Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August Order Estimate Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, I order the same day and took me about a week to complete the form. Although the only thing I left behind was the trade-in. I was debating if I should or shouldn't add it. In hindsight, I should have done cash right away and changed it later. But honestly, I don't think there is any logic to EDD. There is another member here, also from Toronto that ordered two days after me and he has an earlier EDD and 14 days window. Who knows? Certainly not the SAs :)
Tesla seems to do batch production a lot for color, 5/7 seat etc. they also send a minimum number of vehicles to an area in a single trip. So someone in Minneapolis might get a White colored one ahead of someone in Milwaukee if they ar ending a full load to Minneapolis. So scheduling is a complex and optimized for production and delivery.

Picked up my baby this morning. Oddest thing ever, I didn’t get an S.A. ever assigned to me. I got to Tesla, opened the car with the app and found a fed-ex envelope inside with the keys. Inspected car, looked good, drove off… Just happy I got my car. 😁#touchless experience
d75ed889-9ee1-48b3-a8a8-2c0ff9d62519-jpeg.756854
View attachment 756855
Congratulations...! I never got the name of our SA either. We get text respond back tried asking name no response...

Reactions: jr87
Tesla seems to do batch production a lot for color, 5/7 seat etc. they also send a minimum number of vehicles to an area in a single trip. So someone in Minneapolis might get a White colored one ahead of someone in Milwaukee if they ar ending a full load to Minneapolis. So scheduling is a complex and optimized for production and delivery.
This idea of batch production was also my guess based on people posting vin numbers and whether intel/amd was installed. It seemed like the vin wasn't closely aligned with whether or not people had the new processor. I noticed that similar colors in similar vin ranges were more correlated to whether the new feature was included. I didn't pop it in a spreadsheet-- just kind of noticed a fuzzy pattern in my head. Then, yesterday, someone posted a delivery video on YouTube. They were picking up their white modely Y and there were half a dozen white model Y's parked together in the lot.

There must be some logic to the madness, but the example I mentioned is also the same config as mine, vanilla Y, both in the same area. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 45thParallel
Delivery day with home delivery. From what the person who called about delivery told me if there is no payment to collect they will just drop the car and drive off and I unlock the car from the app. Then what? I don’t remember much from my test drive in August. Not even how to put the car in reverse or drive. I do know there is no start button anywhere.

Do they include a “quick start” guide in some form? If not any newbie resources?

Reactions: J1513
Delivery day with home delivery. From what the person who called about delivery told me if there is no payment to collect they will just drop the car and drive off and I unlock the car from the app. Then what? I don’t remember much from my test drive in August. Not even how to put the car in reverse or drive. I do know there is no start button anywhere.

Do they include a “quick start” guide in some form? If not any newbie resources?
There are a bunch of video guides in the app.

So the cards are used to unlock the car, then you need to put the card on the center console close to the arm rest (Tesla will show you exactly where)
Tesla has that Steering wheel lever. That if you push all the way up, REVERSE, then if you push one time down its Drive
the car basically does not start or stop, it just goes to sleep, the card activates it
the guide is available on your Tesla App, but I have only watched the autopilot video, it‘s quite good

Is it consistent for folks in the same delivery area? My theory on how the EDD behaves is tied to the “last mile” delivery of the vehicle, since that’s the least predictable.
It is possible that this only applied for East coast folks, since the Theory is that they get their delivery first, CA has always been railroaded by these EDD jumps because “hey they are an easier delivery forTesla“, which is kinda terrible on their part

If you go to the App on your phone, they have quick start videos. I used those videos to do a test drive.
I have set up home delivery for this Friday. But after making the payment I decided to add FSD and also trade in one of our Lexus SUV's. I am thus owed $28k from Tesla. I am wondering if they will make the payment before driving away with my trade-in car. I could not find any answer through Google search both on and off this forum. I only saw a couple of years old information Tesla refunds money in 2 weeks. I know Tesla is unlikely to be playing dirty but still concerned that the rules they have for us before driving away may or do not apply to them.

Reactions: DrGriz and leaftoy
Is it consistent for folks in the same delivery area? My theory on how the EDD behaves is tied to the “last mile” delivery of the vehicle, since that’s the least predictable.
That may well apply in west coast states and more importantly in CA where there are a large number of deliveries. Here in the fly over territory there may be one lot of deliveries in a week and then nothing the following week. The total number of cars in my state may not even be a tenth of Tesla's in Santa Clara county alone. Again, this is a wild guess on my part reading posts of people here and trying to make sense if there is a basis here or it is just organized chaos on the part of Tesla's delivery system;)

Reactions: JCKnoxville
So the cards are used to unlock the car, then you need to put the card on the center console close to the arm rest (Tesla will show you exactly where)
Tesla has that Steering wheel lever. That if you push all the way up, REVERSE, then if you push one time down its Drive
the car basically does not start or stop, it just goes to sleep, the card activates it
the guide is available on your Tesla App, but I have only watched the autopilot video, it‘s quite good
I am going to make a wild guess both you and I get a delivery earlier than forecast. Reason? There were no deliveries in the first week of January and so when loading started on 7th onwards there was no waiting time cutting time by a couple of days. There is no snow here in MN this week and so I am hoping to get it early so I can install the accessories and learn to drive on the weekend. You on the other hand are doing interstate travel within hours of taking delivery. You are a pro man!

@45thParallel just fyi, the other member I'm referring to is @LitePhoenix99. Two days later order in Toronto, same config and his EDD is better than mine.
I think we should all vote to who should be getting that vanilla Y first, me or @LitePhoenix99. :)
I would not worry about EDD's. @Tararua had delivery date ahead of me, but because he missed delivery in December he got pushed out based on color batching. This week in the mid-west there are many white colored MY deliveries. It is all about batching at Tesla, mainly due to the painting process. One wastes a lot of paint having to purge old paint. So black to white needs a lot more purging than light color to light color and so forth. So they have to sequence batching to optimize paint useage.