Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this should be the standard or at minimum, an option on public charging infrastructure
Buy why?

An IP-rated credit card terminal is $1000+ plus and generally requires an additional mobile/wired connection, and has higher CC fees as remote site (higher fraud risk) - someone has to pay for all that (and probably why Evie is charging 5c/kWh more in its trial).

Signing up to a well designed app (ie. One that lets me prefill from saved Apple/Google data) takes less than 30sec.

I'd far prefer these CPOs (charge point operators) rollout Plug n Go functionality (like Tesla - the authorisation is via the card) - no RFID, no firing up an app needed at all.

Great insight and write-up! Thanks. I believe the Mackay Tesla site has been chosen as Ooralea, near the Woolies/Maccas if you know the area. Apparently online sometime this year.

You can thank the Labor state government for the public charging infrastructure initiatives in QLD Queensland's Electric Super Highway & Queensland Electric Super Highway
100% agree. Commendable and brave initiative by Labor both at state and Federal levels to finally bring some generational change which could have done atleast a decade back.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Buy why?

An IP-rated credit card terminal is $1000+ plus and generally requires an additional mobile/wired connection, and has higher CC fees as remote site (higher fraud risk) - someone has to pay for all that (and probably why Evie is charging 5c/kWh more in its trial).

Signing up to a well designed app (ie. One that lets me prefill from saved Apple/Google data) takes less than 30sec.

I'd far prefer these CPOs (charge point operators) rollout Plug n Go functionality (like Tesla - the authorisation is via the card) - no RFID, no firing up an app needed at all.
Payment options should be there. prepaid cards, option to pay onsite via cash etc are nice to have. I understood your point to just have a QR based payment where we can add options in future. But then that needs connectivity at charger as well as from customer mobile. So yeah....

But then none of those is that important right now.

The only thing to focus is coverage, coverage, coverage and more coverage.
Immediate Goals:
1. Max distance between fast chargers should be 100km across nation
2. Max distance between AC/Pole chargers should be 10km.

These are easily achievable as essentially these can be installed anywhere there is electricity after a load/capacity analysis.

Even outbacks where previously there was no feasibility of Gas stations can have Solar/Wind + backup battery based solutions achieving connectivity like never before.

Last edited:
Buy why?

I feel the sweet spot would be having the option of both a smartphone app and tap & go support. Options for consumers aren't a bad thing, the same way consumers can use a tap & go card, or use their phone on most public transport now. In the same way, you can pay via credit card, bpay, POLi, PayPal, Afterpay etc. when purchasing a range of things online.

While I'm all for apps and ease-of-use design methods, having individual apps (Tesla, Chargefox, Evie, Exploren, Ampol, BP etc.) for all the public charging infrastructure out there is messy and in my mind, not entirely consumer-focused. I have an entire folder on my iPhone dedicated to these apps now 😅

A credit card terminal could be built into the charger's design, effectively having just the external 'tap & go' logo showing where to tap the card, the rest being all internal and protected from the elements. I have seen these done effectively before on parking metres that stand in the sun/rain all day. These can also leverage whatever bearer is available at the site supporting the app connectivity, not necessarily an additional connection. CC fees are set by a merchant, not usually site-specific and what's stopping someone from committing the same fraud in an app vs tap & go?

I agree, by far the best consumer experience is what Tesla has done with just plugging in and away you go (for Tesla owners).

Just my opinion, nothing more :)

Last edited:
and brave initiative by Labor both at state and Federal levels to finally bring some generational change which could have done atleast a decade back.
Don't think it's Labor v Lib. Both parties have done smart and dumb things on the introduction on EVs

Former federal Libs refused to implement fuel standard changes, current Labor might, though a lot of pushback.
Former federal Libs funded the Arena Ultra-Fast charging networks which delivered the initial Chargefox and Evie networks.
Former NSW Libs committed more funding to EV charging absolute or per capita than any govt (helped that the relevant minister drove a Tesla)
Current Vic Labor tried unsuccessfully to introduce the EV tax

That is a universal problem right now. Norway is one of the first to recognize that problem and trying to establish a standard to solve this and put an end to the the charger app mayhem. I wouldn't say billing to just tesla as a solution. May be an option to link to any biller of your choice. May be your Grid provider oar tesla or your mobile provide can all be your EV charge biller.

And also ability to charge without any subscription or app - pay as you go using credit/debit/prepaid card is also one good option. Even people without any bank account/smart phone should be able to buy prepaid cards and top it up from convenience stores and be ready drive anywhere. Rental companies can provide their own cards which will then gets billed to the customer while returning the car.

I understand merc and the euro brands are working on a system where your payment details are stored in the car, and payment transferred to the charging company when complete. Clearly a lot of companies have to co-operate for this to work, but the idea seems decent.

A decade ago, the very first tesla’s trickled into australia. Not sure that those owners expected an instant countrywide infrastructure build
Decade ago is 2014 there were many model S tricling by then and that was when I started closely following this even though I made a promise to myself then itself that any new purchase that I make anywhere in the world will be electric and then I can't forget the puppetry and mockery of the system that many stupid idiot corrupt corporate sucking liberal politicians have done over that period and so I believe It's only because of them we lagged and lacked till now.

First step in building progress is to build confidence in the minds of masses and that is something the Liberals have done inversely and quite abundantly over the past decade and that is one reason people are still reluctant. If strong messaging have come from the top then EV sales would have quadrupled by now. Bringing coal to parliament after kissing someone's ass and letting the media cover it won't help it, Don't you think?

Last edited:
When you see these.. will they work with our cars? The pins look weird

That’s the Tesla Proprietary Connector used in the USA. I raised this with Plugshare about 3 years ago to no avail. I told them for this market they should use the CCS2 icon for “Tesla (Fast)” (Superchargers) and Type 2 icon for “Tesla” (AC destination chargers). Because the current icons are wrong and confusing, especially for those new to EVs.

They said they would consider my suggestions and of course nothing happened.

Last edited:
Don't think it's Labor v Lib. Both parties have done smart and dumb things on the introduction on EVs

Former federal Libs refused to implement fuel standard changes, current Labor might, though a lot of pushback.
Former federal Libs funded the Arena Ultra-Fast charging networks which delivered the initial Chargefox and Evie networks.
Former NSW Libs committed more funding to EV charging absolute or per capita than any govt (helped that the relevant minister drove a Tesla)
Current Vic Labor tried unsuccessfully to introduce the EV tax
First step in building progress is to build confidence in the minds of masses and that is something the Liberal have done inversely and quite abundantly over the past decade and that is one reason people are still reluctant. If strong messaging have come from the top then EV sales would have quadrupled by now. Bringing coal to parliament after kissing someone's ass and letting the media cover it won't help it, Don't you think?

That’s the Tesla Proprietary Connector used in the USA. I raised this with Plugshare about 3 years ago to no avail. I told them for this market they should use the CCS2 icon for “Tesla (Fast)” (Superchargers) and Type icon for “Tesla” (AC destination chargers). Because the current icons are wrong and confusing, especially for those new to EVs.

They said they would consider my suggestions and of course nothing happened.
Thank You for trying 🙏

Decade ago is 2014 there were many model S tricling by then and that was when I started closely following this even though I made a promise to myself then itself that any new purchase that I make anywhere in the world will be electric and then I can't forget the puppetry and mockery of the system that many stupid idiot corrupt corporate sucking liberal politicians have done over that period and so I believe It's only because of them we lagged and lacked till now.

First step in building progress is to build confidence in the minds of masses and that is something the Liberals have done inversely and quite abundantly over the past decade and that is one reason people are still reluctant. If strong messaging have come from the top then EV sales would have quadrupled by now. Bringing coal to parliament after kissing someone's ass and letting the media cover it won't help it, Don't you think?
Have i logged into politicsmotorsclub?

Highland just won EV car of the year under 100k

“Best Urban Electric Vehicle Under 100k”… while it’s great to see Tesla’s vehicles deservedly winning gongs, these categories are getting a bit silly, aren’t they? What’s an “urban electric vehicle” and doesn’t that just reinforce the right-wing media narrative that EVs are only for the city?

Sometimes these car award categories seem to be contrived just to ensure all the favourite cars of the reviewers get a win. A bit like pass-the-parcel, no child leaves disappointed 🙄

Reactions: Jules22 and paulp

I think I bought my first tesla in 2014…maybe it was 2013. Our moderstor would know as he was one of the first. Either way it came on a cargo ship and in a container. It was the 2nd one in Adelaide. I had zero expectation of a national grid for my personal convenience. In fact we used to have a thread on here spotting registration plates, such was the rarity. There are a lot of ev’s now. A decent amount of infrastructure is a reasonable expectation.

Bringing coal to parliament after kissing someone's ass and letting the media cover it won't help it, Don't you think?
That's why I said it wasn't black or white.

Vic Govt introducing the EV tax far worse than a lump of coal imho.
Reality is coal will unfortunately continue be a major part of our exports and some states power grids for decades to come.

Reactions: Jules22

Reality is coal will unfortunately continue be a major part of our exports and some states power grids for decades to come.
Not just that and not many others or not the making-a-fool-of-all-of-us paris agreement debacle or many many others that our selective amnesia has conveniently forgot by now, It is still continuing the narrative by the shadows even today that is hurting the transition...

Any way this discussion is not meant to be politically charged in anyway but to serve as the reminder of the truth and stop us from any of white washing the enormous harm the Liberal politicians have done over the past decade.

I am stopping and no this not a politicsevclub and as I explained even if it is not an easy black-or-white situation, some grays are more black than others. People more interested in this topic can do a google or duckduckgo or bing search or any other politically aligned search over the past news articles and closely follow the current oppositions statements on any topic related to this.

Having said that I totally agree with you about the totally dumb headed idea of EV tax that these Vic Labor idiots come up with. What a dumb idea and what a dumber reason. EV's are heavier than petrol so uses road more. Heavier than the dumb pickups and utes? I don't want anyone to whitewash that either. Only reason why I think that didn't hurt the country that much is that it was not covered as much in the media at a national level and that i don't remember as reason that made people defer their EV purchase decision. May be in Vic it did for some time.

Last edited:

Yes that is a reality and that is a reality we all now. The problem is not in that. The problem is when committing to new coal projects even after knowing that it will not be profitable compared to the new solar/wind/battery options, The problem is not committing to charging Infra or Supporting the transition just because your main contributor to election funds is some petro chemical company or some coal miner.