase and trade-in with the same dealer.
Agree, same in Canada, but when you look at the "Details" on the Tesla Account, it is not how they show you the trade-in. I talked to my SA about it, he said they will fix that when you come in for delivery, which is WEIRD since the amount you will pay is less... so in theory if you pre-pay before they fix it, you will be paying more.