Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
give these guys a try - Sell My Car - Instant Online Quote - Car Buyers
I ended up going with them, they quoted much more than carsales, they are a lot more thorough though, they actually sent someone out same day to check the car over thoroughly and had a contract ready for me to sign on the spot. The price I got was 28k for a Mazda 3 which was only a few thousand less than I reckon I'd end up with selling privately. Carsales quoted something like 19 or 20 from memory.
Hi Jules22.

I filled out the web form but now I feel they are scammers. They sent an email to me saying they've been trying to contact me but I have no missed phone calls or text (sms) messages. I did a google search and many of the people on ProductReview dot com are totally disappointed. I'm curious - how did they pay you - with a Bank Cheque at the same time you handed over your car? I'd hate getting a company cheque or transfer via PayID as they could simply cancel their cheque or reverse both methods once they have my car and I'd signed paperwork. It does sound quite fishy to me but interested to learn more about your experience.

Last edited:
As an Uber driver I want to sound off regarding this discussion about 23 vs 24 models. The car I've been assigned was made on 27 December so it's still 2023 but just barely. The Model Y is eligible for Uber Premier for 6 years from the production year, which means my car will lose eligibility to Uber's premium service in January 2030 (as opposed to 2031). So my car being 2023 I am losing a whole year of Premier eligibility.

That said, I can't imagine I will still be driving that car in 2030 let alone 2031. As for depreciation, I will drive the wheels off my car, between 30,000 and 50,000 km per year. I will claim most of the depreciation as a tax deduction. I expect to trade it in for a new EV after 3 years which is my loan period.

Obviously my case is different as my car is a money-making resource as opposed to the depreciating liability it is for most of you.

There are 2 other issues which have been brought up around this and that is the eventual introduction in Australia of the Juniper refresh, and also the standardisation of HW4 in new Model Ys.

I am not a fan of the Juniper update at all because as it is I am taking a leap buying a car with no instrument cluster. I am not at all ready to add to that the absence of stalks for indicators and gear changes. As for HW4, on paper the technology is a big leap however firstly it's going to be quite a while before we see Tesla software which fully utilises HW4 capabilities. Until now Shanghai and Berlin GF are producing Model Y with HW3 and it's not clear when they will roll out HW4 across the lineup. By the time HW4 is standard on new cars AND Tesla software catches up, I expect my car to be long gone, traded in for another Tesla or other EV.

Why stress about the nuanced differences between mid-late 2023 and 2024 cars when they're practically twins separated at birth? It's like trying to spot the dissimilarity between identical twins wearing different hats - it's a futile exercise!

This whole calendar year thing is like a never-ending episode of "Waiting for the Next Model Year." If you're determined to snag that calendar year car, mark your calendar with a big red circle for March/April. Otherwise, embrace the zen of car shopping and practice the ancient art of "move-on-ology"! Life's too short to be stuck in a perpetual waiting room with a stack of outdated car brochures.

I wrote a letter of complaint to tesla customer service stating that despite ordering Dec 2nd that I was receiving a model manufactured in September 2023 and others are receiving more recent builds. They called today and said they completely understand where I'm coming from but they won't be doing anything about it as that would be 'acknowledging the issue'. The option provided was to cancel the order if I want
I did the same via SMS last Friday, they also called me and gave the same response.

Reactions: RichY3
Hi Jules22.

I filled out the web form but now I feel they are scammers. They sent an email to me saying they've been trying to contact me but I have no missed phone calls or text (sms) messages. I did a google search and many of the people on ProductReview dot com are totally disappointed. I'm curious - how did they pay you - with a Bank Cheque at the same time you handed over your car? I'd hate getting a company cheque or transfer via PayID as they could simply cancel their cheque or reverse both methods once they have my car and I'd signed paperwork. It does sound quite fishy to me but interested to learn more about your experience.
Hey mate, interesting. They phoned me within 30 minutes of me filling the form out, sent someone out next day to look over the car.

I wasn't ready to give it to them at that point, so we negotiated a price and signed a contract with the condition that I wouldn't hand the car over until I was ready (this was back in early Dec).

When I got the notification that my M3 was here in Aus, I called them back (This would have been Thursday last week) and told them I was ready, they sent someone out same day to do a quick check to see everything was in the same condition and I got paid direct to my bank account next day.

I still have the car at this point, they are sending someone out to pick it up today.

Definitely can't complain about my experience, I definitely have the cash and it was somewhere between what everyone else was offering and what I'd get if I went through the hassle of selling privately, so I'm happy with how it all worked out.

Reactions: Tony Soprano
I wasn't ready to give it to them at that point, so we negotiated a price and signed a contract with the condition that I wouldn't hand the car over until I was ready (this was back in early Dec).
Interesting. I'm also in the ACT and put an inquiry in with them over the weekend, when they called me yesterday they wouldn't entertain the idea of even giving an estimate until I was actually ready to give them the car. They were actually pretty blunt and borderline rude about it too. The whole thing gave me 90s used car salesman vibes, haha.

Good to hear it's worked out for you, though.

Not everyone is getting a 2024 car.
Yeah, the vast majority aren't.

And Tesla reassigning newer cars to those GC people was only ever about that being the fastest way to fill those orders... if keeping the original GC VINs was the fastest way to get people their cars they'd have stuck with that. I don't think GC suvivors being allocated new cars is really a valid complain for people who have ordered since then.

Interesting. I'm also in the ACT and put an inquiry in with them over the weekend, when they called me yesterday they wouldn't entertain the idea of even giving an estimate until I was actually ready to give them the car. They were actually pretty blunt and borderline rude about it too. The whole thing gave me 90s used car salesman vibes, haha.

We were lucky - ordered in mid Oct and I pushed for a valuation on the trade-in by the end of Oct. It was at the time towards the lower range of what I expected but, with the delay, it worked out well

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpeg
    IMG_1283.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 26

wow, mine was exactly the opposite, I was telling them I wouldn't likely be ready to hand the car over till late Dec/early Jan (wishful thinking) so I said it's probably not worth sending someone out right away, lol. They were pretty insistant and wanted to get that contract signed to lock me in right away (which I used to drive the price up)

Reactions: Tony Soprano
Hmmm...
Looks like MC mas moved to Friday night?

Darn it! I wonder if they are unloading during the holiday and on Saturday.