Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Braking not working! Be carful...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read this article this morning and it seems a bit worrying.

New tests of automatic braking systems found a worrying flaw — and 2 Tesla models did the worst

"The IIHS said the Tesla Model 3 and Model S were the only two that didn't stop in time and that hit the object."

They also noted that the Model 3 brakes way to often for no reason....I agree!

"The IIHS said it also found the Model 3 was prone to "unnecessary or overly cautious braking."

"While traveling a distance of 180 miles, the car unexpectedly slowed down 12 times — seven times after spotting tree shadows on the road and the others after detecting vehicles traveling toward it in another lane or crossing the road far ahead, the institute said."

I agree 100% with this statement and I experience it daily in the Model 3... the Model S i'm driving now ( model 3 in the shop) is significantly better at braking when needed. Model 3 makes me car sick in traffic and tends to upset drivers behind me who think i'm brake checking them...

Hopefully Elon addresses this issue asap and releases a OTA fix!

Another beat up. Read the manual - AEB is Automatic Emergency Braking designed to lessen the severity of an impact in case of imminent collision; it is NOT designed to stop the car. Whether it should or not is a different issue, but imagine the phantom braking you currently are getting becoming 100x worse if the car will try to stop completely every time it thinks you might have a collision when you plan to swerve anyway. I get false collision alerts not infrequently when I'm negotiating fast moving traffic - if the car suddenly stopped under those circumstances then I WOULD get into a collision because someone behind me would run into me.

Another beat up. Read the manual - AEB is Automatic Emergency Braking designed to lessen the severity of an impact in case of imminent collision; it is NOT designed to stop the car. Whether it should or not is a different issue, but imagine the phantom braking you currently are getting becoming 100x worse if the car will try to stop completely every time it thinks you might have a collision when you plan to swerve anyway. I get false collision alerts not infrequently when I'm negotiating fast moving traffic - if the car suddenly stopped under those circumstances then I WOULD get into a collision because someone behind me would run into me.
Extra point for saying all of that relevant stuff without once using the word "accident." Yay!

It's definitely a tough line to walk, isn't it? Emergency braking must react whenever a crash is imminent, but it can never false trigger. If we had that perfect technology on guns as well, we'd be golden.

Reactions: C141medic
I test drove a Subaru with their latest generation "eyesight" system and it worked great. Thought the Tesla system would of been far better...

I noticed this skittish behavior more since 26.3 was pushed. It was literally jumping at long-cast afternoon shadows over the road.
Well that's annoying and disappointing. That said its seems its a software issue that will be resolved OTA

I also feel like aeb works better with other cars. Can anyone comment on how forward collision warning and AEB work on tesla vs other cars (honda, toyota, subaru,etc).

This may be a complicated answer, so a brief version is perfectly fine!

Thanks