Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh! Bad assumption on my part. What trash. The cruise on my 5 y.o. Kia Stinger has never once done the wrong thing.

What a shame we can just have plain cruise control from 20 years ago that does not turn the auto wipers on (these are also trash and love smearing city grime all over the window).
Tesla damaged my perception of TACC. It has taken me 6 months to start to trust the so far faultless TACC on my EQE. No phantom braking, no wiper activations other than when it actually rains, brilliant auto digital lights. I still enjoy our tesla, just not it’s unusable tech.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Tesla damaged my perception of TACC. It has taken me 6 months to start to trust the so far faultless TACC on my EQE. No phantom braking, no wiper activations other than when it actually rains, brilliant auto digital lights. I still enjoy our tesla, just not it’s unusable tech.

I saw an EQE the other day, it looked pretty awesome!

I guess they have to be careful that we dont follow the path of BYD where you have to turn a bunch of stuff on or off on startup and any change of automation status.

Then again, the technology is amazing, far far more complex than i could ever imagine understanding. I appreciate that the world is full of random stuff and creating a consumer product that takes into account of every perceivable combination is nigh on impossible. They are doing really well.

<gets into legs crossed sitting position>
As technology affords "convenience" it seems like people get used it it {lazy} and expect stuff to do things perfectly for them all the time...

Do you remember hooking up with a hot date and setting a time to go to the movies in the old Regent Arcade in town? Youd say on friday at school - lets meet at the malls balls at 1pm on sunday... now the combination of things that had to happen for that to occur were mindblowing. You both had sport on Saturday which could afford injury, catching public transport there (The old red hens!) was kinda unreliable so you might be late etc. Their dad could have found out and grounded them..

In the end it worked out ... you waited and eventually the other person turned up. Or they didnt... hahaha.. These days everyone expects everything instantly.
I get it, its technological progress, but if we depend on it too quickly, we not only lose the skill it is replacing, but also the ability to learn that skill.
I probably listen to too much Andrew Huberman haha.

I saw an EQE the other day, it looked pretty awesome!

I guess they have to be careful that we dont follow the path of BYD where you have to turn a bunch of stuff on or off on startup and any change of automation status.

Then again, the technology is amazing, far far more complex than i could ever imagine understanding. I appreciate that the world is full of random stuff and creating a consumer product that takes into account of every perceivable combination is nigh on impossible. They are doing really well.

As technology affords "convenience" it seems like people get used it it {lazy} and expect stuff to do things perfectly for them all the time...

Do you remember hooking up with a hot date and setting a time to go to the movies in the old Regent Arcade in town? Youd say on friday at school - lets meet at the malls balls at 1pm on sunday... now the combination of things that had to happen for that to occur were mindblowing. You both had sport on Saturday which could afford injury, catching public transport there (The old red hens!) was kinda unreliable so you might be late etc. Their dad could have found out and grounded them..

In the end it worked out ... you waited and eventually the other person turned up. Or they didnt... hahaha.. These days everyone expects everything instantly.
I get it, its technological progress, but if we depend on it too quickly, we not only lose the skill it is replacing, but also the ability to learn that skill.
I probably listen to too much Andrew Huberman haha.
I’ve been dating that hot tesla chick for 9 years. She still hasn’t shown up with a decent cruise control that all the other hot chicks have.

• Funny
Reactions: AusMar and dronus
Had these errors come up this arvo, then they went away. It didnt know i was on a road i think. I was in christies beach so it was probably just getting ready to run away… haha

IMG_8778.jpeg
IMG_8779.jpeg
IMG_8780.jpeg

I was driving around everywhere today, like pretty much all day doing something. only used 20%. In my other car if i drove that much it would use more than 20% of the fuel and cost a lot more to fill back up.

Plus... this car is so nice to drive...
I never managed to take M3 for a proper home-work-home test. Would be very interesting to see how this up-down-up-down works with it.

Reactions: dronus
I never managed to take M3 for a proper home-work-home test. Would be very interesting to see how this up-down-up-down works with it.
Well hopefully they are running a bit ahead of time and you get it soon.

When i drove my brother home on Wednesday we went thru the hills from near McLaren Vale thru Cherry gardens over to stirling and Uraidla. The M3 was effortless. I mean i used to have a Nissan Patrol that you would have to line up for every hill and hold on around every corner.. The calais was better but it did take a second or so for the turbo to spool up and i didnt realise how much better suspension can be until driving the M3.
It just ate up the hills and the trip seemed a lot shorter.
Going back down i should have gone greenhill road as the tunnels were being worked on and there was a massive delay, but yeah it wasnt an ordeal at all.

i havent been back up the south-east freeway yet, but ive done the southern expressway a few times now and its crazy how it just boosts along.

Well hopefully they are running a bit ahead of time and you get it soon.

When i drove my brother home on Wednesday we went thru the hills from near McLaren Vale thru Cherry gardens over to stirling and Uraidla. The M3 was effortless. I mean i used to have a Nissan Patrol that you would have to line up for every hill and hold on around every corner.. The calais was better but it did take a second or so for the turbo to spool up and i didnt realise how much better suspension can be until driving the M3.
It just ate up the hills and the trip seemed a lot shorter.
Going back down i should have gone greenhill road as the tunnels were being worked on and there was a massive delay, but yeah it wasnt an ordeal at all.

i havent been back up the south-east freeway yet, but ive done the southern expressway a few times now and its crazy how it just boosts along.
The good thing about the south east freeway is you use a lot of energy going up, but you also generate a lot of energy coming down. I can get from crafers to the airport with zero nett energy use.

Reactions: dronus
Car is a blast to drive. Haven't really experienced poor wiper activation or anything yet, only time it was raining since delivery the wipers worked as expected.
Taking to get it wrapped in STEK DynoMatte PPF and ceramic coated near Botany next weekend. I think matting out the Stealth Grey paint would look awesome. Anyone have experience with Shield Street in Sydney?

Uses 7% battery or so to drive to the city and back, was awesome.

The good thing about the south east freeway is you use a lot of energy going up, but you also generate a lot of energy coming down. I can get from crafers to the airport with zero nett energy use.
Ha thats pretty cool. If only it was downhill on the way back up the hill.. maybe drive in reverse like in Ferris Buellers day off... :)

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: jeevas123 and paulp
So been doing a little playing with EAP on the Highland and been fantastic so far. Doing a longer road trip tomorrow so will get to play with it a little more.

One thing I found, when I was driving the 2020 M3 it used to annoy the crap out of me that you had to tug the wheel to do an automatic lane change, particularly the combination of stalk and wheel tug, quite often it would knock you out of AP and was just annoying as hell.

I've been able to initiate the EAP lane change now just using the indicator button, which is fantastic, the only difference I thought of last night is on the 2020 I had it set that I had to confirm an EAP/FSD initiated lane change, where I currently have that turned off so that it only changes if I initiate by pushing the indicator button.

I'll test that out tomorrow, but a little silly that having the confirmation active on auto lane changes affects one you initiate, if that is what it is. If it's just that they've removed the requirement for the wheel tug, then that is awesome.

Getting off-topic but I hear you. Trying to predict hugely complex systems is not easy.

Some people now get ropeable and want to sue someone when weather forecasters can’t predict with 100% accuracy the path of a cyclone, or its intensity. Or any other extreme weather event. If a cyclone crosses at a different point, or is downgraded from Category 4 to Category 1 over a few hours and people have spent all day evacuating or doing prep then it was all a “waste of time” and “why can’t they get it right”. And then the opposite - it turns out to be far worse than feared, and then it‘s “why weren’t we warned!!!” 🤦‍♂️

Technological progress has been great, but it has led to an expectation that predictions are faultless, or should be faultless, and if they’re not, then incompetence is to blame. We should be amazed that things like weather forecasting is as accurate as it is. I mean, we are trying to predict the future, people. Sheesh.

A lot of people really seem to struggle these days with ambiguity and uncertainty, and yet it is part and parcel of life 🤷‍♂️

A lot of people really seem to struggle these days with ambiguity and uncertainty, and yet it is part and parcel of life
100% people struggle to see the bigger picture and want everything to be perfect now, along with a large amount of recency bias magnifying the slightest issue and ignoring how much worse the previous thing was.

Everyone is also smarter than the guy/company who have the runs on the board, and know exactly what 'they should have done' ingoring the fact they have zero clue what was tried, tested and discarded nor a grasp on the big picture reasons behind going down a particular path.

Reactions: MacTessy and Vostok
Couple of cool things i noticed this morning.

I had some guns n roses cranked up on my way to the gym. When i got there snd opened the door, the music volume automatically lowered.

Is there a way to turn the music off when opening the door? Maybe bum on seat or door closed only? Im just thinking sbout early morning annoying neighbours even at the lowered volume.

Crikey its a nice car to drive.

Reactions: Jules22
Not that I'm aware of, it still feels weird closing the door and walking away with the music playing, lol. Some ICE habits die hard, lol.
Yeah my ice car would continue the audio after turning off the engine (apparently that is an aussie thing.. my german built calais didnt do it when i bought it but they fixed it with a firmware update. It also had an EU DAB sharkfin which had to be changed.. parcel shelf was ok) but when you opened the door it turned off.

Its not a biggie, just thought id ask incase you guys knew of a toggle somewhere.