Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane Change almost hit car in adjacent lane - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure the intended functionality of automatic lane change is to prevent you from hitting a car. Signaling to change lanes when there is a car in your blind spot will generate an angry response from the other car, whether or not your car allows you to actually change lanes, so I'd prefer if the car relied on me to verify that it's safe before I signal for an automatic lane change. After all, the car is assuming you are not blind.

I'm not sure the intended functionality of automatic lane change is to prevent you from hitting a car.

When all AP1 and AP2 all are developed, perfected and finished:

AP1 will still require an owner to make sure the adjacent lane is clear (manual accident avoidance system due to its lack of rearward cameras) before letting the system to do automatic lane changing.

AP2 has rearward cameras that can see 330 feet which will enable the car to change lane all on its own without a driver's input (active automatic accident avoidance system.)

However, as long as the name "Autopilot" exists (either in airline industry or car), a human operator is responsible to take over at any time when things don't go as planned.

Reactions: wesley888