Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at that water beading! Ceramic coat certainly makes a difference. What was your vehicle coated with @dronus? I went with Gtechniq after the detailer recommended it. I had previously used Opticoat on my last car which I was pretty happy with.
I’ve used both on a model s. The opticoat is good, the g-tech is noticably superior. @dronus used a different one again

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Look at that water beading! Ceramic coat certainly makes a difference. What was your vehicle coated with @dronus? I went with Gtechniq after the detailer recommended it. I had previously used Opticoat on my last car which I was pretty happy with.

Sorry, i cant remember but it seems to work!
I think i posted its name a while ago.

I hit a small bird the other day on my bumper which i freaked out about at the time but it didnt seem to do anything to the bumper.

Has anyone performed a software update not plugged in and not on WiFi? My app keeps nagging me about a software update (from 2023.44.100.1 to 2024.2.3) that's due but it's currently sitting at the detailers. I probably best wait until it's back home in the garage to update in case they need to move it.

I think it will work but id just wait till you get it home :)

I’ve used both on a model s. The opticoat is good, the g-tech is noticably superior. @dronus used a different one again

Makes a big difference, huh :)

Reactions: e-enthusiast30
Has anyone performed a software update not plugged in and not on WiFi? My app keeps nagging me about a software update (from 2023.44.100.1 to 2024.2.3) that's due but it's currently sitting at the detailers. I probably best wait until it's back home in the garage to update in case they need to move it.
Ohh and just to clarify, my car was on my phone hotspot when i did the update. Took about 30mins from memory

Very much the same, as long as you are actively paying attention it seems to leave you alone.

I did find that going through roadworks and very narrow temporary lanes etc it gets much more nervous and nags more often but I see that as a good thing.

A few times I have been quite relaxed about looking forward, on purpose, to try and trigger a warning just to see its tolerances... got nada.

Not sure I have mentioned it, but really loving this car.. It still hasn't fully sunk in that it's mine.
Dropping it off tomorrow for tint and ceramic treatment, should look mint.

A few times I have been quite relaxed about looking forward, on purpose, to try and trigger a warning just to see its tolerances... got nada.

Not sure I have mentioned it, but really loving this car.. It still hasn't fully sunk in that it's mine.
Dropping it off tomorrow for tint and ceramic treatment, should look mint.
I think if you are wearing sunglasses you get a bit more leeway than if it can directly see your eyes.

Reactions: Red tree frog
Can anyone recommend a bug cleaning product for the Tesla? I did SYD to CBR this week and my lord does it pick up bugs and I have attempted a wash but some are a bit stubborn.....
I drove Adelaide - Wangaratta and the front bumper resembled a horrific bug crime scene.
Luckily it all just hosed off using the pressure cleaner (not too close) at the wodonga carwash.
I reckon the ceramic coating works

• Love
Reactions: paulp and Jules22
Can anyone recommend a bug cleaning product for the Tesla? I did SYD to CBR this week and my lord does it pick up bugs and I have attempted a wash but some are a bit stubborn.....
Take to a decent detailer, ask them to remove the bugs and as a minimum ceramic coat the impact zones. You will then not need a bug cleaner.
But if you do not want to do that the best bug cleaner I’ve found is a wet paper towel left on the baked on bug for 15 mins, not in the sun and dont let it dry out. It will then just fall off with no paint damage. Also by far the best way to deal with dried bird droppings.

Last edited:
With the wide release of FSD V12 (in the US) it's been extremely promising to see dozens of videos popping up showing extremely promising results all accross the country.

As I mentioned previously I'd expected to see a significant regression in moving architecture but the inital results in San Fransisco were extremely positive. I also expected that other parts of the country would not be as good, given there is so much testing done in the Bay Area. Initial results though have again proven me wrong. It's been extremely impressive to see so many intervention free drives and the car confidently navigating some extremely complex situations that previously V11 was too timid to even attempt.

Can't wait to see testing in Australia start to move to non-employees!

Reactions: dronus
With the wide release of FSD V12 (in the US) it's been extremely promising to see dozens of videos popping up showing extremely promising results all accross the country.

As I mentioned previously I'd expected to see a significant regression in moving architecture but the inital results in San Fransisco were extremely positive. I also expected that other parts of the country would not be as good, given there is so much testing done in the Bay Area. Initial results though have again proven me wrong. It's been extremely impressive to see so many intervention free drives and the car confidently navigating some extremely complex situations that previously V11 was too timid to even attempt.

Can't wait to see testing in Australia start to move to non-employees!
Incredible technology.

Imagine what our grandparents would say if they saw this .. 😃

Reactions: bsbh and Jules22
Weird issue tonight, my wife has taken the car to a thing she is at, and is parked out in the street. I have been getting alerts that the frunk is open. I can see on the camera that it isn't. I have called her, and she has been out to check it and the frunk is closed, not unlocked. But the app shows the frunk open.

Anyone had this? Does anyone know if the car will drive if it thinks the frunk is open? There isn't any way to even open it and then close it again to reset the sensor because obviously there isn't an option to open it as it already thinks it is open.

Reactions: dronus
Weird issue tonight, my wife has taken the car to a thing she is at, and is parked out in the street. I have been getting alerts that the frunk is open. I can see on the camera that it isn't. I have called her, and she has been out to check it and the frunk is closed, not unlocked.

Anyone had this? Does anyone know if the car will drive if it thinks the frunk is open? There isn't any way to even open it and then close it again to reset the sensor because obviously there isn't an option to open it as it already thinks it is open.
I think it will still open it if you press open. Even while it has "Open" status. Sensor is on the right hand side of the frunk lock, relatevely easy to access. Check youreself or raise a support case if don't feel comfortable. And no, I don't think it will allow to drive with open frunk.

Weird issue tonight, my wife has taken the car to a thing she is at, and is parked out in the street. I have been getting alerts that the frunk is open. I can see on the camera that it isn't. I have called her, and she has been out to check it and the frunk is closed, not unlocked. But the app shows the frunk open.

Moral of the story: Dont let anyone else drive your new Tesla haha

I think it will still open it if you press open. Even while it has "Open" status. Sensor is on the right hand side of the frunk lock, relatevely easy to access. Check youreself or raise a support case if don't feel comfortable. And no, I don't think it will allow to drive with open frunk.
Ive pressed the internal release button while the frunk was open and the latch clicked like it was opening too.

Click like if you vote for me to climb inside the frunk and try it with the frunk closed…

Okay thanks. Will wait for her to call and see if she can open and close it again and then drive home.