Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following my wife home, she parks on the driveway & opens the garage using her remote in her ICE, I arrive ~30 seconds later driving the S, seeing the garage already up I don't stop on the driveway & proceeds to park into the garage when the door automatically starts coming down 2 feet before entering, the sensors would have stopped the door (I hope) but GPS & the car knowing my direction of travel should have never sent the close signal.

I think you're expecting this system to be a lot smarter than it is. It's an on/off stateless affair, which is why they include the cancel button. I had the same concern once when my wife had the car and I left the garage door open. She noticed it coming down before pulling in, thankfully. I think it'll just take a little adaptation. I don't see them making the algorithm a whole lot smarter, though.

I think you're expecting this system to be a lot smarter than it is. It's an on/off stateless affair, which is why they include the cancel button. I had the same concern once when my wife had the car and I left the garage door open. She noticed it coming down before pulling in, thankfully. I think it'll just take a little adaptation. I don't see them making the algorithm a whole lot smarter, though.
Exactly - this isn't an Auto Homelink issue, it is an issue caused by the people using the system. This is an inherent shortcoming of something like Homelink that only appears to have a "Toggle Door" command. It would be much better if Homelink had a "Door Open" and "Door Close" commands - then you wouldn't close when trying to open and vice-versa.

edit - Actually I would say that Auto Open and Auto Close are really misnomers. What we have is "Auto Toggle when departing" and "Auto Toggle when arriving".

Last edited:
Exactly - this isn't an Auto Homelink issue, it is an issue caused by the people using the system. This is an inherent shortcoming of something like Homelink that only appears to have a "Toggle Door" command. It would be much better if Homelink had a "Door Open" and "Door Close" commands - then you wouldn't close when trying to open and vice-versa.

edit - Actually I would say that Auto Open and Auto Close are really misnomers. What we have is "Auto Toggle when departing" and "Auto Toggle when arriving".
Are there garage door opening/closing systems that have separate controls or signals for opening and for closing? I know that mine does not: I have only a single button on the garage wall, and the associated remote control has only a single button: either button opens the door if it's closed, closes it if it's open, or stops it and toggles it if it's moving. So at least in my case having only a "Toggle Door" command is a limitation of my garage door control mechanism.

Are there garage door opening/closing systems that have separate controls or signals for opening and for closing? I know that mine does not: I have only a single button on the garage wall, and the associated remote control has only a single button: either button opens the door if it's closed, closes it if it's open, or stops it and toggles it if it's moving. So at least in my case having only a "Toggle Door" command is a limitation of my garage door control mechanism.

Correct, this is not something that's supported widely, if at all. Tesla's solution is pretty decent, despite what people say. Sure, it could be improved, but for something like my gate, which auto-closes anyway, it works perfectly.

The way I deal with my garage door control with home automation is by using a tilt sensor on the door itself, and a relay tied to the controller. The tilt sensor tells me whether the door is open or closed, and I can operate the relay based on that information. Homelink doesn't have that information, so if I want the Tesla auto-open software to be smarter, I'll have to manage it myself. One solution would be to train my car's Homelink with another RF device (not the garage door). That RF device would then send a signal to my home automation system, which would open or close the door based on the current state and any other variables I have set.

I'm one of the ones that have had zero luck with auto-close (auto-open always works). No matter what I did I never saw auto-close, so I'd given up.

Today I got in the car and for the first time ever auto-close popped up!

I haven't done anything to explain why it suddenly worked, so my conclusion is that auto-close is buggy and I'll expect a better working version in time.

The openers are finally getting smart.

My Chamberlain still has basically 'toggle the door' controls, but also has an app that is aware of the status of the door. I now can ask Siri if the doors are open and get a correct response. We just need to be able to start using the capability and not relying on HomeLink.

If Tesla would spend a little effort on voice control, we could be able to say "toggle left door" (or instead of being fanatical about hard buttons, just give us a couple of buttons to use or allow us to use the scroll wheels when there is a menu popup).

My Chamberlain still has basically 'toggle the door' controls, but also has an app that is aware of the status of the door. I now can ask Siri if the doors are open and get a correct response. We just need to be able to start using the capability and not relying on HomeLink.
Exactly - the door opener itself would know if the door is open or closed.

I'm one of the ones that have had zero luck with auto-close (auto-open always works). No matter what I did I never saw auto-close, so I'd given up.

Today I got in the car and for the first time ever auto-close popped up!

I haven't done anything to explain why it suddenly worked, so my conclusion is that auto-close is buggy and I'll expect a better working version in time.
just like AS, the auto-close needs some home schooling.

I don't see how that's possible since auto open/auto close is a new feature with 7.1.

Remember 7. Whatever came out with auto open close and auto steer, during that upgrade auto open close worked for me.

Then they did the minor upgrade that " tuned" autopilot and limited speeds on side roads. During that upgrade I lost auto close

my auto open and close worked when 7.0 came out...but then with the recent update, auto close doesn't trigger at all unless I use summon.

I don't see how that's possible since auto open/auto close is a new feature with 7.1.

Remember 7. Whatever came out with auto open close and auto steer, during that upgrade auto open close worked for me.

Then they did the minor upgrade that " tuned" autopilot and limited speeds on side roads. During that upgrade I lost auto close

Except that's not what happened. At least not for anyone else that has reported here. If you had auto-open and auto-close before version 7.1.2.9.154 of the firmware, you would be the first person reporting that here.

Except that's not what happened. At least not for anyone else that has reported here. If you had auto-open and auto-close before version 7.1.2.9.154 of the firmware, you would be the first person reporting that here.

Sorry, I am not being clear...but I had the update to 7.1 and had auto open and close...then got notified for another update (and I think I was mistaken that it was for the speed limitations)...but I DID get another update so now I am on 7.1 (2.9.172).

So I know what you guys are saying but since this release, I have been notified to update twice.

Sorry, I am not being clear...but I had the update to 7.1 and had auto open and close...then got notified for another update (and I think I was mistaken that it was for the speed limitations)...but I DID get another update so now I am on 7.1 (2.9.172).

So I know what you guys are saying but since this release, I have been notified to update twice.
Please tell us what is the new stuff based on the release notes after you installed it.

Please tell us what is the new stuff based on the release notes after you installed it.

umm not sure what you are asking. In the 7.1 thread there is a firmware tracker
but I didn't look at the release notes in detail between the updates.

Like I mentioned I received notifications to do two updates...both the 7.1. Auto open close worked...then the second updates. Close doesn't work.

LOL I don't know why people are getting on my back so much. It's a first word problem and I am not complaining. Like I stated it was weird that it is no longer working for me and I retried my opener learning, driving away and back to reset the location.