Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ive noticed on this forum quite a lot of ppl took a punt before the new LCT thresholds were announced, and went and ordered color/wheel optioned LR's anyway kinda half betting for a FY24 delivery. I wish i'd done that, considering my original white order date, if I had ordered the blue that I wanted on that day, my car would be on grand eagle today and would've just unloaded, i could play it a few days and boom it'd be 1st jul by the time i pick it up.. but nooooo, dumba$$ me went and ordered a white when i wanted a blue, so I had to reorder once the LCT threshold was announced. so now my white's back in the queue (someone else will get it), and my blue order is at the back of the queue, Tesla SA tells me no chance before September... and lost $400 in the process. *kicks brick wall hard*
keep an eye on here for your desired spec. I have seen a huge number of LR, RWD, Performance models in inventory/ in transit/ in Australia. You can purchase straight from this site (redirects you to Tesla) and instead of ordering again and being at the back of the queue you can lock in a car in the next week or so...

Given an fair few people would be cancelling orders that wont make the EOFY your favorite spec may come up!

keep an eye on here for your desired spec. I have seen a huge number of LR, RWD, Performance models in inventory/ in transit/ in Australia. You can purchase straight from this site (redirects you to Tesla) and instead of ordering again and being at the back of the queue you can lock in a car in the next week or so...

Given an fair few people would be cancelling orders that wont make the EOFY your favorite spec may come up!
omg that's weird.. my exact spec is now showing as inventory yet my actual order dont even have a VIN yet! k i'll follow up!! thx!

EDIT: nvm - cant be done. That inventory's in WA and they dont transfer cars interstate... gawddd Tesla can be SOOO frustrating to deal with!

Last edited:

Kudos to the maker of that site, the redirect to purchase auto adds his referral code :). Well played.

omg that's weird.. my exact spec is now showing as inventory yet my actual order dont even have a VIN yet! k i'll follow up!! thx!

EDIT: nvm - cant be done. That inventory's in WA and they dont transfer cars interstate... gawddd Tesla can be SOOO frustrating to deal with!
The site does show generally where each car is located (underneath each image). There are new cars in that list every day, just have a look regularly 👍

Us too.. we're bowing out here now as picking up another EV today to ensure EOFY deadline. Very frustrated with Tesla - they've certainly lost us as a customer.
I sympathise with you, but really the delays are not Tesla's fault, certainly not those hitting us in 2023. They are not deliberately going slow on deliveries, they surely want them out on the roads as soon as they can. We are all victims of inadequate infrastructure and a combination of circumstances (eg the recent heightened interest in bio-security screening) not to mention the huge local demand for Teslas - no other manufacturer is getting anywhere near as many orders. In case you are wondering, I am not a Tesla fanboy and had to wait a year for mine.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your car whatever it is, good luck.

I sympathise with you, but really the delays are not Tesla's fault, certainly not those hitting us in 2023. They are not deliberately going slow on deliveries, they surely want them out on the roads as soon as they can. We are all victims of inadequate infrastructure and a combination of circumstances (eg the recent heightened interest in bio-security screening) not to mention the huge local demand for Teslas - no other manufacturer is getting anywhere near as many orders. In case you are wondering, I am not a Tesla fanboy and had to wait a year for mine.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your car whatever it is, good luck.
Hi Leconte,
How do you feel about the wide disparity between waiting times? I can't see how port congestion causes a December order to receive their car a month before an October order, for example. I think you make a valid point, but I can't agree that all of the problems are out of Tesla's control.

Reactions: LWR15K
For a big lump sum, 1 business day? Good to know. Mine with nab and only can do 40k max at the time unless going to branch. What a pain
One thing with NAB that isn't obvious is that with a joint account (or a company account with multiple signatories) you can both do $40K each on one day, so $80K is possible i.e. the limit is per authorised user not actual bank account. At least that's what they told us, although we paid early and did it over three days from one of us.

Hi Leconte,
How do you feel about the wide disparity between waiting times? I can't see how port congestion causes a December order to receive their car a month before an October order, for example. I think you make a valid point, but I can't agree that all of the problems are out of Tesla's control.
Unfortunately I agree.
Some things are out of their control but not all.
Additionally they are offering an incentive to order a performance model y or 3 and pick up before 30 June when they can't guarantee these cars will arrive. They are all cars stuck from grand eagle

Reactions: JonDarian
Hi Leconte,
Hi Jon, I have followed your posts with interest and sympathy, and admire how you support others with information and observations. I cannot answer your point about disparity accurately and yes it seems chaotic at times. My suspicion is that within Tesla, each state has a bunch of people trying to match people with cars as the cars get released from port and then assigned to a transporter (I also think the car transporters cannot keep up with cars being cleared at port), and that the process is local, loose and prone to allocations out of order. I expect this is very much a horizontally staffed organisation and not a rigid hierarchy with reporting lines, rules, policies and procedures. Very Elon in fact.

However I also know we often hear the squeaky wheel the loudest on these forums, that many people do not live or lurk here, and that the bad stories stick with us more than good ones. Plus the really bad ones get repeated in quotes and replies and such and hence amplified. Not discounting anyones experience and maybe my expectations of the process likely were too low having read through a year or two of the Model 3 thread before the Y even got released last June. Additionally I don't have this EOFY pressure as mine is not a company purchase - but which having run my own company (now dormant) for over thirty years I can understand.

Re the current delivery situation, what does worry me is that I thought we were in a bubble of pain a month or two ago that would pass, but it seems to be continuing (albeit moving from state to state) when I would have expected it to be easing. Now at Mulgrave last Saturday there were about 100 cars in the warehouse and room for maybe 50 more. I picked up late morning along with half a dozen other people in the 15 minutes or so in the waiting room i was there, so I would say maybe 30 to 40 cars would go out in the morning and maybe another 50 after noon. One car carrier arrived while we were there (with I think 5 cars on board ? Not many more) which would be a 90 minute return trip to Port Melbourne. So I reckon of the hundred or so cars, maybe 70 to 80 would go out per day but they would need three or four or five carriers running non stop to replace them. A lot of the supply side does get back to bottlenecks.

To your point on disparity, Tesla through looseness in allocation have contributed mainly via this forum site to the negative feelings of those at the rough end of it. However if you go back and actually count the instances cited (and I have read every post in this thread and the Model 3 thread (well I gave up on that one a few weeks ago) then among the thousands of cars being delivered it is maybe 5 percent with grievances. And I do think when last minute cancellations occur for a car sitting ready to deliver, that the process of re-allocating is almost certainly looser again.

Sorry to be so long winded but you asked how I feel! My situation and experience is different to yours, I was very happy (in retrospect that is) to have my MYP delivery delayed earlier this year because the LR got released when the P was only a week or two away from delivery, and I could swap to an LR and still keep my place in the queue and keep my 'early order' free UMC kit. I was hoping and hoping and hoping this would happen (I started a thread about it on here), so apart from the very long wait (worrying about our current car which is on its last legs); I ended up happy and saved around $15K. So maybe that colours my posts here to be more on the positive side, like a bad experience does for others.

At the end of the day these forums are a great place to share information, air views and weigh up options and decisions. I am very grateful for all posters and have learned a lot being here, from you and others. Thanks.

I will probably be fading away from here soon although I won't be leaving TMC, too much to still learn - I do need a 'Dummy's guide to the Tesla Y'. For example just found out in another thread that one press of the RH stalk gives you speed-only cruise control (which I want), but two presses gives you basic autopilot (with steering control) - which I don't want. I didn't know that!