Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto de-fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High is noisy. I don't get this 3 airflow settings that you are supposed to choose from for something that is set on, and therefore should fully be 'Auto'
I have always assumed that by changing the settings you are limiting what the auto is allowed to do. As you say high can be noisy so you can leave it on auto but lower the max fan setting so that it is quieter. The downside being you limit the performance. I don't think putting it on high+auto means it is ALWAYS on high just that the car can use high when it wants to, which, on a short journey in cold or hot weather is probably a lot.

I have always assumed that by changing the settings you are limiting what the auto is allowed to do. As you say high can be noisy so you can leave it on auto but lower the max fan setting so that it is quieter. The downside being you limit the performance. I don't think putting it on high+auto means it is ALWAYS on high just that the car can use high when it wants to, which, on a short journey in cold or hot weather is probably a lot.
Well, even a good couple hours into a drive, switching the 'Auto' between Low, Medium and High definitely has an impact on fan noise, so I don't believe it works like this, but you are right, it would be much better if this was a 'limit' rather than a permanent airflow preference.

Like some have said, now its warmed up a little its not doing it. Its got to be a software problem because this never happened last year. If Tesla want the car to do things automatically, then it also needs to allow us to turn things on/off manually if need be. We can turn it off for the back window if its cleared, so why not auto defogging?

Does anyone feel with defogger on hot air seems to blow slightly on to passenger. I cannot feel any air along the windscreen
You say that you can feel no air coming from the windscreen vents? This is the same as me - whatever combination of buttons I press I cannot make any significant warm air to be directed at the screen - it’s as though the vents don’t work / the flap has been stuck or somesuch. I’ve taken it to Tesla Chester and they didn’t do anything and said it all seemed to be fine but de fogging takes ages as there’s no warm air to the screen. They did say take it in and they’ll have to have it for 2-3 days, which would be a pain. Have you had any luck?

You say that you can feel no air coming from the windscreen vents? This is the same as me - whatever combination of buttons I press I cannot make any significant warm air to be directed at the screen - it’s as though the vents don’t work / the flap has been stuck or somesuch. I’ve taken it to Tesla Chester and they didn’t do anything and said it all seemed to be fine but de fogging takes ages as there’s no warm air to the screen. They did say take it in and they’ll have to have it for 2-3 days, which would be a pain. Have you had any luck?
Need to find a standard test say a sheet of A4 held over the vent so you can compare deflection and thus air flow between the cars that seem to be working and those that are not.

Edit: also have you checked the air intake for leaves etc

Need to find a standard test say a sheet of A4 held over the vent so you can compare deflection and thus air flow between the cars that seem to be working and those that are not.

Edit: also have you checked the air intake for leaves etc
Mine definitely wouldn’t blow a piece of paper away. No leaves and brand new filters. In this cold weather it takes a long time for the windscreen to defrost (on any setting). Shame the windscreen isn’t electrically heated like the rear..

Mine definitely wouldn’t blow a piece of paper away. No leaves and brand new filters. In this cold weather it takes a long time for the windscreen to defrost (on any setting). Shame the windscreen isn’t electrically heated like the rear..

Here’s a photo after defrost has been going for almost 10 mins and it was only just below 0°

Attachments

• IMG_5863.jpeg
    IMG_5863.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
When you have instant heat like you do in an EV, if the demister functioning properly, then a heated front windscreen is a bit of an un-necessary cost and we all know how Tesla feel about those!

Reactions: Alan Boardman
Here’s a photo after defrost has been going for almost 10 mins and it was only just below 0°
I just looked at mine. I agree that on standard defrost the air stream is not very strong though it is quite warm.
We are all used to ICE where heat when it is available is essentially free but it is not available when you first get in the car so the solution to windscreen demisting is to blow as much air on it as possible until the engine warms up. Quantity over quality. Probably does not make sense to do that in an EV.
So demist is low power but warm, which may be enough in many situations but does not waste energy but if you do need more then there is the max defrost option which when you select it in mine appears initially to do nothing but then a sound like a jet engine kicks in which i think is the heat pump going into overdrive and then the temp and volume of air goes up considerably. Can take 30 seconds to kick in though.
does surprise me that you would still have visible ice after 10 minutes. if I get a chance I will check out how long mine takes to defrost tomorrow. forecast here is -1

I just looked at mine. I agree that on standard defrost the air stream is not very strong though it is quite warm.
We are all used to ICE where heat when it is available is essentially free but it is not available when you first get in the car so the solution to windscreen demisting is to blow as much air on it as possible until the engine warms up. Quantity over quality. Probably does not make sense to do that in an EV.
So demist is low power but warm, which may be enough in many situations but does not waste energy but if you do need more then there is the max defrost option which when you select it in mine appears initially to do nothing but then a sound like a jet engine kicks in which i think is the heat pump going into overdrive and then the temp and volume of air goes up considerably. Can take 30 seconds to kick in though.
does surprise me that you would still have visible ice after 10 minutes. if I get a chance I will check out how long mine takes to defrost tomorrow. forecast here is -1
Thanks Jason - that would be interesting. If I put my hand over the vents there’s not really air there at all - it definitely feels like a flap is stuck. I’ve asked for a service…

I keep being surprised about people who want to micro-manage their car's automatic functions for very little or no reward.

The auto-defogging function is yet another example. It has no discernible disadvantage if it runs for a little longer. Warm air that would be blown into the car anyway is blown over the windshield. So what?

I, for one, welcome having an uncomfortably hot face.

Reactions: browellm