Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interesting experience today using Exploren public chargers for the first time.

Tried the first one 'Remove charging cable and try again'
Second one 'Error - fault found. Remove charging cable.'
Third one 'Remove charging cable and try again'

I thought this was odd and as I pulled into the 4th and last charger, a MY owner pulled into the second one I tried to use. I told him I got a fault and couldn't use it but he had it working straight away and told me he just plugged in, scanned the QR code in the app and away it went.

So I plugged back in and did the same. The error came back up, but I went to the app, scanned the QR code and the error went away and almost right away Bluey was charging at 11kW for free. I guess lesson learnt, don't believe what the screen says haha.

Happy charging!

I should also add, I ended up getting my roof tinted with 20% grade tint. It has certainly made a noticeable difference to the temperature inside the cabin during the day but at the cost of very low visbility through the sun roof. You can see streetlights and the sun through the clouds but it is very subdued.

I'm on the fence whether to remove it and change it to a higher vis tint (35% or greater) as I kind of miss 'looking out through the fishbowl'...

I didn't realise how dark 20% would look when I originally got it and the tint shop did add they mostly do 20% on the sunroof for Tesla owners.

I got all windows done at 35% and am very happy with that level of tint.

Has anyone else had trouble with voice recognition?

I know I'm not the clearest speaker, and my carplay integration in the last car had spectacular funny interpretations sometimes, but this one is more like 100% wrong in every word, phrase and sentence. I tried to open the glovebox the other day and the charger opened twice and then it called someone. My wifes name, it calls everyone in my phonebook except her. Text message last week I tried to say to my boss "no problem at all, it was a pleasure" and it said "there is no pleasure with you, always drama" which kinda true, but thats the kind of level of difference I'm finding!

Also, anyone hiring? :) :)

• Funny
Reactions: dronus
Make sure you have it on "British English" for voice input (it's a separate setting).

I've not really had any issues, found it better than most other cars, even before I changed to the British English setting. But I know others have had issues, some have been solved by that setting others have not.

I know I'm not the clearest speaker, and my carplay integration in the last car had spectacular funny interpretations sometimes, but this one is more like 100% wrong in every word, phrase and sentence. I tried to open the glovebox the other day and the charger opened twice and then it called someone. My wifes name, it calls everyone in my phonebook except her. Text message last week I tried to say to my boss "no problem at all, it was a pleasure" and it said "there is no pleasure with you, always drama" which kinda true, but thats the kind of level of difference I'm finding!

Throw on an american accent and it works great, otherwise it’s rubbish. The previous non-tesla version was amazing though, but that was taken away.

You should try it in Adelaide.
Say “Youse go to the deli past the stobie pole then head to the malls balls” it has nfi

• Funny
Reactions: paulp and Jules22
IMG_9589.jpeg

Stealth Grey M3H in rAdelaide. Does it get any radder?

It's been hit and miss for me. Some things it gets perfectly, other times I tell it to turn on the wipers (which don't come on nearly quick enough in the rain) and suddenly I am heading across the nullabour to some obscure business named Wiper One.

Just found this in the manual

Naming your Vehicle​

To further personalize your vehicle, you can name it. Touch Controls > Software > Name Your Vehiclelocated on the right side of the touchscreen below the image of Model 3. If your vehicle already has a name, touch the existing name to change it. Enter the new name in the popup and touch Save. The name of your Model 3 also appears in the Tesla mobile app.

Reactions: sammody and dronus
Just found this in the manual

Naming your Vehicle​

To further personalize your vehicle, you can name it. Touch Controls > Software > Name Your Vehiclelocated on the right side of the touchscreen below the image of Model 3. If your vehicle already has a name, touch the existing name to change it. Enter the new name in the popup and touch Save. The name of your Model 3 also appears in the Tesla mobile app.
You’d be surprised how much useful info is in that manual ;)

Did you know there’s also a manual you can reference in the screen?

Reactions: PcS000 and Jules22
Upon getting my car back from paint correction/protection yesterday I was advised that two black dots (bonnet and rear bumper) are unable to be removed as they’re embedded in the paint. The same shop are doing lots of Tesla’s and they’ve already seen a few with the exact same problem. Notably a white M3 had 4 of these dots on it.

I’ve found one thread on Reddit with the exact same problem, as well as a bloke on Facebook who ended up having his bonnet resprayed through Tesla as they admitted it was a problem with the paint. His was also stealth grey.

Any thoughts? I’m not really keen on the idea of respraying the bonnet and rear bumper, especially after forking out for paint correction/protection (paint mismatch, panel gaps etc). This is on top of my windscreen having a scratch right in my FOV, which I only noticed after the first wash. Windscreen/glass polishing places advised to just leave it be. I haven’t even used the wipers so it happened before delivery 🙃.

I know cars will get chips and scratches over time but it’s just a tad frustrating when it’s a brand new car.

IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3395.jpeg

Upon getting my car back from paint correction/protection yesterday I was advised that two black dots (bonnet and rear bumper) are unable to be removed as they’re embedded in the paint. The same shop are doing lots of Tesla’s and they’ve already seen a few with the exact same problem. Notably a white M3 had 4 of these dots on it.

I’ve found one thread on Reddit with the exact same problem, as well as a bloke on Facebook who ended up having his bonnet resprayed through Tesla as they admitted it was a problem with the paint. His was also stealth grey.

Any thoughts? I’m not really keen on the idea of respraying the bonnet and rear bumper, especially after forking out for paint correction/protection (paint mismatch, panel gaps etc). This is on top of my windscreen having a scratch right in my FOV, which I only noticed after the first wash. Windscreen/glass polishing places advised to just leave it be. I haven’t even used the wipers so it happened before delivery 🙃.

I know cars will get chips and scratches over time but it’s just a tad frustrating when it’s a brand new car.

View attachment 1025953

View attachment 1025954
Its definitely frustrating to have a new car delivered with things like this. Mine had a few inconsistencies in the paint at pickup and was due for paint correction and ceramic coat the following day so had no time to really fix the issue without delaying everything else that would protect the paint. Then the paint protection people were telling me respraying would be least desirable due to possible paint colors not matching, and Tesla telling me if anyone else touched the exterior of the car to try and fix it that they wouldn't be able to fix it under warranty. It was all too much in the end.

I realised later that honestly nobody else but me knows about the tiny blotch of paint on the boot that you have to look at a very certain angle to see and moved on.

20240220_170339.jpg

Reactions: Tesl3on and Jules22
Its definitely frustrating to have a new car delivered with things like this. Mine had a few inconsistencies in the paint at pickup and was due for paint correction and ceramic coat the following day so had no time to really fix the issue without delaying everything else that would protect the paint. Then the paint protection people were telling me respraying would be least desirable due to possible paint colors not matching, and Tesla telling me if anyone else touched the exterior of the car to try and fix it that they wouldn't be able to fix it under warranty. It was all too much in the end.

I realised later that honestly nobody else but me knows about the tiny blotch of paint on the boot that you have to look at a very certain angle to see and moved on.

View attachment 1025956
Yeah honestly it’s this kind of logic that makes me feel a lot better about letting it go. Thanks mate.

Reactions: divstar