Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Defogger - how to turn it off ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my temperature and humidity sensor swapped twice.
Bastard autodefogging still comes on spuriously when it’s cold outside.
It’s infuriating but I think I’m giving up and adding this to the list of “reasons why I won’t be buying another Tesla when mine dies in (hopefully) ten years or so”…
Yeah. These things become infuriating and eat away at you, eh? With this one I think it could be solved if they’d just let us turn it off in settings or by a soft override, as I’d suggested above, just by tapping the defog button to ‘stand it down’

Reactions: ACarneiro
I think It probably is working as the manufacturer intended, it’s just that I think the software could be tweaked to give an override. I’ll raise an SR maybe though just in case.
If it's coming on when it shouldn't or too strongly theft's not working as intended. Either way the only way the devs will find out is if people report the performance as an issue.

I haven't much joy with the auto defogging function either. What does auto defogging actually do and is it the same as the front windscreen de-mister button?

On the odd occasion I do have cause to use it, I get the impression that the front windscreen defogger actually turns off the AC and just increases the fan speed and heat. This seems to make matters worse at least initially, with the windows misting up even more in a cold damp car, so inevitably I have to turn on the AC and set the blower to clear the screen which it seems to do pretty well that way.

Ordinarily, I always have the AC on at fan speed of 2 or 3 as like others I have found that 'auto' defaults to too high a fan speed than seems needed. Although the car is 2.5 years old I have yet to change the filters, but only having done 13k miles assume they should be okay for now?

I've never adjusted the HVAC settings since owning the car. It's been on 20.5C and AUTO and I've never had an issues with fogging.
I changed the filters at 18,000 miles and they were really filthy! I wouldn't use HEPA filters as they probably have too high resistance to a good air flow...

Reactions: init6
I've noticed recently since the morning are getting colder that we are getting "Auto Defogging" in the car. I don't remember seeing this last year, and I'm wondering how the hell you turn it off and just have auto aircon?

I've tried googling but can't seem to find a decent reply that helps. There must be a way to tell the system not to "Defog" if its not needed. I haven't asked for the car to do it, and it seems to take ages for the car to turn it off. Plus if you select front windscreen defogging button it just selects normal or max, there is no off...

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated, cheers.
Like other Tesla "auto" functions, it is designed to be left alone. When I first noticed it, I turned it off once or twice, which involved going into the HVAC screen and pressing the defog toggle button, but I now just leave it alone. It works pretty well in my experience.

A Tesla is not really a good car for a control freak. Go with the flow when you can, it's much more relaxing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Leejmoff and init6
Like other Tesla "auto" functions, it is designed to be left alone. When I first noticed it, I turned it off once or twice, which involved going into the HVAC screen and pressing the defog toggle button, but I now just leave it alone. It works pretty well in my experience.

A Tesla is not really a good car for a control freak. Go with the flow when you can, it's much more relaxing.
More than happy to leave it alone if it works as designed and doesn't cause inconvenience.
Auto Defogging coming on with a pristine windscreen and blowing hot air on my face whilst making my feet cold is not something you'd have to be a "control freak" to want to do something about....

I understand some people want to turn the auto-defogging off, but I don't understand why they want to do that when the system works great, as is... just like the auto steering wheel and seat heaters...
I think maybe you've not been reading the thread properly. For some of us the system really isn't working well and we just wish we could override it.
It's yet another example of that Tesla AI inconsistency (a la Autopilot) where some people seem to have problems and others don't and there seems to be no obvious reason why that should be... :(

(Also I like that we are able to override the Auto Seat Heaters, actually. For me they get a tad too warm on Auto. :D )

Reactions: Pilotpem

I didn't touch it for nearly two years because it worked. Now it doesn't. This winter the De-fogger has been coming on when its not needed, and it stays on for the whole ride. It doesn't work correctly. I want an option to turn it off. Not a hard ask really.