Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny… I was in Canberra for a few days this week and was expecting to see EV Mecca on the roads, but I saw fewer Teslas than I do in a 10 minute drive in Sydney. I did see some Teslas, a Cupra Born, and a BYD Atto, but that was about it. Maybe all the EV drivers were still on holidays? 🤣
lol, must have been.

I remember commenting on it the first time I came here and back then I really wasn't considering a Tesla, thought they were all well over 100k, etc

Reactions: dronus
Homelink appears to be something that needs to be purchased from Tesla, and not even sure you can even get in Australia now? Plus maybe there is a monthly charge? It all gets a bit confusing.
There's no monthly charge. It's just a one-time service appointment to buy and fit the hardware - put a service request in through the app.

Funny… I was in Canberra for a few days this week and was expecting to see EV Mecca on the roads, but I saw fewer Teslas than I do in a 10 minute drive in Sydney. I did see some Teslas, a Cupra Born, and a BYD Atto, but that was about it. Maybe all the EV drivers were still on holidays? 🤣
At this time of year (basically Boxing Day to the end of the first week in January) half the city migrates down to the south coast. I imagine EV ownership is more concentrated in that half!

lol, must have been.

I remember commenting on it the first time I came here and back then I really wasn't considering a Tesla, thought they were all well over 100k, etc
This is honestly the problem, people have zero idea how affordable they are and that reflects poorly on their owners big time. One of my best mates is in the market for a model Y and his father in law is adamant its a ridiculous car to buy and that my mate can get one the day he finally gets his Ferrari. I'm already bracing for the comments at work because people won't know my car cost the same as a high trim Mazda 6 😅

This is honestly the problem, people have zero idea how affordable they are and that reflects poorly on their owners big time. One of my best mates is in the market for a model Y and his father in law is adamant its a ridiculous car to buy and that my mate can get one the day he finally gets his Ferrari. I'm already bracing for the comments at work because people won't know my car cost the same as a high trim Mazda 6 😅
I had a guy at work start a movement to pre-emptivley ban me from parking my car at work carpark as he heard that when EVs catch fire the fire department cant put them out, unlike a normal petrol car.
I dont even know where to start with that.

I had a guy at work start a movement to pre-emptivley ban me from parking my car at work carpark as he heard that when EVs catch fire the fire department cant put them out, unlike a normal petrol car.
I dont even know where to start with that.
You give them the research report by a big US insurer that shows the reality of car fires broken into number per 100,000 cars. Petrol car Owners will be shocked. Hybrid owners even moreso.
Here is a summary of it. The actual report details hybrids.

You give them the research report by a big US insurer that shows the reality of car fires broken into number per 100,000 cars. Petrol car Owners will be shocked. Hybrid owners even moreso.
Here is a summary of it. The actual report details hybrids.
Im not sure they would be able to read it.
Maybe if today tonight did an expose they will believe it haha.
Although i could use that data to insist they dont park their petrol cars at work…. Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: paulp and Jules22
Hi there.. I picked up Model 3 highland in Brisbane yesterday.. first time Tesla owner and I’ve gotta say this car is an amazing experience! Been testing out all the features today including auto steer and they’re so good.. the two that have me stumped though are summon and auto park. Can’t seem to find summon in the app and can’t find any instructions for auto park.. any tips?

the two that have me stumped though are summon and auto park. Can’t seem to find summon in the app and can’t find any instructions for auto park.. any tips?
Summon and Auto Park are both part of the EAP upgrade, if you don't have that (or FSD, which includes all the EAP features) then you don't have those features available.

You can buy EAP through the app under Upgrades.

• Helpful
Reactions: dronus and paulp
Summon and Auto Park are both part of the EAP upgrade, if you don't have that (or FSD, which includes all the EAP features) then you don't have those features available.

You can buy EAP through the app under Upgrades.
Also if you have only just picked it up you may not have the software update as yet to make this work with non-USS. I think from others here it took 2-3 weeks after delivery before the latest updates came down.

Ta I do have the EAP upgrade but still can’t see them..
As Jules22 says you may need a more recent update. What firmware is your car on now?

And you need to enable summon in the car before it'll show up in the app.
It's under the "Autopilot" menu

1705120891547.png

And for parallel parking, slowly drive past a gap between a line of cars until a P shows up on the display, then put the car in reverse and press "start"
And watch your left mirror like a hawk, because the Tesla will happily scrape the rear wheel if you're not careful.
I've found it helps if you're further away from the cars when you drive past (ie closer to the centre of the road)

For 90 degree reverse parking (like a typical shopping centre carpark) it should pop up a message asking if you want the car to park itself.
I haven't tried that yet, it's easy enough to park myself.