Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Defogger - how to turn it off ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed recently since the morning are getting colder that we are getting "Auto Defogging" in the car. I don't remember seeing this last year, and I'm wondering how the hell you turn it off and just have auto aircon?

I've tried googling but can't seem to find a decent reply that helps. There must be a way to tell the system not to "Defog" if its not needed. I haven't asked for the car to do it, and it seems to take ages for the car to turn it off. Plus if you select front windscreen defogging button it just selects normal or max, there is no off...

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated, cheers.

It’s been “a thing” for quite a while. Couple of years at least.
Mine kept coming on spuriously (sometimes half an hour into a drive, with no misting anywhere to be seen) and turned out to be a faulty heat/moisture sensor so if the same thing is happening to you then it might be worth opening a service request.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
It’s been “a thing” for quite a while. Couple of years at least.
Mine kept coming on spuriously (sometimes half an hour into a drive, with no misting anywhere to be seen) and turned out to be a faulty heat/moisture sensor so if the same thing is happening to you then it might be worth opening a service request.
ok thanks for the information. I need to get the air filters replaced anyway, so maybe I can lump it all in together and ask them to check it.

Plus if you select front windscreen defogging button it just selects normal or max, there is no off...
Yes, I am yet to figure out from the display. But if you swipe the screen from bottom up then you can switch off the windscreen defogging button there but it blasts the air and AC at 10, you have to manually change to whatever you are comfy with. It is bit dumb at the moment or I thought I haven’t figured out how to switch off front windscreen defogging from the display. They say if you keep everything on Auto it works fine but I can’t deal with the Auto keeping the fan on 7 or 8.

last year it worked fine, I had no problems with the air con/demisting etc. But this year it seems to just want to keep it on Auto Defogging. At least give us an option to turn it off and run normal air con on auto. Its stupid.

I've logged a service request, to see if its a software problem.

Reactions: Obie
on side note - if I turn off A/C does it mean heat pump will stop working?
I only do short trips so more often than not I'd be in my outdoor clothing when I drive, I'd like to turn it off to save some range.

edit: I mean, if I keep the fan on the air will still circulate and there shouldn't be fog build up, but since I don't need to be heat up it should make sense to turn off the heat pump, which I assume is a huge battery drainer?

on side note - if I turn off A/C does it mean heat pump will stop working?
I only do short trips so more often than not I'd be in my outdoor clothing when I drive, I'd like to turn it off to save some range.

edit: I mean, if I keep the fan on the air will still circulate and there shouldn't be fog build up, but since I don't need to be heat up it should make sense to turn off the heat pump, which I assume is a huge battery drainer?
It's not a huge drain for short trips. ;)

ok thanks for the information. I need to get the air filters replaced anyway, so maybe I can lump it all in together and ask them to check it.
I strongly suspect that auto defogging has a lot do with helping to keep your air filters fresh. Unless the de-fogging is very obviously happening excessively ( it may be appropriate even when there’s no visible misting) it could be a good idea to just let it do its thing.

I strongly suspect that auto defogging has a lot do with helping to keep your air filters fresh. Unless the de-fogging is very obviously happening excessively ( it may be appropriate even when there’s no visible misting) it could be a good idea to just let it do its thing.
How so? I would imagine the ac is on all the time anyway which will help the filters. I interpret defogging as directing air to the windscreen and side windows, but who knows what Tesla means by it.

How so? I would imagine the ac is on all the time anyway which will help the filters. I interpret defogging as directing air to the windscreen and side windows, but who knows what Tesla means by it.
I would presume by applying a combination of moisture removal, air flow and temperature to the areas that are sensed as being too wet/fogged. The faster this happens the better in terms of the air that is sucked through the filters.

I know this is a bit of an old thread but am I the only one who feels like my eyes are being dried out by the super jet blast warm air of absolutely not required auto defogging. It gets massively uncomfortable and distracting.

I have the front and rear defogging buttons docked to my screen so don’t feel I need the car to be so ‘clever’. Indeed it’s more of a safety hazard it seems. When it comes on when I’m driving and I have to open the air controls panel, take it out of auto, reduce the fan speed and adjust the fan direction to just low and mid, thats a load of pressing and glancing just to undo it which could* take attention from the job of driving (*For legal reasons, in case anyone is concerned, I should note that I always pull over in a safe place and do any adjustments that might otherwise cause a distraction!).

I also found that once i have put the car into manual AC, sometimes (maybe all the time?) when I hit the defogging button if i feel like i need to give it a quick blast, it goes back into auto (and autodefog) again and i have to do the same thing again to get it out of auto defogging.

It seems to me it would make sense that i could, by pressing the defogging button for example, cycle it off from auto defogging, even if just for the current trip.

A soft cancel would be very nice, even if we’re not trusted to turn it off completely in settings.

Anyone agree? If so how do you go about making suggestions to them?

I’ve had my temperature and humidity sensor swapped twice.
Bastard autodefogging still comes on spuriously when it’s cold outside.
It’s infuriating but I think I’m giving up and adding this to the list of “reasons why I won’t be buying another Tesla when mine dies in (hopefully) ten years or so”…

Reactions: Pilotpem