Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin or Fremont MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bull

Chatting is great, just don't shoot the Bull.
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ
A very good friend of mine has placed an order for a MYP and just overheard another customer at the SC requesting an Austin MYP. He asked my opinion but I'm a MS guy and know very little about the MY.

Apparently he is allowed to request an Austin build even though he lives in Arizona (I thought Austin was East coast deliveries only). Is the MYP available with 4680 cells? He drives his cars for a very long time (10+ years) and will need to charge to 100% to make his 1-2x weekly commute to work and back. I'm going to point him to this post and encourage him to join the forum.

What is the consensus here about which version is preferable?

Interesting, that's the first news about choosing Fremont or Austin.
Previously I thought the "choice" was to get a Y-LR that would come from either factory, or order a Y-AWD which would only come from Austin.
As @Yelobird says, if its MYP is only coming from Fremont right now so the answer to that other customer would have been no :)

If I had to make a bet on whether that SA is clueless or knows something new, I'd take the clueless side.

But you never know, Austin may start building MYP.
But unless one wants a LR AWD I don't think there will ever be a way to request which factory you get it from....again leading me to the "clueless" option.
I assume everything out of an SA's mouth is complete BS until proven otherwise.

Should also be noted that I don't think there are any plans to use 4680 in MYP. Even the LRs out of Austin are not 4680. Just another reason that SA was clueless.

If I had to make a bet on whether that SA is clueless or knows something new, I'd take the clueless side.

But you never know, Austin may start building MYP.
But unless one wants a LR AWD I don't think there will ever be a way to request which factory you get it from....again leading me to the "clueless" option.
I assume everything out of an SA's mouth is complete BS until proven otherwise.

Should also be noted that I don't think there are any plans to use 4680 in MYP. Even the LRs out of Austin are not 4680. Just another reason that SA was clueless.
I'm going to have to agree with you on all of this. This stuff happens way too often. Thanks to all for clearing this up.

I live in San Antonio but our MYLR 7 seater is being built in Fremont. Thought that was odd
as @voip-ninja said, not really odd at all.
Austin is still in their production ramp, so isn't ready to do what Fremont can currently do.
All white interior cars are only Fremont as well.
Fremont is currently building Model S, X, 3 and Y while Austin is just building some configs of Model Y.
Just like Shanghai is just 3 & Y and Berlin is just Y