Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope :( still on 2023.44.30.8
Is that where yours is too? I dont have it set to advanced, just normal or whatever its called.

Cabin overheat protection is going off today out there, might move it into the shade!
Yeah, I'll be stuck on this branch for a while I think due to FSD. I have mine on advanced.

Yeah, mine is in the sun all day during the week, I set the overheat protection to fan only so it isn't wasting battery (not that the A/C uses that much). I just start it air conditioning as I walk to the parking lot, it's down from ~40-45 to 22 by the time I get there.

Reactions: dronus
Yeah, I'll be stuck on this branch for a while I think due to FSD. I have mine on advanced.

Yeah, mine is in the sun all day during the week, I set the overheat protection to fan only so it isn't wasting battery (not that the A/C uses that much). I just start it air conditioning as I walk to the parking lot, it's down from ~40-45 to 22 by the time I get there.
Im at home so i just plugged it in (with scheduled charging set to later tonight).

Having said that, i have been trying to contact AGL and ask them when the Peak/Shoulder/Off peak times are here in Adelaide but they keep avoiding telling me.
My shoulder time is cheaper than my off peak, so im better off charging then, but i dont know when that is!

Im at home so i just plugged it in (with scheduled charging set to later tonight).

Having said that, i have been trying to contact AGL and ask them when the Peak/Shoulder/Off peak times are here in Adelaide but they keep avoiding telling me.
My shoulder time is cheaper than my off peak, so im better off charging then, but i dont know when that is!
Disregard - if anyone is in Adelaide and interested here is the AGL TOU times... Ive changed my scheduled charging to reflect this..

Peak 6am -> 10am 48c/kwh
Shoulder 10am -> 3pm 28c/kwh
Peak 3pm -> 1am 48c/kwh
Off Peak 1am -> 6am 32c/kwh

I was originally told off peak was 11pm so thats when i had been running dishwashers/ charging car etc but if im home probs best to crank that up during the day or after 1am. hmmmmmmmm

HOLY SH!T those are crazy high, how is 32c/Kw "off peak"!!!
My last retail plan had 10c/kw off peak which is all I ever used as I'd just charge up the powerwalls using that if there hadn't been enough sun during the day (which was pretty rare) and I wasn't happy with paying that much!

This is my current bill for the last 30 days on the new provider-
1706924326866.png

Last edited:
HOLY SH!T those are crazy high, how is 32c/Kw "off peak"!!!
welcome to Adelaide. Reading @Vostok thread on renewable power generation SA is right up there, yet we pay some pretty high power charges!
I put my address into the fed govt price comparison thing and the only providor that was cheaper (by $70 per year) has 2 hours free a day, but the rest of the rates were higher than im paying now so ultimately not worth it..

Reactions: paulp and Jules22
Disregard - if anyone is in Adelaide and interested here is the AGL TOU times... Ive changed my scheduled charging to reflect this..

Peak 6am -> 10am 48c/kwh
Shoulder 10am -> 3pm 28c/kwh
Peak 3pm -> 1am 48c/kwh
Off Peak 1am -> 6am 32c/kwh

I was originally told off peak was 11pm so thats when i had been running dishwashers/ charging car etc but if im home probs best to crank that up during the day or after 1am. hmmmmmmmm
This is crazy! I just checked my electricity bill (ACT). I don't have a fancy smart metre but my anytime usage is 19.36c/kWh with a 77c daily usage charge... I thought SA had a huge battery to help keep their prices from fluctuating so much?

This is crazy! I just checked my electricity bill (ACT). I don't have a fancy smart metre but my anytime usage is 19.36c/kWh with a 77c daily usage charge... I thought SA had a huge battery to help keep their prices from fluctuating so much?
Yep......

Shouldnt have sold it all a few governments ago i suppose.... Someone is making a lot of money and people are sitting in their homes with the AC off because they cant afford to run it.. But... thats another story...

Yep......

Shouldnt have sold it all a few governments ago i suppose.... Someone is making a lot of money and people are sitting in their homes with the AC off because they cant afford to run it.. But... thats another story...
You poor buggers, solar + battery would make even more financial sense in SA then... onto the next Tesla product for you :)

Reactions: sishome and paulp
My last retail plan had 10c/kw off peak which is all I ever used as I'd just charge up the powerwalls using that if there hadn't been enough sun during the day (which was pretty rare) and I wasn't happy with paying that much!

This is my current bill for the last 30 days on the new provider-
View attachment 1014865
Crazy huh. Our FIT are low and capped as there is now too many people with solar trying to escape the high fees which causes an issue for SA Power as there is too much power being generated. I was just reading how they do sneaky things like raise the line voltage to shut down peoples solar feed in.. so they get 0... but everyone else has to buy it at the higher rate.

Reactions: AusMar
welcome to Adelaide. Reading @Vostok thread on renewable power generation SA is right up there, yet we pay some pretty high power charges!

A lot of people conveniently forget that South Australia has always had Australia’s highest power prices, even before the first wind and solar farms were built. A lot of it is due to SA’s reliance on gas for power generation, and in the past, coal that had to be imported from other states.

Even with SA’s incredible renewable performance (now consistently hitting 70-80% on average over long periods of time) that still means 20-30% generated by gas, which is about the second most expensive way to generate electricity other than nuclear.

There also may be other contributory market issues that I’m not aware of. But renewables are not to blame.

One very interesting factoid that I have dug up is that over the past 10 years, as SA’s renewable generation has skyrocketed, SA has on average actually become less and less reliant on power imports from VIC, and increasingly exporting more!

”How good is that” 🤣

A lot of people conveniently forget that South Australia has always had Australia’s highest power prices, even before the first wind and solar farms were built. A lot of it is due to SA’s reliance on gas for power generation, and in the past, coal that had to be imported from other states.

Even with SA’s incredible renewable performance (now consistently hitting 70-80% on average over long periods of time) that still means 20-30% generated by gas, which is about the second most expensive way to generate electricity other than nuclear.

There also may be other contributory market issues that I’m not aware of. But renewables are not to blame.

One very interesting factoid that I have dug up is that over the past 10 years, as SA’s renewable generation has skyrocketed, SA has on average actually become less and less reliant on power imports from VIC, and increasingly exporting more!

”How good is that” 🤣
Yeah we had a few issues with interconnects failing which highlighted our dependance on VIC and we had big blackouts. Now that we generate our own power they charge more, and charge the VICS for exports.

I worked at ETSA during the SAPN transition when the Govt sold a large portion of the business. Have a few stories better told offline...

Of course everything was promised to "lower SA energy prices for South Australians"

But did they? nope - why - did the record profits keep increasing every year? Yep..

Last edited:
Our FIT are low and capped as there is now too many people with solar trying to escape the high fees which causes an issue for SA Power as there is too much power being generated. I was just reading how they do sneaky things like raise the line voltage to shut down peoples solar feed in.. so they get 0... but everyone else has to buy it at the higher rate.

It’s not “sneaky”… line voltage will rise by itself if there is too much rooftop solar export. Old style inverters will shut down once line voltages rise too high. But that then denies solar generation to the household, who then draw from the grid instead, so you can understand why people might get cheesed off if that happens.

Newer “smart” inverters will stop export to the grid if line voltages rise too high, but continue to allow the household to consume the solar (if there is enough). Not unreasonably, grid operators want to be able to control these smart inverters to manage grid stability. I am OK with that, as long as whatever solar is generated remains available to each household.

I‘ve effectively seen that happen once at my place when Ausgrid were doing line work in the street and removed the service fuses from every single house and shut off each main switch. I had to go out and tell the liney to turn my main switch back on because I had solar and a battery. He was initially reluctant, but then I pointed to the open slots where the service fuses had been physically removed and said “I don’t think electricity can jump that gap”.

He turned the main switch back on, and during the day it was fascinating watching solar generation as reported by the Tesla App track exactly the household consumption, because it could not export excess anywhere once the battery was full.

Reactions: paulp
The issue in SA is not so much about generation, its the poles and wires, and more specifically the company that manages them. SA also gifted the battery to the french operator, so no financial gain there.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Crazy huh. Our FIT are low and capped as there is now too many people with solar trying to escape the high fees which causes an issue for SA Power as there is too much power being generated. I was just reading how they do sneaky things like raise the line voltage to shut down peoples solar feed in.. so they get 0... but everyone else has to buy it at the higher rate.
It isnt so much that too much power is being generated, rather sapn are missing out on income as solar owners are not buying power, so everyone else has to pay more to make up for it

Reactions: dronus

”How good is that” 🤣
60% of the average SA power bill is ‘poles and wires’, 25% is generation, and 15% is retailer. Hence even halving generation costs on,y has a small impact on a bill. The percentages are approximate and fluctuate.

Reactions: cafz and dronus
It isnt so much that too much power is being generated, rather sapn are missing out on income as solar owners are not buying power, so everyone else has to pay more to make up for it
Its a chicken and egg type deal.. more you put prices up, more people think they cant afford it so they go solar or use less, so to keep shareholders happy they put prices up. Can only get so much blood out of a stone. GST is payable so there is no real incentive from SAGOV to moderate it.

If they were not making record profits the average punter would have more empathy for them.

Its all about the $$$. Now that i have this EV im going to invest in solar and batteries, if anyone has a good lead for a company to deal with feel free to send me a DM :) Why pay for something i can generate myself?

Reactions: paulp