Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if having an FSD subscription pushes updates faster?
No-one has ever worked out the rationality or favour in distribution of the bug fixes and new bugs. Many theories exist. None are proven. I and others have had bug updates get stuck so nothing happens until the service centre log in and reset things. You could do an app request to check bug fix downloads are working maybe a couple of months later. Presume you are wifi connected at home? That definately makes a difference.

Reactions: dronus
No-one has ever worked out the rationality or favour in distribution of the bug fixes and new bugs. Many theories exist. None are proven. I and others have had bug updates get stuck so nothing happens until the service centre log in and reset things. You could do an app request to check bug fix downloads are working maybe a couple of months later. Presume you are wifi connected at home? That definately makes a difference.
Yeah cool thanks for that.
Yep ive even just set up a new wifi access point in the shed basically next to the car and its all connected so no poor signal strength issues..
Bit of a mystery ;)

Reactions: paulp
Imagine if that happened in a ‘robotaxi’.
Probably wont help but have you tried either the scroll wheel reset, or getting out, locking the car, and starting again? If its a repeat issue I would book a service request on the app, then you get to meet the usually brilliant and efficient adelaide technicians…except when they cannot find the problem and just start ripping things apart.
Ha thanks, ill see how it looks in the morning, as you suggest the scroll wheel reset and then log a service request if that doesnt fix it.
Im about to do a couple of thousand kms interstate so i guess id prefer if it behaved haha

Not sure (though I haven't tried turning the aircon off after leaving the car to see if it turns back on when I get back in). The only other thing I can think of is maybe setting a departure schedule to precondition the car for your departure time so that when it's time for you to go you won't have it blasting at you unnecessarily?
Just tested , yep it remembers last setting, turned off, locked car , walked away, came back and it was off

Reactions: sammody and dronus
Interesting.. in my service area in my app this must have been the shelf being replaced

IMG_9021.jpeg
IMG_9022.jpeg
IMG_9023.jpeg

I just was thinking about something @paulp said earlier.. so i went out and uninstalled the card game solitare and reinstalled it.
I did this to make sure the car has connectivity via wifi, i guess.
It stayed on “pending download” for ages, installed, said “pending download” again until i closed and reopened the screen.
Curious to see if that triggers anything.

The service part of the app is really cool. Not just for booking, but it also gives you a chat window. I sent them a message saying ill leave the car on wifi if they want to pump anything out to it and save them the time on thursday.

Reactions: paulp and Jules22
Thanks, everything looked ok this morning but i booked a service job for software update for tomorrow afternoon.
The software rollouts are staged and staggered across the fleet. Sometimes versions get squashed during a rollout and many cars never see that version. The TeslaFi Firmware Tracker gives a good view on which versions are "out there" and roughly what proportion of cars have them (you can see 2023.44.30.8 is on a plurality of vehicles still right now). There is no point logging a service request every time your car is slow to get the latest update.

On the other hand, that AEB warning (and lack of visualisations) means something wasn't right with the autopilot computer / cameras. Definitely log a service request for that if it continues.

The software rollouts are staged and staggered across the fleet. Sometimes versions get squashed during a rollout and many cars never see that version. The TeslaFi Firmware Tracker gives a good view on which versions are "out there" and roughly what proportion of cars have them. There is no point logging a service request every time your car is slow to get the latest update.

On the other hand, that AEB warning (and lack of visualisations) means something wasn't right with the autopilot computer / cameras. Definitely log a service request for that if it continues.
Yep exactly, i wasnt toi concerned about the version but im getting errors with the safety systems which i think should be looked at :)

Tesla service in Adelaide have been excellent.

Has anyone managed to get the UMC to update to get 10A/15A with the M3H?

I know I saw something recetly about it not working on the factory version, but I'm trying with the latest version, have had it plugged in a couple of hours now, just wanted to check if anyone has actually had it update?

Last edited:
There is no point logging a service request every time your car is slow to get the latest update.

Indeed. In fact you should be grateful when your car is slow to get the latest updates, because then you can decide whether to install it or not based on all the bug reports here, and descriptions of what used to work but the update has now broken.

Let others be the beta testers, I say 😄

This. I understand the excitement (or lack of) when a software update is released and everyone wanting to get their hands on it, but don't worry it'll get to you eventually. Sometimes you're not missing out on much ;)
Yeah the only reason why i did in this case was that i was getting warnings about safety systems not being there.
I can report back that the drive home was flawless, actually i think the visualisation was better being that it picked up more cars and objects and was smoother.
Ill compare the build numbers when i get s chance, but maybe now i have the regional build instead of the factory build?

Reactions: Jules22
This. I understand the excitement (or lack of) when a software update is released and everyone wanting to get their hands on it, but don't worry it'll get to you eventually. Sometimes you're not missing out on much ;)
I think ownership age makes you cynical about tesla updates, and you eventually learn that an update is most likely going to break something. Some people enjoy the challenge of finding what it broke.
I used to enjoy updates and would download them immediately. Not so anymore.

Yeah the only reason why i did in this case was that i was getting warnings about safety systems not being there.
I can report back that the drive home was flawless, actually i think the visualisation was better being that it picked up more cars and objects and was smoother.
Ill compare the build numbers when i get s chance, but maybe now i have the regional build instead of the factory build?
I actually do not understand the visualisations. I can look out the window and see everything exactly as it is, where it is, and with perfect clarity and smooth action. I’m more interested in what I cannot see, like speed, energy use, tyre pressures, battery temperature etc

I actually do not understand the visualisations. I can look out the window and see everything exactly as it is, where it is, and with perfect clarity and smooth action. I’m more interested in what I cannot see, like speed, energy use, tyre pressures, battery temperature etc
Without the USS ive found the visuals really handy when parking next to curbs and cars etc. without it id be touch parking forsure.

Watching a 3d ghost of a guy walking a dog while stuck in traffic is just a bit of fun :)

Hi Aussie TSLA Highland owners,

I would like to share what I have experienced with a recent drive from Canberra to Cairns.The distance covered was around 3000km over 3.5 days.
For those that have not done much driving in QLD, the Bruce Highway is of varying quality, with very little in the way of dual carriageway once you get north of about Noosa.
Over the non-separated highway portion, I recorded 6 events as phantom regen. By that I mean unexpected aggressive deceleration with no visible threats. There were an additional 3 events that could be explained by objects entering the protected envelope. (an overhanging tree branch, a wildly flapping truck tarpaulin...)
My car is the M3 RWD, hardware 4, with basic autopilot. It reduced speed from 100kmh aggressively while autopilot engaged with both autosteer and cruise control, or cruise control alone.

The strangest observation was that 5/6 of the events all occurred when precisely adjacent, the passing opposite direction vehicle was a late model FORD F series pickup! (F150, F250).
The 1 other vehicle was a RAM 1500. I passed several RAMs with no reaction prior.

You would think the gigantic semis passing 2m away with a closing speed of 200kmh would spook the autopilot but not a single event was associated with a passing heavy vehicle.

I can only assume that the Ford F series had some sort of high-energy noisy EMF or the like, of course this cant be right as the Tesla only uses camera data as far as I am aware.

Very odd!
Anybody have any ideas or similar experiences?

Software version is 2023.44.30.8