Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights with wipers function deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 9.43.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 9.43.47 AM.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 85
It can and should be an option we can select or unselect, i.e. "turn on headlights if windshield wipers are running?" Those who want it can choose it. To each his own.

Why would you not want this? Is there a car manufacture other than Tesla where the auto-headlights don't come on with the wipers?

Auto-headlights is already an option so if you don't like how the auto headlights work then you simply turn it off.

Reactions: Msjulie
Why would you not want this? Is there a car manufacture other than Tesla where the auto-headlights don't come on with the wipers?

Auto-headlights is already an option so if you don't like how the auto headlights work then you simply turn it off.
The headlight may come on due to reduced light in heavy rain. They may not necessarily tied to the wipers.

Reactions: fholbert

Never had a car that did that and it's not required in Canada. We already have running daylight, which beats lights on only while raining.

We just received the 2023.20.7
We drove in rain rhe other day with AP on
Great news the wipers correctly sensed the amount of rain and adjusted the speed
Speed seems a lot more variable then the controls show, more custom
They did not go on when there was no rain, meaning AP and raining and then AP and no rain, an earlier release had wipers running and no rain
So I’m happy
Slight bad, you cannot turn off the wipers when using AP, this makes sense to ensure AP can detect the road and operate correctly

In short, auto wipers seems to be fixed with this release of code

We already have running daylight, which beats lights on only while raining.

From purely a safety perspective with regard to visibility, unfortunately, DRLs only resolve part of the problem with rain induced obscuration. DRLs only illuminate the front of your vehicle while the tail is unlit.

Turning on regular headlights in the rain also illuminates your taillights which helps those behind you avoid tailgating in reduced visibility.

The headlight may come on due to reduced light in heavy rain. They may not necessarily tied to the wipers.

In my Jeep I know the autolights are tied to both
In my Sprinter I know the autolights are tied to both
In my Rivian the autolights are tied to both
Tesla is now reimplementing the wipers connection with no explanation of why it was ever removed in the first place.

I honestly don't know of any manufacture that doesn't have them tied to both. There might be, but I don't know of any.

Reactions: skygraff
From purely a safety perspective with regard to visibility, unfortunately, DRLs only resolve part of the problem with rain induced obscuration. DRLs only illuminate the front of your vehicle while the tail is unlit.

Turning on regular headlights in the rain also illuminates your taillights which helps those behind you avoid tailgating in reduced visibility.
Well, I've never been in a situation where the rain was so strong that I couldn't see the vehicle in front of me (unlike fog). If someone wants to tailgate, lights are not going to deter them. Beside, in heavy snow and fog, headlights make the matter worse by illuminating the snow/fog in front of you. Those driving in a snow storm know what I mean.

Well, I've never been in a situation where the rain was so strong that I couldn't see the vehicle in front of me (unlike fog). If someone wants to tailgate, lights are not going to deter them. Beside, in heavy snow and fog, headlights make the matter worse by illuminating the snow/fog in front of you. Those driving in a snow storm know what I mean.

You are lucky. These laws, like most traffic related laws, are likely born from several instances of those who were unlucky.

Driving rain can severely obscure visibility and, at the same time, drastically extend braking distance. Unfortunately, average drivers are unlikely to reduce speed and widen their following distance accordingly but, instead, will often start squinting and searching for a leader they can follow. Good drivers will both slow and turn on their hazards but, at the very least, turning on taillights will automatically lengthen the distance from which a following driver can pick them out and, as a consequence, give that following driver a touch of confidence to back off as well as a bit more warning the leader is slowing than would be available from application of brakes.

Even light rain, like fog banks, can become suddenly more dense so, where it is the law, needing to turn on wipers is generally the point at which visibility is deemed to be compromised.

We just received the 2023.20.7
We drove in rain rhe other day with AP on
Great news the wipers correctly sensed the amount of rain and adjusted the speed
Speed seems a lot more variable then the controls show, more custom
They did not go on when there was no rain, meaning AP and raining and then AP and no rain, an earlier release had wipers running and no rain
So I’m happy
Slight bad, you cannot turn off the wipers when using AP, this makes sense to ensure AP can detect the road and operate correctly

In short, auto wipers seems to be fixed with this release of code

On the 4th I was driving in bright sun with a clean windshield and the wipers went into intermittent mode. After about 10 swipes I figured they were never going to stop so manually turned them off. Wish I could say this was an unusual occurrence but it seems to happen every few weeks. Fingers crossed the new SW update will also address this problem.

Meh. What you should be saying is that what is really needed is a rear fog lamp.