Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDD updated today to 28 August - 18 September. No VIN yet.

Congrats! Your car is most likely on the Crystal Ace I mentioned in the WA thread

How are you searching for the VIN?

Tesla VIN Finder Chrome extension is the recommended way, or manually searching the source code (of your car's "manage" page) for LRWY

Have you completed all outstanding tasks on your account? putting in your rego details, choosing cash or finance etc?
Or have you got a pending trade-in?

Incomplete tasks/trade-ins can prevent the hidden VIN from showing up.

Reactions: Still Need BP
Update. My car arrived on Sunrise Ace on Tuesday. Got a text from Tesla confirming this too. Next day my delivery window changed to Aug 6-Aug 27. Picking up from Chatswood. Currently waiting on text to book date and time. Not holding my breath as there would have been a lot of cars on those ships that arrived this week.
Mine's also on Sunrise Ace and my delivery got pushed back to August 09 - August 30. I've booked the pick up as Chatswood but on the 6th of July, I got a text message saying they've changed it to Alexandria. I thought all cars on this vessel got changed to Alexandria until I saw your post so I've asked if they can change to Chatswood.

Mine's also on Sunrise Ace and my delivery got pushed back to August 09 - August 30. I've booked the pick up as Chatswood but on the 6th of July, I got a text message saying they've changed it to Alexandria. I thought all cars on this vessel got changed to Alexandria until I saw your post so I've asked if they can change to Chatswood.
And because Sunrise Ace was shipped out mid May taking 2.5 months to arrive, our cars will have missing cargo cover option despite getting it later than others with production date late May. Vessel was stuck in Singapore for over a month and then Port Kembla for 2 weeks.

Congrats! Your car is most likely on the Crystal Ace I mentioned in the WA thread

Tesla VIN Finder Chrome extension is the recommended way, or manually searching the source code (of your car's "manage" page) for LRWY

Have you completed all outstanding tasks on your account? putting in your rego details, choosing cash or finance etc?

Thanks. Have completed all tasks but waiting on trade-in offer.....even though unlikely to accept offer based on what Tesla offered for our previous car. Have the Chrome extension but still no VIN showing. Got a message and email today saying a vehicle has been assigned so the VIN must be close and likely waiting trade-in.

I will start stalking the Crystal Ace on Molace :)

I drove into our driveway today and stopped when they told me I was 60cm from the hedge in our garden but when I checked the passenger side was about 15cm. It was only a hedge but it might have been a concrete post.
I don't imagine a hedge does a very good job of reflecting sound waves. Most of them would either be absorbed or bounced off in a different direction.

Ultrasonics can be a useful aid, but you do still need to be careful. At least they work better than the camera-only parking aids they get overseas.

All my texts for a while now have had Chatswood signature at the end.

And because Sunrise Ace was shipped out mid May taking 2.5 months to arrive, our cars will have missing cargo cover option despite getting it later than others with production date late May. Vessel was stuck in Singapore for over a month and then Port Kembla for 2 weeks.
Hopefully we get lucky and they compensate us with something else. I don’t know how good that shelf is anyway. Looks clumsy. I’ll just retrofit a aftermarket retractable one. Those later built cars will also have PWS speaker fitted which I fitted to my current model 3 and hate. I have duct tape over the speaker grille which keeps it at a much more suitable volume while still being safe. Can’t do this with the newer cars as they no longer have a seperate horn. All done through PWS.

Our MYLR delivered late June 2023 has USS but they don't seem to be very accurate. I drove into our driveway today and stopped when they told me I was 60cm from the hedge in our garden but when I checked the passenger side was about 15cm. It was only a hedge but it might have been a concrete post.
I haven't checked my lateral or rear sensors, but the front sensors were accurate to within a centimetre when measured against a flat metal surface. I would be really unhappy to be without USS, but I am also aware they don't detect round objects (like poles) well and don't detect at all heights. My big fear is that I will turn left and drag the left flank of the car over one of the foot-high curbs that are everywhere in my local shopping centre.

Reactions: Power Hungry

Update - rejected the Trade in offer last night and VIN now appears using the Chrome extension. Confirmed on the Crystal Ace bound for Fremantle via Thailand.

Reactions: [Zombie]
I understand this is the MY Waiting room, but I think this might be beneficial to new Tesla Owners.

This is my 3-week review of the RWD-MY.

Power Consumption:

We bought the standard range MY because we don't have to drive very far and away from charging locations. We work around the city and typical commute is 40km. I was initially disappointed with the power consumption of the car because it was showing ~15% reduction in battery after driving 40 km. I knew that the advertised range is not real, but I thought it should be around that number (i.e. advertised is 455km, I expected 420 to 430). But after a 40km drive, the car was reporting a range of ~380km.

Tesla advertises:
-132Wh/km
-455 km Range,
-Battery capacity of 57.5kw (useable)

But, 57.5kw/0.132 kw/km = 435 km (🤔)

Looking at the energy app, and trip data from the car, we were averaging 160 wh/km on flat Melbourne City driving. This was disappointing.

Started digging deeper and made the following adjustments:
1. changed the driving mode to "Chill"
2. rarely use A/C. the climate control for us is just a fan with no heating or cooling. We generally pre-condition the car and it maintains temps pretty easily through the drive.
After the above changes, our power consumption dropped to an average of 130 w/km which is inline with the expected range :) .

If you use Sentry Mode, throw the above in the bin. It sucks so much juice. circa 5~7% a day if not parked at home. Recommend to turn this on only if you are sceptical about the location where you parked.

Autopilot:

I first tested the autopilot on city driving. That didn't go well. Combining tram tracks with windy roads gave a bit of a challenge for autopilot. The car was phantom breaking constantly (especially around windy roads).

But when used on freeways.... WOW! 120km drive, I did not intervene once! It is not your standard "Lane Correction" that other cars use. The cameras operate to maintain in the centre of the road at all times and vehicle detection to reduce/increase speed around cars is very smooth. Driven 120 km at night away from the city, and 120km back (into heavy traffic) with no issues both ways. Not a single phantom break. Really looking forward to long range driving now.

The car was also detecting other cars that are getting too close to you and shifts slightly to one edge of the lane to give a bit more distance.

I'm generally an anxious driver, I keep looking at mirrors and checking what cars next to me do all the time. But with autopilot on, I generally relaxed half way through. Car asks to keep hands on steering wheel. But even if you don't, autopilot still functions. Not sure if it starts yelling at you after a few minutes. I generally kept a hand on the wheel.

Tip- you need to enable autopilot while parked for each profile.

Rims

The 20" induction wheels look really good on this car. But the design of the Rims and Tires is not fit for purpose. Generally, most tires are slightly larger than the rims. That way, when you approach a Kerb, the tires will hit in lieu of the Rims. On those wheels, the Rim will hit first. We hit the Rims on day 3 of owning the car 🤬. I'll now have to sand the rim edges down, and paint the effected area. Then I'll be buying Rim Skins and installing to reduce the impact of rim rash. (Rimskins Australia)

If you have been driving a small car all your life, be mindful of the large turning circle of this car.

Body

This car is Novated through SG Fleet. Experience with them was really good and went without a hitch. They also include a ceramic coat and Window tint as part of the package. They used "Tint a Car" in Melbourne. The tint product was ok (it doesn't match the existing colour of the current tint, but it's only visible in direct sunlight.) didn't bother me. Couldn't tell the difference between the before and after ceramic coating. But the car cleans really easily. (i.e. a wet cloth with some dishwashing soap did the job). If you are getting a ceramic coat, you need to clean it fortnightly to maintain the product.

Charging

Tesla recommends once a week charging to 100% on MY. I'm getting my battery down to about 30% before I plug it into a 15Amp socket. Tesla still hasn't updated the firmware on the UMCs. So its still charging at 12Amps (12Amps * 240 volts = 2.88 kW). So it takes about 14 hours (40kw/2.88kw) to get back up to 100%. Park when I get home at 6ish, full tank by 8pm the next morning. No need for wall chargers, or superchargers for me. Once Tesla updates the firmware, it will be less than 12hours.

Good luck to all those that are waiting and I'm really hoping you enjoy the new wheels like I did (am)

Cheers