Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things I still cannot get used to:
- I still want to pull the trunk lid down.
- I still want to pull the key out when leaving.
- The most annoying: it asks to tap the brake pedal to switch to drive. I however would call it "fully depress the brake pedal and hold it there for three seconds" instead. I understand it is a safety feature, but for me it is an irritating safety feature, and it is not a clutch after all.
I heard that a future update will open the boot if you stand behind it as long as your phone key is in your pocket. Great feature when carrying a couple of cartons of beer.

Reactions: dronus
I heard that a future update will open the boot if you stand behind it as long as your phone key is in your pocket. Great feature when carrying a couple of cartons of beer.
I don’t drink beer but if I was carrying a couple of cartons I’d probably wimp out and use a trolley haha. Then all the chips and dips are also going to get a safe ride haha.

Replace cartons of beer with your temu tesla accessories you picked up from the post office.
I’ve never tried temu, a guy at work did and he got sent a huge pleather jacket and a gag ball. I’ve avoided it since.

Speaking of nothing to do with that has anyone recieved a s3xy knob and buttons yet? Keen to hear how it’s going in regards to things like resuming AP after changing lanes etc.

Still waiting for self park to be avail before buying EAP, or see if it gets included in AP

I’ve never tried temu, a guy at work did and he got sent a huge pleather jacket and a gag ball. I’ve avoided it since.

Speaking of nothing to do with that has anyone recieved a s3xy knob and buttons yet? Keen to hear how it’s going in regards to things like resuming AP after changing lanes etc.

Still waiting for self park to be avail before buying EAP, or see if it gets included in AP

S3XY Knob is not yet shipping for Highland. They needed to update the physical aspects for the newer car.

I received the Commander and buttons a little while ago. They work as advertised. Resuming AP after lane change works (does not need/use buttons). It's great.

I have so far installed just one button. I placed it on the horizontal surface under the leading edge of the centre arm rest. It opens the glove box. I don't put anything valuable in there, so no security issue. Makes it simple for passenger to open and use the box. Been too busy to think about other button uses.

With the relocated centre screen (see earlier post) the 'gear change' is a bit harder to see/reach. When the Knob arrives, its first job will be to change 'gears'. (I could do that now with buttons - but the Knob will be better.)

1714011205526.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wagits and dronus
So here’s a bit of fun.
I use a pi zero2 w to capture all my sentry and recent footage etc. It connects to my home wifi and uploads it to my nas. I can sync music and light shows to it too by putting them in the folder.
I also was playing around with its hostap mode where it acts as an access point when it’s away from home so I can connect from my phone to review all the footage.
I could never work out how to review footage after the window closes in the car after an event.
So.. what if I associate the car wifi to the pi zero wifi and then use the car browser to review footage?
Actually works really well. You can view all sentry events and recent clips, so any events on the road without having to take out the usb.
Viewing from my phone I can also downloads clips.
Pretty cool :)

So here’s a bit of fun.
I use a pi zero2 w to capture all my sentry and recent footage etc. It connects to my home wifi and uploads it to my nas. I can sync music and light shows to it too by putting them in the folder.
I also was playing around with its hostap mode where it acts as an access point when it’s away from home so I can connect from my phone to review all the footage.
I could never work out how to review footage after the window closes in the car after an event.
So.. what if I associate the car wifi to the pi zero wifi and then use the car browser to review footage?
Actually works really well. You can view all sentry events and recent clips, so any events on the road without having to take out the usb.
Viewing from my phone I can also downloads clips.
Pretty cool :)
Sounds great, I really should set one of those up

Reactions: dronus
My apologies if this has been answered beforehand, the keywords I’m searching for didn’t bring it up.

Lately I’d been using scheduled departure d and charging. It works fantastic timing the charging then preconditioning the battery and cabin.
During this routine it does have a stage towards the end of charging where it says warming battery for optimal performance.
This is all excellent, and I’m loving being able to get into a fully charged, warm car every morning.

My question is this:

Does the battery warming only work with scheduled departure? Ie if I’m at work at I remotely set the climate control on the warm the cabin up, will it also warm the battery if it needs it?
Or does that only happen if you use scheduled departure?
As scheduled departure doesn’t appear to be location aware I will probably be too lazy to change it during the day, but as the days get colder I’m hoping to do what I can to have the battery looked after for my evening commute.

My apologies if this has been answered beforehand, the keywords I’m searching for didn’t bring it up.

Lately I’d been using scheduled departure d and charging. It works fantastic timing the charging then preconditioning the battery and cabin.
During this routine it does have a stage towards the end of charging where it says warming battery for optimal performance.
This is all excellent, and I’m loving being able to get into a fully charged, warm car every morning.

My question is this:

Does the battery warming only work with scheduled departure? Ie if I’m at work at I remotely set the climate control on the warm the cabin up, will it also warm the battery if it needs it?
Or does that only happen if you use scheduled departure?
As scheduled departure doesn’t appear to be location aware I will probably be too lazy to change it during the day, but as the days get colder I’m hoping to do what I can to have the battery looked after for my evening commute.
I’m going to suggest it is nowhere near cold enough in Adelaide (even on the coldest day) for the battery needing to be warmed before use