Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well I think I may have been caught by highway patrol, hoping not! so this what happened..

Driving down a 70kmph road, around midnight, road almost empty, guy in front, middle lane doing like 55-60, felt very slow, same as the right lane, finally a gap opens as right lane guy speeds up, and so I move into the right lane with a quick acceleration (still getting use to the instant pedal feel and cloud like smooth butter driving) then back to the middle lane, so didnt realise by time I overtook was already at like 77kmph, went from 55 to 77 so quickly!,

Then I see the highway patrol cop car hiding bushes ahead, I regen brake back to 60-65kmph, he flashes headlights as I approach

And that was it

So am I safe to say since he didn't chase/pull me over should be ok, ie was just a warning? Or should I expect a fine in mail in a few weeks?
Youll be fine, he woulda pulled you over, unless your marked cars have static cameras but ours dont.
I think the speedo is a few km over the actual speed anyway (according to waze/gps)

Reactions: jaykaye
Youll be fine, he woulda pulled you over, unless your marked cars have static cameras but ours dont.
I think the speedo is a few km over the actual speed anyway (according to waze/gps)

ahh thanks mate, appreciate it, if I am done well ill just cop it on the chin and move on, first fine in over 12 years!

but yeah it was a copper sitting in his car, so probably a handheld, not a fixed cam, no camera flash, and probably wouldnt capture me front on anyway since my headlights aiming at him

ahh thanks mate, appreciate it, if I am done well ill just cop it on the chin and move on, first fine in over 12 years!

but yeah it was a copper sitting in his car, so probably a handheld, not a fixed cam, no camera flash, and probably wouldnt capture me front on anyway since my headlights aiming at him
Yeah prob just flashed to warn say you were close, or the box of donuts fell off the dash and hit the stalk.
Wouldnt have that problem in a m3h

Should invent a mode for the adaptive high beam where when it detects a speed laser it directs all of the pixels to point directly at it haha.
Just kidding. Sometimes a little scare like that where the copper flashes but does nothing has a bigger effect than pulling you over for a minor thing.
For example, we are tslking about it now and i inow that the next time i drive ill have it in the back of my head to keep an eye on the speed :)

Reactions: AusMar and Mes1
Should invent a mode for the adaptive high beam where when it detects a speed laser it directs all of the pixels to point directly at it haha.
Just kidding. Sometimes a little scare like that where the copper flashes but does nothing has a bigger effect than pulling you over for a minor thing.
For example, we are tslking about it now and i inow that the next time i drive ill have it in the back of my head to keep an eye on the speed :)
definitely would help haha

yes its soo effortless and easy to overtake, so very easy potential to break speed limits

On another note, the 2024.2.7 update seems to have fixed my phone in pocket walkaway unlock/lock issue, now the car has zero problems with phone in back pocket coming to car it unlocks every time. yay!

hey guys any advice in this situation, had my wife and lil one with me at shops today, come back to open car, load shopping, they jump in the car and get ready to get going, i walk away with my phone in pocket to put trolley back, and the car locked (horn sounded) and everything turned off.

it should NOT be 'walk away' locking with people inside right?? super annoying as I had to quickly whip phone out and unlock the car before missus got upset haha

ANy ideas?

hey guys any advice in this situation, had my wife and lil one with me at shops today, come back to open car, load shopping, they jump in the car and get ready to get going, i walk away with my phone in pocket to put trolley back, and the car locked (horn sounded) and everything turned off.

it should NOT be 'walk away' locking with people inside right?? super annoying as I had to quickly whip phone out and unlock the car before missus got upset haha

ANy ideas?

Model 3 does not automatically lock if:

• You check the Exclude Home checkbox and Model 3 is parked at the location you have designated as Home. For details on how to designate a location as Home, see Home, Work, and Favorite Destinations.
  • A phone key is detected inside Model 3.
  • A door or trunk is not fully closed.
  • The phone key's Bluetooth setting is turned off.
  • If Model 3 detects an authenticated key for several minutes after you exit the vehicle and close all doors, Walk-Away Lock disables and doors do not lock when you walk away. In this case, you must manually lock your vehicle until after your next drive.

So yes, it will lock as the key is with you. Maybe try one of the suggestions above to not get it to lock? Or leave the door open.

I submitted mine Feb 5th, still "submitted" stage, they replied backlog now its more like 20-25 business days till response arghh
On the main web site (not the portal) there’s a highlighted notice indicating delays due to high volumes of applications.

The brainiac that decided to have us pay for stamp duty upfront mustn’t have realised the additional manual work required by us and them. Likely costing more money on manual labour to do the paperwork.

Reactions: dronus and Mes1

Model 3 does not automatically lock if:

• You check the Exclude Home checkbox and Model 3 is parked at the location you have designated as Home. For details on how to designate a location as Home, see Home, Work, and Favorite Destinations.
  • A phone key is detected inside Model 3.
  • A door or trunk is not fully closed.
  • The phone key's Bluetooth setting is turned off.
  • If Model 3 detects an authenticated key for several minutes after you exit the vehicle and close all doors, Walk-Away Lock disables and doors do not lock when you walk away. In this case, you must manually lock your vehicle until after your next drive.

So yes, it will lock as the key is with you. Maybe try one of the suggestions above to not get it to lock? Or leave the door open.

Ahh thanks for that, yeah I think Ill leave a door open then next time or more preferable even the boot open might do the trick, ie load shopping into boot, leave it open, put trolley away, then come back and close it

Reactions: sammody
On the main web site (not the portal) there’s a highlighted notice indicating delays due to high volumes of applications.

The brainiac that decided to have us pay for stamp duty upfront mustn’t have realised the additional manual work required by us and them. Likely costing more money on manual labour to do the paperwork.

agree silly, should have just kept it as is, more admin, more time wasted

Reactions: edy80y

How did you apply to get the stsmp duty back? I still cant work that out. Ive got the 3k rebate, thats not the ssme thing yeah as before you would get that and not pay stamp duty upfront

Sorry I meant the 3K rebate, and you mentioned that you have that. I think the only other funding applicable to you is 3 years free registration.
yeah the $3k rebate ended January 1 but i was ok because i ordered my M3 in August and had the deposit etc.
I thought the stamp duty was also waivered, and still is but you pay for it upfront or some such.
Ill check with my NL guy, worth a shot :)

I did a lap from Noarlunga all the way down the coast to Outer Harbour, then in thru the city (forgot about the fringe, doh), then out North East, back across the Eastern areas (lots of teslas there), back down cross road to grab my free 7kw at oaklands park then back down south.

Quite a relaxing drive dottering around annoying people who were trying to drive fast, few lunatics out leabrook / kensington area.

Didnt see any m3H tho, saw a very new MY in black which looked dope.