Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome, thanks. Will be interesting to watch this evolve
Yeah, would be good if they could work in some sort of reliability score, perhaps Tesla drivers could have an option to flag if something isn't working etc.

Would be even better if the other providers could work with them to have the tech included to allow a charge and have it bill direct to the Tesla account without having to stuff around, but I can't see that coming any time soon.

Billsons brewery to test destination chargers for the first time

IMG_9191.jpeg

IMG_2568.jpeg

CBR-SYD-BNE-ROK-CNS
Trip Cost for charging with a mixture of Superchargers then Chargefox north of Rocky,
Canberra to Cairns was $89. (!)
Equivalent ICE trip at say 7L/100km would’ve been $420.

Started with 100%, final was 20%, so add another ~50kWh. I managed to get that last bit free at a shopping centre carpark!

Not a single supercharger north of Rockhampton, hopefully there are more planned. I read somewhere that Mackay is under construction.
The trip unfortunately shed light on the appalling condition of QLD roads north of Noosa. It’s a shame this wealthy nation we can’t afford a duel carriageway all the way from PER to ADL, MEL, SYD, BNE, CNS. Gotta afford them obsolete subs I guess.

Shout out to the QLD govt (if they had anything to do with it) for the very handy placement of the 50kW CCS2 chargers in QLD.
Not sure if only having 1 plug per town is going to work out too well in the very near future, but it’s better than nothing.

But what an amazing car to do long distance in. I did a 13hr day which including 9.5hrs driving. Not fatigued. At all.
Low vibration, low noise, all my favourite music, very comfy seats.

What a car.

Billsons brewery to test destination chargers for the first time

View attachment 1019657
I still don't understand why these and any fast chargers can't be under a canopy of some size. Is is mandatory to make all those go thru the planned obsolescence by Harsh UV and bird poo and rain water and what not? Or are people so imbecile and lazy and stupid?

Reactions: avfc1982 and dronus
Yeah, would be good if they could work in some sort of reliability score, perhaps Tesla drivers could have an option to flag if something isn't working etc.

Would be even better if the other providers could work with them to have the tech included to allow a charge and have it bill direct to the Tesla account without having to stuff around, but I can't see that coming any time soon.
That is a universal problem right now. Norway is one of the first to recognize that problem and trying to establish a standard to solve this and put an end to the the charger app mayhem. I wouldn't say billing to just tesla as a solution. May be an option to link to any biller of your choice. May be your Grid provider oar tesla or your mobile provide can all be your EV charge biller.

And also ability to charge without any subscription or app - pay as you go using credit/debit/prepaid card is also one good option. Even people without any bank account/smart phone should be able to buy prepaid cards and top it up from convenience stores and be ready drive anywhere. Rental companies can provide their own cards which will then gets billed to the customer while returning the car.

Last edited:

CBR-SYD-BNE-ROK-CNS
Trip Cost for charging with a mixture of Superchargers then Chargefox north of Rocky,

Started with 100%, final was 20%, so add another ~50kWh. I managed to get that last bit free at a shopping centre carpark!

Not a single supercharger north of Rockhampton, hopefully there are more planned. I read somewhere that Mackay is under construction.
The trip unfortunately shed light on the appalling condition of QLD roads north of Noosa. It’s a shame this wealthy nation we can’t afford a duel carriageway all the way from PER to ADL, MEL, SYD, BNE, CNS. Gotta afford them obsolete subs I guess.

Shout out to the QLD govt (if they had anything to do with it) for the very handy placement of the 50kW CCS2 chargers in QLD.
Not sure if only having 1 plug per town is going to work out too well in the very near future, but it’s better than nothing.

But what an amazing car to do long distance in. I did a 13hr day which including 9.5hrs driving. Not fatigued. At all.

What a car.
I love to do such trips. So far trips I have are all within 15km range couple of times a week to and from work and few pickup and drops. Please keep posting your adventures here also with a lot more pics of your adventures:

Enjoy your car👍👍👍👍👍👍.

Reactions: Jules22
That is a universal problem right now. Norway is one of the first to recognize that problem and trying to establish a standard to solve this and put an end to the the charger app mayhem. I wouldn't say billing to just tesla as a solution. May be an option to link to any biller of your choice. May be your Grid provider oar tesla or your mobile provide can all be your EV charge biller.

And also ability to charge without any subscription or app - pay as you go using credit/debit/prepaid card is also one good option. Even people without any bank account/smart phone should be able to buy prepaid cards and top it up from convenience stores and be ready drive anywhere. Rental companies can provide their own cards which will then gets billed to the customer while returning the car.

100% agree. Similar to how public transport has been revolutionised by 'tap & go' on Visa/Mastercard/AMEX/Apple Pay... this should be the standard or at minimum, an option on public charging infrastructure. I'm sure a small little tap & go window could be made more aesthetically pleasing than the typical ones found on vending machines. It would negate the need to always use a phone app to start/end charging and allow more flexibility for consumers.

Reactions: paulp and jeevas123

CBR-SYD-BNE-ROK-CNS

What a car.
Great insight and write-up! Thanks. I believe the Mackay Tesla site has been chosen as Ooralea, near the Woolies/Maccas if you know the area. Apparently online sometime this year.

You can thank the Labor state government for the public charging infrastructure initiatives in QLD Queensland's Electric Super Highway & Queensland Electric Super Highway

• Love
Reactions: jeevas123
I still don't understand why these and any fast chargers can't be under a canopy of some size. Is is mandatory to make all those go thru the planned obsolescence by Harsh UV and bird poo and rain water and what not? Or are people so imbecile and lazy and stupid?
I guess it a good step for them to have them at all. Especially in these “country towns”

If you cover them, they will all be ice’d fo shizzle

Reactions: jeevas123