Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My garage door opened all by itself last night, and [maybe not so] coincidentally my Model S was not sleeping. Garage never opened itself in the 10 years I've lived here. I think the car did it. Now I don't trust that it won't do it again!!!!
Did you discus anything you might do to your vehicle in view of its cameras? Over 50 years ago, Dave was the first to make this mistake when he overlooked his vehicle's undocumented lip-reading feature:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla did just landed a high level hire from Apple who designed Apple's A-series of processors, so maybe Skynet is around the corner.

My Tesla is alive!

- - - Updated - - -

Uncheck the auto-open/auto-close and stop using it for now, or at least until you can confirm.

OMG great idea. Stupid me, I latched the garage door. Sometimes I scratch my head why I do the things that I do.

My garage door opened all by itself last night, and [maybe not so] coincidentally my Model S was not sleeping. Garage never opened itself in the 10 years I've lived here. I think the car did it. Now I don't trust that it won't do it again!!!!

Do you have any sensors on the door to figure out when it opened? Or did you hear it open? I have sensors and get alerted if the doors open during the evening hours. It's good peace of mind, and nice to know when I'm away from the house that they're still closed as well.

A little over a week ago I arrived at our Syracuse house to find the garage door open. My wife had been there last with the Model S a few days before. Our best guess is that auto-close worked, and she had made sure to watch the garage door close, but then she had circled back to pick up mail, forgetting that now that we had auto-open, the garage door would open on its own. So the door had apparently been open for a few days.

I decided to order one of the following. Installation was quite simple:

Chamberlain CIGCWC Internet/Smartphone Connectivity Kit for Chamberlain Garage Door Openers - Myq - Amazon.com

chamberlain.jpg

Cost was under $80.

You plug the Gateway into your wireless router and replace your garage door opener wall remote with the My Q wall remote, download the app, follow the instructions, and you're all set. You can open and close your garage door from your phone, and more importantly you can monitor its status and get alerts. I now have things set such that if the door remains open for more than ten minutes at a time I'll get both an alert on my phone and an email message.

I think it was $80 and 15 minutes well-spent.

I tried every way i can think of to reactive auto-close. It had been working and i did something that broke the synchronization. I even deleted the configuration and reprogrammed it again to no evail.

One thing i have not tried is to open the door with the wall switch before entering the car.

BTW, I have the myQ gateway and it works great. It has many uses, including letting the cleaning lady in when you are away, not having to go check the door before going to bed etc...

I have found that the only way I can consistently get auto close to work is to either:

1)manually open the door before I back out

or

2) use the HomeLink Icon on the Tesla 17" screen BEFORE I press on the brake pedal and turn the car on.

Once I have done either of those it never fails to auto close upon leaving the garage and to open for me when I return.

It has worked flawlessly for me since I realized that.

Update:

I just tried to manually open the door before I enter the car and that fixed it. I left the garrage and the door auto-closed behind me.

I then re-entered the garrage and closed the door with the touchscreen. I tried opening the door with my phone app (from inside the car), and that broke it. I then fixed it by using the wall switch again. To reach the wall switch, I of course had to leave the car and i also closed the door.

I think that using the Homelink icon on the touchscreen should work as well. It had worked that way for me for a while. Not sure whether doing so before pressing the brake makes a difference. I will confirm tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I got the original version the auto close has only worked one time for me. Strangely it seems to work every time for my wife. I cannot figure how it is different.
Auto open always works flawlessly.

I think it has to do with how you get the door open before you exit the garage. Does she open the door before she enters the car? Do you?

If not, how do you get the door open? before pressing the brake? how does she?

It seems that the software is designed to do a cycle of "close and Open" (in that order).

Once you press on the brake pedal and then open the door with the HomeLink Icon, you have "told" the software that you have "returned home" and are opening the door in order to enter the garage - which isn't what's happening. Before pressing on the brake it doesn't know anything and expects it's first command to be "close".

Once pressing on the brake you have, in effect, reversed the normal "close upon leaving/open upon entering" order. If you use either the manual garage door to open or the HomeLink BEFORE you actuate the car (by pressing on the brake) it still thinks the first thing you want is to "close".... Once you have pressed that brake it knows it is an "opening"....

Kind of confusing, and maybe I am wrong, but it sure seems to explain it for me. As I said, it works great now....

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for my late night unclear post, but if you ask your wife what exactly she do? I will bet that she manually opens the door before she gets in the car and therefore it works!

You can use the green HomeLink Icon at the top of the screen before pressing on the brake, I do it all the time. Just tap on it and the drop down menu will allow you to open the door without messing up the normal order.

Good luck.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The last few posts seem to be touching on stuff that Cyclone and others figured out earlier in the thread. I'll try to spell out what we think we know as it relates to auto-close working and not working.

--For many if the car is turned on before the garage is opened from the homelink screen, autoclose will not work. The way to make sure the car is not turned on before the garage door is opened with homelink is to either open the door with homelink before starting the car (so before stepping on the brake pedal) or simply open the garage door another way.

--For the auto-close to work, when you start the car and put it in reverse to pull out of the garage (or in drive if you have backed in) you will see the auto-close screen with the "skip" option and the countdown distance if autoclose is going to work. If you don't see this, autoclose is not going to work.

--Many think that whether autoclose works or not is connected to GPS, and how quickly the car gets a GPS reading after starting up. If autoclose is not working for you, note whether or not homelink automatically is offering you the option for your garage door (meaning it knows where you are) when you need to manually close it, or whether you have to actually start from scratch, and press the homelink button to bring up the homelink options to manually close the door.

--Try taking an extra 30 seconds or a minute between starting the car and pulling out, to allow more time for the GPS to get a lock.

Great summary, Andy. I'll just note that if the above is necessary, I'm always going to choose manually hitting the Homelink button.. not worth waiting in my garage to bypass that "chore". :)

Thanks.

No argument that waiting on a regular basis just so that auto-close would work makes no sense. I mentioned the waiting for two reasons. One was to help people figure out what's going on. If the 30 second or one minute wait solves the problem, then it almost certainly can be pinpointed to the GPS locking issue. The second reason, though, is if people determine that is what is required, some may be able to simply alter the order in which they do things without actually taking any extra time. We all have some things we routinely do when we get in the car, before we start to drive. For example, I toggle range mode on, reset my trip meter, etc. I think I generally do these things, and then start the car. If I knew that the difference between auto-close working and not working was the difference between me starting the car before doing these things instead of after doing them, I'd just start the car before doing them. No time wasted!

Anyway...just hoping to help more people get auto-close working, as it's working pretty well for me and my wife now.

We both always open the garage using the wall button, well before getting into the car. The only potential difference might be she takes longer to get settled before starting the car, maybe that gives the gps more time - I will try a longer wait before turning the car on, and also between turning on and selecting reverse.
However, usually I see the home link drop down offering the button to control the door - but it simply never has the auto close wording or skip button visible

We both always open the garage using the wall button, well before getting into the car. The only potential difference might be she takes longer to get settled before starting the car, maybe that gives the gps more time - I will try a longer wait before turning the car on, and also between turning on and selecting reverse.
However, usually I see the home link drop down offering the button to control the door - but it simply never has the auto close wording or skip button visible

You could be right on the cusp of the time issue: the GPS hasn't figured out where you are in time to auto-close, (which it needs to be able to do before you even leave the garage) but has by the time you actually get to the point where you'd manually be closing. If I had to place a wager right now, I'd bet that your waiting a little longer solves the problem.

You could be right on the cusp of the time issue: the GPS hasn't figured out where you are in time to auto-close, (which it needs to be able to do before you even leave the garage) but has by the time you actually get to the point where you'd manually be closing. If I had to place a wager right now, I'd bet that your waiting a little longer solves the problem.

I'll take that bet (the usual bet Mortimer?) ;-)

I have have a few now tell me that the instructions I mentioned earlier have unblocked their issue with auto close not working. When combined with ensuring car connectivity remains enabled in power saving this appears to work reliably (so fairer to say this could be GPS related as well). Have @RichardL or @Neptune2000 tried this. I'm more convinced an erroroneous press of the skip option is disabling autoclose implicitly.

I don't believe that GPS is involved.

It knows you are home because you pulled into the garage at an earlier time. Said another way, Auto-open took place so, you are home. This info is saved.

RichardL, you will not see the "Skip" button until after you put the car in D or R.

As PaulR mentioned, i believe it is definitely a software cycle. Break the cycle and you have to go back to the wall switch.

Touching 'Skip' seems to break the cycle. I need to experiment with that a bit more.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, MikeBur's instructions were great.

He mentioned opening garage door from outside the car. I was too stubborn to believe it.

I don't believe that GPS is involved. It knows you are home because you pulled into the garage at an earlier time. Said another way, Auto-open took place so, you are home. This info is saved.
This makes lot of sense. I will just clarify that we believe GPS is not involved in auto-close. The speculation that GPS signal is required for auto-close (which I was earlier led to believe) is not well proven. The wait a while to leave the garage to allow the auto-close to get active could be attributed to the infotainment busy with other process (e.g. scanning your USB, syncing with your phone, getting connected to the mothership, etc.). If you have large USB drive plug-in, try to unplug it before you park the car the night before. Having the always connected ON also helps according to MikeBur (although not required in my S experience).
I do not leave USB plug-in, do not sync my phone, and always connected is OFF, only use wall switch to open garage before leaving and auto-close never fail for me.