Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto dimming mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please ! Tesla cant seem to answer this question. Where is the sensor that controls the auto dimming feature for the rear view and side mirrors ? they seem to dark at night and even at dusk. My Lexus used to have an on off button on the rear view mirror and functioned from bright lights from cars behind me. The model 3 seems to adjust mirrors based on night or daylight in step with the 3s headlights and flat screen. My windows have light tint and at night is almost impossible to see from side mirrors.

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG
My windows have light tint and at night is almost impossible to see from side mirrors.
Those dimmed side mirrors are difficult to see with even without tinted windows. It would be nice if Tesla provided a UI option to allow owners to disable automatic mirror dimming and, instead, control it manually (as with auto wipers and auto high beam). In the meantime, some people have resorted to unplugging the wires used to dim the mirrors. There are some threads here and You Tube videos showing how this can be done.

Pretty sure the sensor is on the backside (facing windshield) of the rear view mirror. Small hole. Seem to recall a thread on this subject from a while ago. Also recall something in the rear view mirror itself. There were photos posted on the thread. I don’t think you can adjust the dimming and not sure about SvC doing so. It’s one of the issue I and others on here have warned new owners about when getting tint. Tint and cataracts really bad news.

they seem to dark at night and even at dusk

Too dark? Mine aren't dark enough and why I've always hated auto dimming mirrors in any vehicle. If the industry wants to auto dim the side mirrors, I'd good with that. But, I'd rather manually dim the center rearview mirror. Everything doesn't have to be automatic, especially when doing something manually is just as easy, if not easier and faster.

Please ! Tesla cant seem to answer this question. Where is the sensor that controls the auto dimming feature for the rear view and side mirrors ? they seem to dark at night and even at dusk. My Lexus used to have an on off button on the rear view mirror and functioned from bright lights from cars behind me. The model 3 seems to adjust mirrors based on night or daylight in step with the 3s headlights and flat screen. My windows have light tint and at night is almost impossible to see from side mirrors.

I have the same issues. 25% tint all around (which is not light, but certainly NOT that dark) and can't see out of my side mirrors at night because even in reverse they stay dimmed. I'm embarrassed that on occasion I have to put my windows down to park at night (annoying when it's raining) so I can have a chance of seeing something. Tempted to disconnect the dimming functionality.

I was fine with the Model 3 (both sideview and rearview) and had the Tesla rear sun screen and was still ok. No tint.

Model X is ridiculously dark in the rear view mirror. I wanted to run Tesla rear sunscreen but it was literally solid black in the rearview mirror. I’ve seen others complain on the X and even get their rearview mirror changed out by service which did not fix it. My sideview are fine though.

My Chevy Volt had tint automatically put on by the dealer. Not that dark at all. First car I’ve owned with tint and I liked it. But I had to remove it from side windows because I could not safely see out the side view mirrors at night. What a chore removing that stuff. Also terrible backup lights didn’t help which I replaced.

I just wish Tesla actually auto dimmed based on the sensor rather than dimming via the time of day. I drive early in the morning and there are times of the year that the dimming turns off when it is still dark out.

They can't be using time of day because I had it stop dimming at night when I entered a bright tunnel.

it's been a bit of a battle trying to determine what the correct answer is, but i suspect it uses a combination of time of day (when to engage) and if there is a need (how bright is it). so instead of the sensor always being active, it only engages when needed.

i feel like this is true because i've been in dusk situations where the dimming would have been really beneficial and they refused to do so.

I would like to know where the sensor is. I do notice that my screen changes from night to day in the early morning hours and right around dusk. I wonder if it's the same sensor that controls all of the mirrors.
It would be nice if the dimmers could be controlled manually, that way I can change the dimmer when I get the monster trucks with their brights on behind me.