Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian MYLR to get Acceleration Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have to notify your insurer? Is it a vehicle modification?
It's always wise with insurance to err on the side of too much notification. As long as you call them and say "I have bought the Acceleration Boost manufacturer option" or similar then it'll be on record and you'll be safe when you make a claim. Likely they will just note it down, I'd say it's unlikely to affect the premiums. Situation might be different in a few years or so when they have enough data to see if AB is correlated with a difference in number / severity of claims.

do insurance even know it's a thing?
When I got a quote from RACWA (for MYP) one of questions asked if I'd made any performance modifications to the car.

But the real question is, are you increasing the performance or are you removing the artificial limit on the performance that was already there.

The Model Y Road Vehicle Descriptor lists the LR at 378kW (507hp) so I assume that's with the full power unlocked.

1681602593983.png

Still, as cafz said - just let them know to be safe.

Reactions: brend0s
In a previous life I was an underwriter in the Car Insurance industry. Generally modification issues came up at claim time where undisclosed modifications are a breach of your contract. Good insurance companies would pay the claim if they believed the modification did not play a part in causing the claim, then if the modification breached their underwriting guidelines cancel the policy and ask the insured to go elsewhere. Undisclosed legal tint would not cause a claim to be denied but illegally wide wheels and tyres could get a claim refused that was a result of losing control of the vehicle but might be paid if the car was damaged whilst parked. In that case, once the unacceptable modification was known, owner would then be asked to change the wheels or the policy would be cancelled.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Performance modifications would come up, so I would note it, TBH they probably don't care but at least it's there, if nothing else to get the money back in a write off insurance claim. I notified my insurer I have full self drive option fully paid for for that reason.

Reactions: Power Hungry
But the real question is, are you increasing the performance or are you removing the artificial limit on the performance that was already there.
It's really irrelevant what the insured believes. Rather, the insurer assesses the risk based on all the information given to it - including any modifications to the vehicle software or hardware. Whether it affects the insurance premium is a separate issue - as that is an indicator of the pricing of the risk assessment.

However one could also assume that any software update is a vehicle modification.

I think anypaid upgrades which CHANGES vehicle performance or handling characteristics should be disclosed.

Last edited: