Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a guy at work start a movement to pre-emptivley ban me from parking my car at work carpark as he heard that when EVs catch fire the fire department cant put them out, unlike a normal petrol car.
I dont even know where to start with that.

You could start a campaign to have him banned from the office. Statistically speaking dickheads are more likely to be set on fire, thus his presence is a risk to everyone.

As Jules22 says you may need a more recent update. What firmware is your car on now?

And you need to enable summon in the car before it'll show up in the app.
It's under the "Autopilot" menu

View attachment 1008481

And for parallel parking, slowly drive past a gap between a line of cars until a P shows up on the display, then put the car in reverse and press "start"
And watch your left mirror like a hawk, because the Tesla will happily scrape the rear wheel if you're not careful.
I've found it helps if you're further away from the cars when you drive past (ie closer to the centre of the road)

For 90 degree reverse parking (like a typical shopping centre carpark) it should pop up a message asking if you want the car to park itself.
I haven't tried that yet, it's easy enough to park myself.
Thanks heaps. I have Full Self Drive and firmware is 2024.44.30.8 the weird thing is that summon doesn’t show up on the autopilot menu on the car screen or in the app.. I hope it appears in a future update

Reactions: dronus
Is
At this time of year (basically Boxing Day to the end of the first week in January) half the city migrates down to the south coast. I imagine EV ownership is more concentrated in that half!
Batesmans bay still the go to place? I used to go there as a kid and stay at the camping ground. i think it was near a bridge. Back in those days they hired out tandem bikes, and that was always a treat to go for a rip around the campgounds. Ahh memories.. No phones and technology, just riding around without helmets on and climbing trees. Ohh, and collecting onions, but we didnt know why just yet..

Reactions: X Æ A-12
lol, must have been.

I remember commenting on it the first time I came here and back then I really wasn't considering a Tesla, thought they were all well over 100k, etc
@paulp @meloccom what price range (roughly) were the first AU imported Teslas if you recall? My neighbour bought one of the first M3, he was waiting years from memory.. Still has it here in Adelaide.. Doesn't have powered boot etc, and its only recall was the wiring loom in the boot door.

My first model S was for memory around $150k. at the time it was mindblowing with no big list of extras to buy - everything was included even lifetime supercharging, except ‘insane’ mode (I think it was called insane) which added more acceleration for around $70k, which I didn’t buy. I think there was a smaller battery variant that was 2WD that was around $135k. But it was a long time ago so the numbers above are possibly a bit out. Model 3 came out around 5 or so years later

@paulp @meloccom what price range (roughly) were the first AU imported Teslas if you recall? My neighbour bought one of the first M3, he was waiting years from memory.. Still has it here in Adelaide.. Doesn't have powered boot etc, and its only recall was the wiring loom in the boot door.
Roadster was $206,000 plus on road In Australia. I think extra for the sport.
IIRC my Model S was $146,000 but I didn’t order Performance, winter or High fidelity sound packages. When I ordered in 2012, the AUD was riding high and we were hoping the Model S would be in the region of $125,000 but not to be. Saving for an extra 2 years helped though.
I remember pricing a Model 3 Performance about The time they were released here and remember seeing $110,000 for a fully optioned version. Don’t recall the original starting price for Model 3 but guess it was in the $70K region.

You should carry a few 15A outlets with you and give your friends a free upgrade if you're going that far!

My understanding of the convention is that 15A GPOs should be on their own circuit, e.g. electric oven GPOs are always 15A and always have their own circuit. Which would mean it would be considered poor form to replace a “random” 10A GPO with a 15A one.

I don’t think the wiring rules prohibit it, though, if the conductors are appropriately sized. Maybe someone here with more knowledge of the wiring rules can comment.

Reactions: dronus
My understanding of the convention is that 15A GPOs should be on their own circuit, e.g. electric oven GPOs are always 15A and always have their own circuit. Which would mean it would be considered poor form to replace a “random” 10A GPO with a 15A one.

I don’t think the wiring rules prohibit it, though, if the conductors are appropriately sized. Maybe someone here with more knowledge of the wiring rules can comment.
Back in the day it was worked out as ‘maximum demand’ which you calculated from the number of power points and the length of the run. Ive never run a 15a outlet on a mixed circuit, always its own circuit.
If a circuit was say in a shed and only had a few points, you might get away with it, but imo keeping it separate is the best way as you never know what someone will do after you. Obviously the circuit protection should protect the wiring (assuming it works!) but thats another story :)

I remember pricing a Model 3 Performance about The time they were released here and remember seeing $110,000 for a fully optioned version. Don’t recall the original starting price for Model 3 but guess it was in the $70K region.

At release here in 2019, and without any options and before delivery fee, taxes and on-roads, Model 3 SR was $66k, LR was $86k and Performance was $91k.

In NSW, that translated to my Model 3 LR being $95,495 on the road, with no options. The same car new, on the road, is now nearly $18k cheaper. In fact, even though I don’t have a “new for old” policy any more on my 4 year old car, it is insured for an amount that would let me buy a new one anyway. How about that!

My first model S was for memory around $150k. at the time it was mindblowing with no big list of extras to buy - everything was included even lifetime supercharging, except ‘insane’ mode (I think it was called insane) which added more acceleration for around $70k, which I didn’t buy. I think there was a smaller battery variant that was 2WD that was around $135k. But it was a long time ago so the numbers above are possibly a bit out. Model 3 came out around 5 or so years later

Roadster was $206,000 plus on road In Australia. I think extra for the sport.
IIRC my Model S was $146,000 but I didn’t order Performance, winter or High fidelity sound packages. When I ordered in 2012, the AUD was riding high and we were hoping the Model S would be in the region of $125,000 but not to be. Saving for an extra 2 years helped though.

At release here in 2019, and without any options and before delivery fee, taxes and on-roads, Model 3 SR was $66k, LR was $86k and Performance was $91k.

In NSW, that translated to my Model 3 LR being $95,495 on the road, with no options. The same car new, on the road, is now nearly $18k cheaper. In fact, even though I don’t have a “new for old” policy any more on my 4 year old car, it is insured for an amount that would let me buy a new one anyway. How about that!

Thats amazing guys. Thank You! 🙏

Awesome, just changed it. Thanks very much!!
Just in case you weren't aware, you can also add 5 shortcut icons instead of 4 ;)
IMG_9147.jpeg

Epic door thunking

I must say that he hit on an issue that I am still experiencing, and it is really annoying and worrying. I keep saying to my wife to be ultra careful about switching between reverse and drive. So often you swipe up to drive and unless you carry the little car all the way up with your finger it will bounce back to reverse and you don't realise until you start going backwards!

I think Tesla need to fix this with an update. It shouldn't matter if you only swipe 90% of the way up, it should be smart enough to know that means you want it in drive and just do it. It would be much much better with just buttons tbh, hit the button and you are in gear. The swiping is just a gimmick and I am not sure gimmicks are the best way to change the direction of a car. I predict a few accidents in this car because of it.

I hope this is fixed in an update, I assume it is the kind of thing that will be?

I must say that he hit on an issue that I am still experiencing, and it is really annoying and worrying. I keep saying to my wife to be ultra careful about switching between reverse and drive. So often you swipe up to drive and unless you carry the little car all the way up with your finger it will bounce back to reverse and you don't realise until you start going backwards!

I think Tesla need to fix this with an update. It shouldn't matter if you only swipe 90% of the way up, it should be smart enough to know that means you want it in drive and just do it. It would be much much better with just buttons tbh, hit the button and you are in gear. The swiping is just a gimmick and I am not sure gimmicks are the best way to change the direction of a car. I predict a few accidents in this car because of it.

I hope this is fixed in an update, I assume it is the kind of thing that will be?
Yeah forsure, could easily be fixed with a UI update. Or just have touch buttons on the screen for PRND and lose the swipe thing. That would be heaps better.

Reactions: Mes1 and Murphster