Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tracking still shows it being in Hong Kong, no updates since then.

However, I have just gone outside and found a box on my doorstep, which contains the car mats.
But, just the car mats, not the boot and frunk.

Be interesting to see what everyone else has had delivered....

Reactions: Tesl3on
My tracking still shows it being in Hong Kong, no updates since then.

However, I have just gone outside and found a box on my doorstep, which contains the car mats.
But, just the car mats, not the boot and frunk.

Be interesting to see what everyone else has had delivered....
My mats are still on their leisurely cruise around Hong Kong, it seems. Hopefully they tire of that and push on to Perth.

Nope! There’s a street with the same name as mine in Queensland (difference being mine is a Grove, and this is a Street) about 40 minutes from Redbank, so I’m wondering if it’s a sorting issue. I’ve never had any issues with Australia Post before.
There is a same street and suberb as mine in NSW somewhere I’be been pretty lucky they haven’t been getting a pile of stuff from aliexpress or been signed up to FTTP nbn haha

• Funny
Today I finally found the time to attempt to install the Frunk Suction device (an accessory to pull the front boot closed).

The basic installation was straightforward: remove the various trim pieces, unbolt existing latch, bolt suction device over the top, run the wiring. Took about 40 minutes.

After that, I spent the next three hours trying to get the installation to work properly. I should say that my front boot (sorry, I just can't bring myself to say 'frunk') is not perfectly aligned ex factory. I have got it pretty right by adjusting the black leveling screws under the leading corners of the front boot lid. Anyway, with the suction device installed, I experienced the following:
  • when the various adjustments are such that the suction device will work, the front boot is not aligned (one side is lower than the other)
  • when the adjustments result in a reasonably-aligned front boot lid, the suction device does not pull down far enough to engage the latch - it pops back up half way (latched, but not closed)
  • various other adjustments also resulted in situations where the front boot could not be closed because the original latch was not aligned.
In the end, like @dronus (I believe) I have removed the device. I could not find a combination of adjustments (there is some flexibility in positioning of both the original latch mechanism and the suction device) that I deem to be satisfactory.

I have some theories about just exactly why this thing doesn't work for me. I suspect the fact that I've had to make some adjustments to allow for a slight misalignment of the front boot lid mean that the suction device is applying pressure to the mechanisms in 'closed state', and causing a problem.

Anyway, I am going to write this one off as a bad call. In my month of ownership, I have so far never needed to use the front boot (I suppose that I'll have to re-fill the washer bottle at some stage, or I could just sell the car), so I think that reverting to fully manual operation will not be a drama.

Side note: there is a shed-load of clever-dickery under the trim in the front of the car. Absence of a spinning ICE dictates a very different approach to heating and cooling - and it's really interesting to see how Tesla handles this, and how cleverly it's all put together.

Reactions: PcS000 and dronus
Today I finally found the time to attempt to install the Frunk Suction device (an accessory to pull the front boot closed).

The basic installation was straightforward: remove the various trim pieces, unbolt existing latch, bolt suction device over the top, run the wiring. Took about 40 minutes.

After that, I spent the next three hours trying to get the installation to work properly. I should say that my front boot (sorry, I just can't bring myself to say 'frunk') is not perfectly aligned ex factory. I have got it pretty right by adjusting the black leveling screws under the leading corners of the front boot lid. Anyway, with the suction device installed, I experienced the following:
  • when the various adjustments are such that the suction device will work, the front boot is not aligned (one side is lower than the other)
  • when the adjustments result in a reasonably-aligned front boot lid, the suction device does not pull down far enough to engage the latch - it pops back up half way (latched, but not closed)
  • various other adjustments also resulted in situations where the front boot could not be closed because the original latch was not aligned.
In the end, like @dronus (I believe) I have removed the device. I could not find a combination of adjustments (there is some flexibility in positioning of both the original latch mechanism and the suction device) that I deem to be satisfactory.

I have some theories about just exactly why this thing doesn't work for me. I suspect the fact that I've had to make some adjustments to allow for a slight misalignment of the front boot lid mean that the suction device is applying pressure to the mechanisms in 'closed state', and causing a problem.

Anyway, I am going to write this one off as a bad call. In my month of ownership, I have so far never needed to use the front boot (I suppose that I'll have to re-fill the washer bottle at some stage, or I could just sell the car), so I think that reverting to fully manual operation will not be a drama.

Side note: there is a shed-load of clever-dickery under the trim in the front of the car. Absence of a spinning ICE dictates a very different approach to heating and cooling - and it's really interesting to see how Tesla handles this, and how cleverly it's all put together.
Yeah I’ve got it 99% pretty close.
The trick is that the way that you think you should adjust it is actually opposite, once I worked this out I got it really, really close. It’s like 1mm out. I don’t think it’s possible to get it perfect without modifying the bracket.

I’ve been using the front trunk a bit while travelling, it’s super handy to have all the dog stuff in there so it’s easy to get too and away from all my stuff. Handy to just push it down and it closes and locks in.

I might end up doing the same tho, it was a fun experiment but I probably don’t need it and one less wire connected to the battery is probably a good thing.

I wonder if the full opening things are any better..

Reactions: PcS000
Yeah I’ve got it 99% pretty close.
The trick is that the way that you think you should adjust it is actually opposite, once I worked this out I got it really, really close. It’s like 1mm out. I don’t think it’s possible to get it perfect without modifying the bracket.

I’ve been using the front trunk a bit while travelling, it’s super handy to have all the dog stuff in there so it’s easy to get too and away from all my stuff. Handy to just push it down and it closes and locks in.

I might end up doing the same tho, it was a fun experiment but I probably don’t need it and one less wire connected to the battery is probably a good thing.

I wonder if the full opening things are any better..

When I got it to the point where I was happy with how things looked closed, the device was not able to pull the lid down far enough to latch it.

I tried putting some washers behind the ball (between the ball and the bracket that attaches the ball to the lever) to try to take out the slack and make it pull down a bit lower, but no dice. I couldn't find a position of the suction device that would pull down all the way when the OEM latch and the lid adjustment leveling screws are set such that the lid closes reasonably evenly.

I don't mind sharing boot space with my wife's stuff. And we don't usually take long trips with the grand-daughter, who makes things stinky. Her parents can deal with that!!

Reactions: PcS000 and dronus
When I got it to the point where I was happy with how things looked closed, the device was not able to pull the lid down far enough to latch it.

I tried putting some washers behind the ball (between the ball and the bracket that attaches the ball to the lever) to try to take out the slack and make it pull down a bit lower, but no dice. I couldn't find a position of the suction device that would pull down all the way when the OEM latch and the lid adjustment leveling screws are set such that the lid closes reasonably evenly.

I don't mind sharing boot space with my wife's stuff. And we don't usually take long trips with the grand-daughter, who makes things stinky. Her parents can deal with that!!
Ha ours must be slightly different as mine closes every time, no matter how unaligned the bonnet is.

Ha ours must be slightly different as mine closes every time, no matter how unaligned the bonnet is.

Hmmm... I might try one more thing (based on your suggestion to do the opposite of what you think). I tried putting the suction device LOWER to make it pull down lower. Maybe that has some impact on the way the mechanics of the pulling cam works. Perhaps if I try it HIGHER, it might be better positioned to pull down and even relieve the pressure after pulling down. I'll have another go when I get a chance, I don't like to be bested by technology.

Reactions: dronus
Hmmm... I might try one more thing (based on your suggestion to do the opposite of what you think). I tried putting the suction device LOWER to make it pull down lower. Maybe that has some impact on the way the mechanics of the pulling cam works. Perhaps if I try it HIGHER, it might be better positioned to pull down and even relieve the pressure after pulling down. I'll have another go when I get a chance, I don't like to be bested by technology.
Yeah set the stoppers all the way up (shortest) so they are out of play, then work on getting it straight by adjusting the actuators bracket.
Pushing the bottom of the right of the actuator bracket actually brings the left of the bonnet lower as it is pushing the loop in the bonnet the opposite direction if that makes sense? Like a lever.
Then, when it’s close, and the latch is engaging reliably, dial out the stoppers to reduce any movement if you push on the corner of the bonnet when it’s closed.

Hope that makes sense

Has anyone bought wheel covers? My car is coming with the Photons but keen to explore different looks, but also something that will protect the entire rim from curb rash.
I bought the wheel covers that look like the underlying alloy. They looked great but I went to put them on they just wouldn’t fit. I think I tried each of them on each wheel with no luck. I’d get 80-90% on but that last little ‘click’ just wasn’t happening. I think they got a measurement wrong somewhere for the version I was sent.

I gave up and bought centre caps instead, much cheaper too. I’m very happy with my second choice.

I bought the wheel covers that look like the underlying alloy. They looked great but I went to put them on they just wouldn’t fit. I think I tried each of them on each wheel with no luck. I’d get 80-90% on but that last little ‘click’ just wasn’t happening. I think they got a measurement wrong somewhere for the version I was sent.

I gave up and bought centre caps instead, much cheaper too. I’m very happy with my second choice.
I have centre caps and wheel nut cap things in the shed somewhere.. should check it out.. I kinda dig the look of the factory covers tho atm but it’s only kinky the first time.
Do you have any pics of the wheels with the centre caps?

Reactions: PcS000
Wonderful.

IMG_4105.png

Jesus, that's a bummer.

FYI, I did email them on Tuesday asking them to cancel my order, the day before the floor mats showed up.
I figured I should cancel and just buy from the Aussie site, who say they have stock and are cheaper!!

However, I have no idea if my boot and frunk matts will show up, or where they are, although tracking suggests that maybe they are in Melbourne? But this is so odd because this tracking was updated after I received my delivery.

I got unlucky I think because the drivers side carpet piece is broken and missing a piece of plastic underneath, where it attaches to the rubber mat. It still attaches, but not sure I can just accept something faulty at this price. So now need to figure out how to return.

All in all, as nice as they look, I am regretting ordering them. Far too expensive for this messing around.

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 6.55.33 am.png

Reactions: dronus
Jesus, that's a bummer.

FYI, I did email them on Tuesday asking them to cancel my order, the day before the floor mats showed up.
I figured I should cancel and just buy from the Aussie site, who say they have stock and are cheaper!!

However, I have no idea if my boot and frunk matts will show up, or where they are, although tracking suggests that maybe they are in Melbourne? But this is so odd because this tracking was updated after I received my delivery.

I got unlucky I think because the drivers side carpet piece is broken and missing a piece of plastic underneath, where it attaches to the rubber mat. It still attaches, but not sure I can just accept something faulty at this price. So now need to figure out how to return.

All in all, as nice as they look, I am regretting ordering them. Far too expensive for this messing around.

View attachment 1032365
That’s a real shame mate. Definitely get in contact with the Aussie store as they’re really helpful.