Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AusMar
See here:
It's not on drivers side so it's not a problem in terms of drivability, safety.

IMG_3250.jpeg

Reactions: AusMar
Sadly passed 7,000km yesterday just as a car flicked up a rock and broke the windscreen, really bad too. About 50c size instant star and within 5 min had spread 30cm across the windscreen. Really not looking forward to the repair, or the fact ive got to have it done so soon into ownership.

View attachment 1040116
It can happen at any time and completely at random.
My 9 year old Model S has the original windscreen but 3 years ago I took my classic car for a drive and a hard driving Mitsubishi Magna didn’t slow for roadwork and flung a rock into the screen. Thought I had got away with it until I got home and found a long crack under the wiper arm. Fully a year to find a rare screen that had to be flown in from the UK.

Something I just saw for the first time but didn’t get a screenshot…

Just went to drop the lad at work and because it is like the Antarctic out there thought I’d fire up the cabin heater first via the app.

I’d seen the air, steering wheel and seat animations in the app before but to my surprise it also showed a red heater animation on the windscreen and rear glass!

How cool was that!!

Anyone else here have issues with the haptic 'right' blinker? Happens to me at least once a day, not sure if it's my thumb placement but will be including it to be investigated in my service call for the parcel tray.
I've missed the left a few times in the early days by hitting it too close to the edge. Quickly learned to avoid that part, never had any issue with right.

Reactions: dronus
I've missed the left a few times in the early days by hitting it too close to the edge. Quickly learned to avoid that part, never had any issue with right.
How instinctive is it now though hey :)
I don’t have to look anymore, you can feel which position the steering wheel is in and you can easily touch the required indicator button.
With a tiny bit of open mindedness and acceptance to change we can change a habit and learn something new :)

Reactions: Jules22
How instinctive is it now though hey :)
I don’t have to look anymore, you can feel which position the steering wheel is in and you can easily touch the required indicator button.
With a tiny bit of open mindedness and acceptance to change we can change a habit and learn something new :)
I know, people just lose their minds of the smallest things. The entry motel we've been in the past few days has this wicked ~120 degree left turn followed immediately by another 90 right (and the opposite going the other way). I've been going in and out of that constantly over the past few days without even thinking about it, it was only last night that I realised how impossible it was supposed to be to be able to indicate on turns like that.

Before I got the car, if they'd said I could have stalks for free, I'd probably have taken them, just in case, now they'd have to pay me a decent chunk if they wanted me to give up my buttons and go back to crappy stalks.

Reactions: divstar and dronus
At least it’s on the passenger side so you can drive the car until Tesla (or whoever you get to replace) is ready to do it on a day convenient for you, minimal time off the road.

And depending on your insurance policy, should be a “free” no-excess claim.

These things happen. I’ve had one stone chip resin repaired in 4+ years of driving - it could have happened on Day 1 or yesterday, it is what it is.
Yep that is a bonus. Though it's grown about 10cm more since then, will get it booked in tomorrow. Car has a service appointment on Wednesday to remedy some things but I'm assuming NRMA (no claim windscreen) will want me to go through O'Briens. Had a really crap experience with them last time so will see if I can find another outpost or if Tesla can do it.

I've got through maybe one every 2 years on my other cars. The Hume between Bowral and Campbelltown might as well be a gravel road with how much damage is done to the front end and windscreens. The part that's bugging me is now in the back of my mind I'm starting to question my car choice, don't get me wrong I love the car and I know it could happen to any car at any time, but I'm wondering if I should have just gone a generic SUV I hate and let it get beaten up! I love this car too much to see it getting damaged.

Reactions: dronus
At the end of the day, it's just a car. You take as much care as you can, but things are going to happen.
I agree, just enjoy the present moment driving it. Can’t control the future or the past, just enjoy it now :)
My car is filthy from the big drive yesterday and the overnight dew. Didn’t get a chance to wash it today so it’s staying that way until I do.

Reactions: AusMar
I agree, just enjoy the present moment driving it. Can’t control the future or the past, just enjoy it now :)
My car is filthy from the big drive yesterday and the overnight dew. Didn’t get a chance to wash it today so it’s staying that way until I do.
You should see mine after two weeks in the Victorian and south Australian regions. Not to mention the Adelaide pubes.

Did pick up a decent scratch under the rear passenger door from a branch that flicked up. Oh well.

Reactions: AusMar and dronus
It rains👍. I have not washed the MY in 10months apart from getting rid of the occasional bird bomb
We not getting too much rain here, just that morning dew which converts the dust to mud.
Soon enough it will be pouring everyday and I won’t even be looking at the cars paint haha.
The other day I think a teradacktyl took a dump on my windscreen. It was a bit of a mess I had to hose off, it even got into those bits in the wiper blades so turning them on was like spreading smooth peanut butter.

• Funny
Reactions: Quickst