Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australia: Summary of Charging Equipment & Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only thing you haven't include is safety, Powerpoints over 15-20amps (can't remember exact figure) aren't required to have an RCD, and older (install pre release of AS3000) powerpoints may not have so there is higher risk using those outlets.

Only thing you haven't include is safety, Powerpoints over 15-20amps (can't remember exact figure) aren't required to have an RCD, and older (install pre release of AS3000) powerpoints may not have so there is higher risk using those outlets.

Household electrical safety And installation standards, or at other visited locations, is beyond the scope of the article, although totally agree on how important it is.

Don't know whether you want to include it, but there is also a three flat pin 20 amp PowerPoint available. Single phase. Basically the three pins are all the same size as the 15 amp earth pin. A 15 amp industrial plug will fit and contact can be made but it is a bit dicey. I have just made myself a 20 to 15 amp adaptor. The socket happens to be available at the premises of my voluntary job, which is why I need it, but it is, admittedly, pretty uncommon.

Last edited:
Don't know whether you want to include it, but there is also a three flat pin 20 amp PowerPoint available. Single phase. Basically the three pins are all the same size as the 15 amp earth pin. A 15 amp industrial plug will fit and contact can be made but it is a bit dicey. I have just made myself a 20 to 15 amp adaptor. The socket happens to be available at the premises of my voluntary job, which is why I need it, but it is, admittedly, pretty uncommon.

That's interesting, thanks for letting me know - I've never seen one of them. I will look into them.

I see that Tesla sells a J1772 adapter for $95 - Model S/X/3 SAE J1772 Charging Adapter . Is the EVnomics one for $270 better in some way, e.g. faster charging or doesn't need some other intermediate adaptor I don't know about, or compatibility or something? I'm thinking of getting it as an 'emergency backup' for a trip to Tassie; already have a chademo. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-31_10-12-29.png
    upload_2018-5-31_10-12-29.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 62
  • upload_2018-5-31_10-12-36.png
    upload_2018-5-31_10-12-36.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 49