Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Aussie TSLA Highland owners,

I would like to share what I have experienced with a recent drive from Canberra to Cairns.The distance covered was around 3000km over 3.5 days.
For those that have not done much driving in QLD, the Bruce Highway is of varying quality, with very little in the way of dual carriageway once you get north of about Noosa.
Over the non-separated highway portion, I recorded 6 events as phantom regen. By that I mean unexpected aggressive deceleration with no visible threats. There were an additional 3 events that could be explained by objects entering the protected envelope. (an overhanging tree branch, a wildly flapping truck tarpaulin...)
My car is the M3 RWD, hardware 4, with basic autopilot. It reduced speed from 100kmh aggressively while autopilot engaged with both autosteer and cruise control, or cruise control alone.

The strangest observation was that 5/6 of the events all occurred when precisely adjacent, the passing opposite direction vehicle was a late model FORD F series pickup! (F150, F250).
The 1 other vehicle was a RAM 1500. I passed several RAMs with no reaction prior.

You would think the gigantic semis passing 2m away with a closing speed of 200kmh would spook the autopilot but not a single event was associated with a passing heavy vehicle.

I can only assume that the Ford F series had some sort of high-energy noisy EMF or the like, of course this cant be right as the Tesla only uses camera data as far as I am aware.

Very odd!
Anybody have any ideas or similar experiences?

Software version is 2023.44.30.8
I’ve had several severe unexpected full braking events (model S version 2.5), and fortunately on every occasion there has been no cars around, either direction. Whilst it is openly warned in the manual I consider it too dangerous to use. Once that warning is removed I’ll assume the cause is fixed. It seems to be random and does not inflict all cars.

I actually do not understand the visualisations. I can look out the window and see everything exactly as it is, where it is, and with perfect clarity and smooth action. I’m more interested in what I cannot see, like speed, energy use, tyre pressures, battery temperature etc
I agree that in general travel seeing every wheelie bin (for some reason my car is fantastic at spotting them) is a bit useless. I do find it handy to be able to know what the car is alarmed about coming up in red - pedestrian, other car etc - when the warning chimes go off.

Hi Aussie TSLA Highland owners,

I would like to share what I have experienced with a recent drive from Canberra to Cairns.The distance covered was around 3000km over 3.5 days.
For those that have not done much driving in QLD, the Bruce Highway is of varying quality, with very little in the way of dual carriageway once you get north of about Noosa.
Over the non-separated highway portion, I recorded 6 events as phantom regen. By that I mean unexpected aggressive deceleration with no visible threats. There were an additional 3 events that could be explained by objects entering the protected envelope. (an overhanging tree branch, a wildly flapping truck tarpaulin...)
My car is the M3 RWD, hardware 4, with basic autopilot. It reduced speed from 100kmh aggressively while autopilot engaged with both autosteer and cruise control, or cruise control alone.

The strangest observation was that 5/6 of the events all occurred when precisely adjacent, the passing opposite direction vehicle was a late model FORD F series pickup! (F150, F250).
The 1 other vehicle was a RAM 1500. I passed several RAMs with no reaction prior.

You would think the gigantic semis passing 2m away with a closing speed of 200kmh would spook the autopilot but not a single event was associated with a passing heavy vehicle.

I can only assume that the Ford F series had some sort of high-energy noisy EMF or the like, of course this cant be right as the Tesla only uses camera data as far as I am aware.

Very odd!
Anybody have any ideas or similar experiences?

Software version is 2023.44.30.8
Dunno. Maybe the car is a big fan of The Eagles and is just taking things a bit too seriously. (“There’s a girl, my Lord! In a flat-bed Ford, slowin’ down to take a look at me…”)

Reactions: Red tree frog
Picked up today and the car was perfect, however after it sat in the sun I found some condensation in the rear taillight, which is disappointing. I’ve raised it via a service request….
IMG_2267.jpeg

Reactions: dronus
More observations:

We have foglights! But the button disappears and they turn off when you open the door so i couldnt get a pic of the actual lights… im assuming they are in the lower bumper.

IMG_9058.jpeg

Also,@Murphster i had my first unprovoked coal rolling 4wd road rager last night.
If anyone knows the Marion Road entry to the southern expressway in adelaide, i was in the left turning lane going onto the ramp when a gold nissan patrol came flying up to my left, cut me off, brake checked me, then floored it, leaving a big trail of black smoke.
Id never seen that car before and im pretty sure he had come down sturt road onto marion so i wouldnt have seen him.
Anyway, my automatic brakes came on and saved me rear ending him.
The funniest bit was that while he was rolling coal up the expressway entrance, engine screaming, black smoke billiowing, probably pouring litres of fuel thru that forklift engine; i went around him effortlessly and as i went past I gave him a wave and blew him a kiss from my hand he was banging his hands on his steeringwheel and looking for more manliness. It was pretty funny in the end.

Its a long hill, and lets just assume he is probably still chugging away getting up it.

Had a few other people get a bit close in traffic, only one close enough to make the proximity thing go off.

Probably an Adelaide thing… if you are stuck in traffic people think that edging up closer to the car in front of you will get you faster. Personally, i sit back a little bit so it gives me options if i want to change lanes.

No issues with the software this morning, im quietly confident the issue is resolved but ill be going down the same road it occured on tonight, so TOET. Haha

Has anyone managed to get the UMC to update to get 10A/15A with the M3H?

I know I saw something recetly about it not working on the factory version, but I'm trying with the latest version, have had it plugged in a couple of hours now, just wanted to check if anyone has actually had it update?
So left it connected overnight, and still limited to 8A so looks like Highland cannot send the update to the UMC currently.

however after it sat in the sun I found some condensation in the rear taillight,
It’s normal which should dry out. But if it doesn’t in a few days raise a service request with tesla and ask them to replace it with new parts under warranty.

On the Tesla website- Condensation in Head or Tail Lights
Due to weather changes, humidity levels, or recent exposure to water (such as a car wash), condensation may occasionally accumulate in your vehicle’s head or tail lights. This is normal— as the weather gets warmer and humidity decreases, condensation often disappears on its own. If you notice water buildup within the exterior lenses, or if the condensation affects the visibility of the exterior lights, contact Tesla Service.

It’s normal which should dry out. But if it doesn’t in a few days raise a service request with tesla and ask them to replace it with new parts under warranty.

Due to weather changes, humidity levels, or recent exposure to water (such as a car wash), condensation may occasionally accumulate in your vehicle’s head or tail lights. This is normal— as the weather gets warmer and humidity decreases, condensation often disappears on its own. If you notice water buildup within the exterior lenses, or if the condensation affects the visibility of the exterior lights, contact Tesla Service.
Makes sense.

Thanks for the info, was a little surprised when I saw it given it was brand new, but that does make sense (especially as we received a bunch of rain overnight...)

Tesla called back this morning for the service ticket I had already lodged (great service IMO) and pretty much told me the same thing. They said keep an eye on it, but within spec as the outer layer isn't sealed by design...

Hey all I've only done like 70kms and eaten almost half the battery.

Why is this? As a note I've had Sentry on all day at work approx 7 hrs, and since it's hot when I've went to do errands during work i kept aircond running here n there 30mins to 60mins at a time.

I would expect normally 200kms still remaining with 50% battery left.

Just feel its been sucking battery, so any way to see what's been eating it?

Attachments

• 20240215_120542.jpg
    20240215_120542.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 11

Why is this? As a note I've had Sentry on all day at work approx 7 hrs, and since it's hot when I've went to do errands during work i kept aircond running here n there 30mins to 60mins at a time.

what is your power program saying? its the green computer looking icon in the apps

71 km just consumed 10kwh with average consumption at very good 138wh/km. Rest 33kwh should have gone in Cabin Overheat protection while parked, too many wake cycles while parked by constantly invoking tesla app, Sentry mode set to camera getting invoked too many times because of too much activity.

Yeah energy app should be able to throw bit more info to this mystery.

Reactions: Mes1
More observations:

We have foglights! But the button disappears and they turn off when you open the door so i couldnt get a pic of the actual lights… im assuming they are in the lower bumper.

View attachment 1018329

Also,@Murphster i had my first unprovoked coal rolling 4wd road rager last night.
If anyone knows the Marion Road entry to the southern expressway in adelaide, i was in the left turning lane going onto the ramp when a gold nissan patrol came flying up to my left, cut me off, brake checked me, then floored it, leaving a big trail of black smoke.
Id never seen that car before and im pretty sure he had come down sturt road onto marion so i wouldnt have seen him.
Anyway, my automatic brakes came on and saved me rear ending him.
The funniest bit was that while he was rolling coal up the expressway entrance, engine screaming, black smoke billiowing, probably pouring litres of fuel thru that forklift engine; i went around him effortlessly and as i went past I gave him a wave and blew him a kiss from my hand he was banging his hands on his steeringwheel and looking for more manliness. It was pretty funny in the end.

Its a long hill, and lets just assume he is probably still chugging away getting up it.

Had a few other people get a bit close in traffic, only one close enough to make the proximity thing go off.

Probably an Adelaide thing… if you are stuck in traffic people think that edging up closer to the car in front of you will get you faster. Personally, i sit back a little bit so it gives me options if i want to change lanes.

No issues with the software this morning, im quietly confident the issue is resolved but ill be going down the same road it occured on tonight, so TOET. Haha
We certainly have our share of nut jobs in Adelaide, although I’ve been spared that level of rage in a fair while. I had one that did similar to me on the freeway, so I pulled into the next lane. He slammed into the back of the semi I was going around.

Reactions: MacTessy and dronus