Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah i am having an interesting dialogue with the council about people parking opposite my driveway on a narrow road still and they have quoted an Australian Road rule as their basis for not painting yellow lines opposite such driveways (i want a yellow line so i can get out of my driveway, so do my elderly neighbors) The Councils says as long as they are not parked over the driveway, its no issue.

They quoted ARR 198(2) which indeed does say "Stop on or across a driveway" which has an $192 expiation fee.

Bit weird, as i stop on my driveway every day... but anyway..

But In ARR just above this it does mention 198(1) which says "Obstruct access to and from a footpath/driveway etc" which has a $190 expiation so is $2 less important i guess.

Is parking opposite a driveway obstructing access to the driveway, especially on narrow streets? If it isn't, it's probably just inconsiderate, which isn't an offence unfortunately..

Rule 208(1) says "Park obstructing path of other vehicles or pedestrians" which is only a $178 expiation so not as bad I guess.

The Traffic Engineer went on to educate me that if someone parks opposite my driveway, i can do a multipoint turn to get out of my driveway, which i really appreciated getting educated about, 30+ years of driving and id never have thought of that.. but while we are quoting ARR's...

To make the multipoint turn to get out of your driveway when there is someone parked opposite it you would probably need to drive on the footpath to get around, Unfortunately rule 288(1) says that's a no-no "Drive on a Path" carries a whopping $386 fine, which is more of a fine than the person blocking the driveway would get. Interesting huh?

So in Summary, worse case costs to various people..

Person obstructing the driveway by parking opposite it: $0
Home Owner/Resident who has to drive on footpath to avoid hitting the above persons car: $386
Person in the back of the car who needs to get to a hospital in a hurry: $ add_your_own_value_here
Person Driving a Firetruck or Ambulance who also has to take councils advice to "take a few moves" to get around or up driveways: $unknown
Council $0

They are weird rules, have to be careful in how they are interpreted, but also be mindful when avoiding spending a couple of dollars painting a yellow line.
Ok my head is about to explode. I complained about a tree in front of my house which is sick amd spewing sap on one of my kids cars, which ate into the paint. The council agreed it was sick and will be replaced. That was 10 years ago. Tree is still sick, and visitors park in front of neighbours house. Kids have all moved out now. I am hoping it will get replaced before I pass away.

I cant see in the actual Section relevant to it being an offence to not have the Blue triangle, just lots of reminders that you should have them. Im assuming its an ADR thing and not a local offence.
The requirement is in the Road Traffic (Light Vehicle Standards) Rules 2018 which are indeed where the ADRs are incorporated into South Australian law. Those rules are made under the Road Traffic Act 1961, which in sections 117 and 118 makes it an offence to be the driver or operator of a light vehicle that breaches the light vehicle standards, with a maximum penalty of $2,500 in each case.

Reactions: dronus
The requirement is in the Road Traffic (Light Vehicle Standards) Rules 2018 which are indeed where the ADRs are incorporated into South Australian law. Those rules are made under the Road Traffic Act 1961, which in sections 117 and 118 makes it an offence to be the driver or operator of a light vehicle that breaches the light vehicle standards, with a maximum penalty of $2,500 in each case.
Cool thanks, yes indeed Section 144B applies there (page 78) :)

Has anyone had their M3H in for service repairs for the squeaks in the steering column and the rattle in the left dash/door/mirror area lately and had it fixed?

I noticed mine again yesterday (fixed by turning the music up) but was wondering if there was a permament fix yet. Tesla seem quite good at internally documenting fixes so hopefully if there is a better fix i can book mine back in to get it looked at again before i go on a longer trip and it drives me crazy(er).

Has anyone had their M3H in for service repairs for the squeaks in the steering column and the rattle in the left dash/door/mirror area lately and had it fixed?

I noticed mine again yesterday (fixed by turning the music up) but was wondering if there was a permament fix yet. Tesla seem quite good at internally documenting fixes so hopefully if there is a better fix i can book mine back in to get it looked at again before i go on a longer trip and it drives me crazy(er).

For me they fixed the steering wheel issue by removing the wheel and "retorqing" it

and te passenger door rattle was the window switch which was loose which they replaced or fixed

Both are good now, no noises from either of these, only thing left is my damn creaky centre armrest when I lean on it on some days haha but im happy to live with that as its not there when driving, only when leaning on it

For me they fixed the steering wheel issue by removing the wheel and "retorqing" it

and te passenger door rattle was the window switch which was loose which they replaced or fixed

Both are good now, no noises from either of these, only thing left is my damn creaky centre armrest when I lean on it on some days haha but im happy to live with that as its not there when driving, only when leaning on it
ok thanks, ill book mine back in to get looked at again :)

The door thing could be the switch. I doubt its the morror as i cant hear anything outside with the double glass and the noise seems very local

Reactions: Mes1

The door thing could be the switch. I doubt its the morror as i cant hear anything outside with the double glass and the noise seems very local
Good luck!

before you go, play some bass heavy music and whilst its playing hold down the window switch (underneath where you open/close window) with some pressure, the rattle should stop if this is your issue as doing this stopped it for me and I was able to reproduce this as source on inspection day

Good luck!

before you go, play some bass heavy music and whilst its playing hold down the window switch (underneath where you open/close window) with some pressure, the rattle should stop if this is your issue as doing this stopped it for me and I was able to reproduce this as source on inspection day
I did a little test this morning when i had a passenger and asked them to put thier arm on the arm rest thing, specifically on the switch and, going over the same road i hear the rattle it wasnt there.. your theory sounds good!

Reactions: Mes1

Further to what mes1 said, this thread (and associated video) helped me identify my rattle was coming from the mirror. Essentially using a tone generator app to generate a bass heavy tone that causes vibrations in the car and certain frequencies will trigger the rattles.

Reactions: PcS000 and Mes1
Is the frunk the same size in the highland as previous? I bought a genuine carpet insert for the frunk in my 2021 M3LR and am trading that in when I pick up my new M3P. I figure if it’s the same size I may as well keep it for the new one. Actually for that matter I also bought a liner for the under floor boot storage area as well. I assume that one is the same size too?

Edit: I just realised I should probably look on the Tesla online store and see if they were different listings and it appears they are. So I guess I will revise my question to how different are they? Has anyone tried using an old carpet or all weather insert in a highland and do at least kind of/mostly fit?

Last edited:
Is the frunk the same size in the highland as previous? I bought a genuine carpet insert for the frunk in my 2021 M3LR and am trading that in when I pick up my new M3P. I figure if it’s the same size I may as well keep it for the new one. Actually for that matter I also bought a liner for the under floor boot storage area as well. I assume that one is the same size too?

Edit: I just realised I should probably look on the Tesla online store and see if they were different listings and it appears they are. So I guess I will revise my question to how different are they? Has anyone tried using an old carpet or all weather insert in a highland and do at least kind of/mostly fit?
They will fit, but they wont fit snuggly.
Try it out when you pick up your new car, if you are not happy with it just order the new ones, delivery from x-car etc is only a couple of days.

I really dig this vision based parking assist.
It is heaps accurate in telling me not only how far i am away from the fence behind me, but also the small raised concrete gutter that i try to park as close as i can too so the car that will pull in next to me has more room to open their door.

IMG_0986.jpeg

Last edited:
I really dig this vision based parking assist.
It is heaps accurate in telling me not only how far i am away from the fence behind me, but also the small raised concrete gutter that i try to park as close as i can too so the car that will pull in next to me has more room to open their door.

View attachment 1058258

It's pretty cool. Saved me the other day. I was pulling into a car space with a concrete wheel stop in it. Car told me to stop well short of the wall. (I would usually roll up until the wheels hit the wheel stop.) When I got out of the car, I saw what I hadn't noticed as I turned into the car space: the wheel stops must have been at least 200mm high. I would have smashed the lower front of the car.

[AS2890.1.2004 states that wheel stops should be 90-100mm in height.]

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
It's pretty cool. Saved me the other day. I was pulling into a car space with a concrete wheel stop in it. Car told me to stop well short of the wall. (I would usually roll up until the wheels hit the wheel stop.) When I got out of the car, I saw what I hadn't noticed as I turned into the car space: the wheel stops must have been at least 200mm high. I would have smashed the lower front of the car.

[AS2890.1.2004 states that wheel stops should be 90-100mm in height.]
Im pretty sure that the ultrasonic detectors wouldnt see those concrete barriers. The one on my pic is just lower than the door opening, it still has tyre marks on it from where my Calais used to rub against it.

At the shops the Vision assist is heaps good when parking next to a gutter, no more wheel rash!

Reactions: Jules22
Im pretty sure that the ultrasonic detectors wouldnt see those concrete barriers. The one on my pic is just lower than the door opening, it still has tyre marks on it from where my Calais used to rub against it.

At the shops the Vision assist is heaps good when parking next to a gutter, no more wheel rash!
Yeah, I've had a couple really tight twisting driveways with raised edges, the TV system is perfect for those.

Curious if this is a software error (omission from software GUI changes between LHD to RHD) or genuinely misplaced airbags 🥴 parcel-shelf-gate 2.0 anyone?

My build is Jan 2024 if anyone else wants to dive into the service menu and confirm on a newer batch model where their drivers airbag is.. hopefully not in the boot..

View attachment 1058991
View attachment 1058990
Might have to put a second steering wheel on that side... haha.

lol @parcel-shelf-gate. People got so upset over that at the time :)