Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went and changed my screen protectors over to the HD clear ones.
The matte ones were making everything look fuzzy and unclear. Maybe it was just my glasses but it was annoying me.
The clear ones look better. I suck at applying them but it does look better.

Yep, my previous model 3 I had the matte ones but it takes away the crisp image and things look dull so I went with clear ones this time around.

Reactions: dronus
Yeah thought id try it, didnt like it.

Didnt take snywhere as much care putting these second ones on, its like having a second kid
Screen protectors are the worst. I spent so long cleaning my screen and applying perfectly. Then I put it on and start driving and notice a speak of dust. Try to wipe it away and it doesn't move - realise its under the protector and I could scream.
Third time applying I got it right and never want to take that thing off again.

I understand a screen protector for a phone but what's the logic here - is it simply a "just in case" given how expensive the screen replacement could be? Or is there an actual risk in some scenario I'm not thinking about - maybe this is children related?

I prefer no protection cos it just feels better
austin-powers-dangerously.gif

I understand a screen protector for a phone but what's the logic here - is it simply a "just in case" given how expensive the screen replacement could be? Or is there an actual risk in some scenario I'm not thinking about - maybe this is children related?

View attachment 1023817
I notmally wouldnt care but every time i unfold my windscreen shade my butt puckers a littke bit as it goes past the screen

View attachment 1023817
The good ones do reduce glare and are less prone to fingerprints. Ofc it's definitely high on the "optional" side of accessories

$20 for peace of mind is a no brainer and they apparently reduce fingerprints so for the cost I reckon its worth it. Better to have it and not need than need it and not have it right?
The clear one has been good today, no glare and seems more responsive. The matte one might have had some polarizing in it which my coke bottle glasses didn't like making it a not very pleasant experience. Gave it a shot, took it off and sent it to landfill.

I also had my first oopsie today. I’m furious.
Crunched under the nose on an aggressive lowered curb into my friends guest parking.
It’s a monster scratch across the from 50% but not visible from front unless you look under. 😡
Don’t have heart to post an image.
Ahh its like when you get a nice new pair of shoes... you keep them clean as possible then some moron steps on them and says "Christened your shoes".
Only difference is you can punch them, but not yourself..

I am sooooo nervous around those concrete things they put in carparks, the stopper things. And, any garden bed i have to nose up to.... would be super handy to have a camera there...

Ahh its like when you get a nice new pair of shoes... you keep them clean as possible then some moron steps on them and says "Christened your shoes".
Only difference is you can punch them, but not yourself..

I am sooooo nervous around those concrete things they put in carparks, the stopper things. And, any garden bed i have to nose up to.... would be super handy to have a camera there...
The massive benefit of the sound pricing in the cabin was that I couldn’t hear the horrible scratching and crunching very well.
And agree, I’ll get it fixed when I need something else being done. Hopefully I can still get ceramic coating and just ignore that bit. 😆

They're called wheel stops. There's an Australian Standard for them. (Hey, it's me, right...) They should be between 90mm and 100mm in height. At that height, it would be perfectly safe to approach with M3 forwards or backwards.

Some shopping centres and other places have absurdly high wheel stops. I don't suppose you'd get anywhere if you damaged your car on one and then pointed out that it does not comply with AS2890.1:2004. But you could try!

I pulled the front bar off my Subaru Liberty RX many years ago when I went over a non-compliant wheel stop that had 10mm high bolts sticking out the top. Backing out did the damage...

This (promotional material) shows how they SHOULD be installed:

1709447427787.png

They're called wheel stops. There's an Australian Standard for them. (Hey, it's me, right...) They should be between 90mm and 100mm in height. At that height, it would be perfectly safe to approach with M3 forwards or backwards.

Some shopping centres and other places have absurdly high wheel stops. I don't suppose you'd get anywhere if you damaged your car on one and then pointed out that it does not comply with AS2890.1:2004. But you could try!

I pulled the front bar off my Subaru Liberty RX many years ago when I went over a non-compliant wheel stop that had 10mm high bolts sticking out the top. Backing out did the damage...

This (promotional material) shows how they SHOULD be installed:

View attachment 1024107
Ohh im pretty sure there are lots of non-conforming wheel stops here.

Some even have a raised area behind them so even if you get over the stop, the bumper hits behind.. Ive scraped my calais a few times.

So I ended up ordering the S3XY Commander with the 4 buttons.. still not sure if I actually need it but I guess we will see if I find it useful.

Can't remember the exact date but will be shipped later this month.
Ive had them in my cart so many times, but managed to talk myself out of it. Just cant find something that makes them useful... but im super keen to hea how you go :)

Reactions: Moops
Spent some happy time this arvo installing various bits and bobs into my M3. Photos and comments follow:

Boot lip and side protection (Ali Express)

1709447682176.jpeg

Easily done. Looks OEM. Recommended.

Mud flaps (Amazon)

1709447752686.jpeg

1709447777184.jpeg

Very low profile. Very good fit (scuplted for every curve of the inner guards). Based on driving in rain yesterday evening, they had SOME beneficial effect. Hoping that the low profile does not harm range too much.

Pedal covers (Braumach Auto Parts, but almost certainly available at half the price from Ali Express)

1709448050943.jpeg

Look GREAT from at least a 1m distance. A bit rough and ready up close. Install tip: leave them in the sun for 20mins to soften the rubber, and the job is easily done.

Door sill covers (front and rear, X-Car on eBay)

1709448158880.jpeg

1709448329482.jpeg

These are the things I'm least convinced about. Clearly they WILL protect the sills, but I'm not at all sold on the MODEL 3 'branding'. Install tip: these things have Velcro all over the back and WILL grip the carpet in all the wrong places as you install. Use the Dronus Method (tm): slip some paper (or the plastic bags they came in) between the carpet and Velcro while you position them, and then pull it out when ready to have the Velcro grab on.

'Secret' storage compartment in armrest (Ali Express)

1709448521302.jpeg

1709448540120.jpeg

Easy to install. Does what it says on the tin. Not sure what I'll use it for.

And just for giggles, an odd-ball owl-cat that gave me the stink-eye on my morning walk.

1709448653674.jpeg