Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahhh, so that's how it is. Highland drivers only acknowledge other Highlands...

Sharing that fellowship and camaraderie that only stalkless drivers appreciate.

At least now I know where I stand... :p
With the lack of stalks we might as well be doing something with our hands haha.

We do see ‘legacy’ model 3s , you might not see a wave but if you look closely you might see our nostrils as we turn up our noses haha.

Just Kidding!

Has anyone found a way to keep the rear AC turned off?
The screen turns off if it detects no one is in the seats which is awesome, but the AC stays on. I can turn it off from the front screen, but next trip it turns itself back on.

I'm pretty sure mine doesn't turn on if nobody is sitting there.
Just check it this morning if you could remember? My screen stays off but if I go into climate, rear it turns back on..
Maybe my dog seat cover is doing it, I’ll try taking it out and see if that’s causing it (could be).
The front fan is noticeably quieter with the rear AC off.

Reactions: Jules22
Ok, gathering some data so I can make a suggestion for a certain persons YouTube EV myth busting series ;)

Here’s a little experiment, if you would like to comment below with your experience I’m certain the channel will pick it up.

Myth:
Is the lack of buttons a huge issue, and can you use the centre touchscreen instead of buttons usable in daily life?

Assumptions and Constraints:
1. You have an EV with auto shift out of park.
2. You are in control of the car at all times and will not compromise on any aspect of safety.
4. I can’t count.
3. You try it out for a day with an open mind.
5. There are two levels of l33t below. Do one or both, it’s up to you (first is easy).

Outline:
Many mainstream media outlets bang on about how Teslas minimalistic design is “too far” as there are no physical switches for every function of the car, like legacy auto has been forever as they lacked the technology.
Is this true?

The Challenge(s):

1. Living without buttons.
I think we all know the answer to this one, but my question here is…
Is there any function of the car that you require unavailable or cumbersome to initiate because there is no physical button for it.
The function must exist in the car touch screen already, it’s not a wish list (ie regen levels etc).

2. Advanced Level. Can you go the next level and drive the car without even touching the touch screen?

Assuming you have auto-shift enabled (or I’ll forgive our non-highland owners for using the stalk to shift gears/indicate if this function is unavailable), can you drive a generic trip without having to touch the touchscreen at all?
Is every daily function that requires a button catered for by the steering wheel?
*tip* unbuckling your seatbelt puts the car in park.

Good luck, comment below with your results and keep an eye out on YouTube to see if we make it on here:

• Love
Reactions: Jules22
Has anyone found a way to keep the rear AC turned off?
The screen turns off if it detects no one is in the seats which is awesome, but the AC stays on. I can turn it off from the front screen, but next trip it turns itself back on.
Yep, noticed it last night, if none sitting in passenger seat, it's off on that side. Might want to buy a blow up friend who can come on drives with you.

Reactions: dronus
Just check it this morning if you could remember? My screen stays off but if I go into climate, rear it turns back on..
Maybe my dog seat cover is doing it, I’ll try taking it out and see if that’s causing it (could be).
The front fan is noticeably quieter with the rear AC off.
Yeah, definitely had nothing coming out of the rear vents with nobody sitting there. Are the belts buckled when you have the dog cover on?

Ok, gathering some data so I can make a suggestion for a certain persons YouTube EV myth busting series
Might do that as part of a 6 month review or something. The Myth Busting video seemed to cause a big drop off in subscribers, guessing most of my viewers are well aware of the facts already so not really a good target market for this sort of video.

Hey All

Cars in at service for the issues mentioned earlier. I went for a test drive with the technician this morning before drop off:

1. Flickering sound with windows down hear noises under car. This is on and off (didn't happen today) it started ever since driving over a rough gravel/rock surface last week - tesla rep said could have been rocks stuck in wheels or arches which may be gone now but will check to ensure no damage
2. Passenger door rattle on music (bass) - confirmed window switch issue - will replace/fix
3. Creaky steering wheel - will investigate, wasn't as noticeable this morning but we did replicate it on some occasions like turning going up/down incline low speeds - he confirmed the noise but will need to investigate the issue
4. Creaky Centre arm-rest - has been noisy and creaky AF, today typical NOTHING no sound. Makes me wonder as I usually have that ali express centre console tray underneath and today I took it out for testing, perhaps with that console tray the armrest is the issue? Ie. its not closing properly, perhaps a few mm off, so its causing creak. He will check with other M3 highlands there to confirm. I told them usually the sound does occur end of day after car is warm been sitting outside in sun all day maybe heat causing expansion and creaks, as I never notice it in the mornings usually.

Will report back once I get my car, on positive note love the free ubers!

Hey All

Cars in at service for the issues mentioned earlier. I went for a test drive with the technician this morning before drop off:

1. Flickering sound with windows down hear noises under car. This is on and off (didn't happen today) it started ever since driving over a rough gravel/rock surface last week - tesla rep said could have been rocks stuck in wheels or arches which may be gone now but will check to ensure no damage
2. Passenger door rattle on music (bass) - confirmed window switch issue - will replace/fix
3. Creaky steering wheel - will investigate, wasn't as noticeable this morning but we did replicate it on some occasions like turning going up/down incline low speeds - he confirmed the noise but will need to investigate the issue
4. Creaky Centre arm-rest - has been noisy and creaky AF, today typical NOTHING no sound. Makes me wonder as I usually have that ali express centre console tray underneath and today I took it out for testing, perhaps with that console tray the armrest is the issue? Ie. its not closing properly, perhaps a few mm off, so its causing creak. He will check with other M3 highlands there to confirm. I told them usually the sound does occur end of day after car is warm been sitting outside in sun all day maybe heat causing expansion and creaks, as I never notice it in the mornings usually.

My steering wheel had the creak come back, I adjusted the angle of the dangle and it went away. At first I thought it was to do the aircond blowing hot air on it making it expand but it’s still a bit of a mystery. When it’s cooler, it doesn’t do it.

My steering wheel had the creak come back, I adjusted the angle of the dangle and it went away. At first I thought it was to do the aircond blowing hot air on it making it expand but it’s still a bit of a mystery. When it’s cooler, it doesn’t do it.

yeah i notice this as well, the tesla tech mentioned it could be force related - try one hand driving see if creak, and then two hands

Ive heard some random creaks with a/c blowing but once in a blue moon so nothing to concern about

But I too notice many of my creaks occur after the day is warmed up car is warm being parked outside

Reactions: Tesl3on and dronus
Hey All

Alrighty, update time!

So all went well, arrived car was parked outside, not on charge boo albeit still had 79% remaining. But they did pump my tyres all 4 to 44psi which was nice of them.

1. Flickering sound gone, must've been debris, they checked suspension and chassis no damage or issues found.
2. Passenger door Rattle gone, fixed window switch housing, drove home with bass heavy tunes, zero Rattle!
3. Creaky steering wheel issue gone! Dismantled re torqued and put back together all good no issues or sounds.

4. Creaky centre arm rest, well couldn't resolve as it doesn't happen when car cold couldn't replicate, could be my tray underneath, or just when heats up sitting in sun all day it Creaky. As when I got thr car it was Creaky, then when I got home, car was cool creak gone... so just gonna leave it, as doesn't creak unless apply pressure to limit leaning with elbow.

Overall happy driving dead quiet sound experience. Yay

Alrighty, update time!
Great to hear you got some decent service. I've also got a creaky steering wheel. Occurs when pushing on the right side of the steering wheel. Not bad enough to be concerning in function but just enough to be annoying (to me). Only started happening in the past month or so and not in the first 2 months that I owned the car.

Can I ask which Tesla service centre you went to?

Reactions: Mes1 and Tesl3on
This creaky steering wheel issue is super frustrating for us all..

Just to throw my experience into the mix as we are intel gathering, mine creaks whether it’s cold or warm, whether the car has been in my garage or left outside for 8 hours, one handed or two handed driving (creaks when applying pressure against the wheel, or with a normal grip at 9 and 3, or without any pressure at all).

I haven’t tried adjusting the wheel position yet, so will see if doing that yields any results.

She’s a super creak, super creak.
She’s super creaky, yow.

IMG_7260.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: divstar and Mes1
This creaky steering wheel issue is super frustrating for us all..

Just to throw my experience into the mix as we are intel gathering, mine creaks whether it’s cold or warm, whether the car has been in my garage or left outside for 8 hours, one handed or two handed driving (creaks when applying pressure against the wheel, or with a normal grip at 9 and 3, or without any pressure at all).

I haven’t tried adjusting the wheel position yet, so will see if doing that yields any results.

She’s a super creak, super creak.
She’s super creaky, yow.

View attachment 1051608
Does it do it when the car in in Park?

I’m guessing the creaking is the ghosts of the stalks haunting us.