Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto lange change only works 30% of the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh so this is something new? Does your dashboard show the other lane on the screen? Maybe before, AP would switch lanes even when it did not detect it. Now it starts only if it detects another lane.

I always wonder what prevents the lane-change to an exit ramp?

I have found two circumstances in which the lane change functionality does not seem to work well:
1. Roads that have a significant seam in the concrete between the lanes (i.e. newly laid roads)
2. Roads that have significant sealing of cracks between the lanes

My guess is that the AP software is recognizing a solid line (i.e. the seam between the lanes or the sealant in cracks) and is rejecting a lane change because it views lane changes being restricted due to a solid line between the lanes. This occurs even when there is a clear dash line lane divider. I think the AP software cannot differentiate between these or errs on the side of conservatism.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Todd, which version are you on? I think this got worse after the update to 2.14.66. With 2.13.77 I think it worked better.

I tend to agree with that. I've started to notice Auto Lane Change is working less and less. I think if you have the autopilot on and command lane change, if it's not going to do it, it should display an error message as to what the problem is. I must look like an idiot to others sitting there with m blinker on and not going anywhere.... ;)

I found that it won't work when trying to move into our out of car pool lane with a solid white line.
This is by design, and since the introduction of AP. Being a fellow Washingtonian, I understand this frustration though this is more the issue of WA state carpool lanes being continuous solid lines. In other states this indicates it is unsafe to enter/exit and is consistent with other use of solid line markings imo. Note: the auto lane change does work well on the express / HOT lanes on 405 to enter/exit, as these are dashed lines.
The other thing that is sub-optimal is the abundance of Botts-dots. The recognition of these is getting better, though the algorithm confidence level is less than dashed lines IMO.

Todd, which version are you on? I think this got worse after the update to 2.14.66. With 2.13.77 I think it worked better.
Similar to Todd, mine is working as well on 2.14.66 as previous FW, and in some cases better.

Are you saying yours has become worse with later FW, and by what %age, i.e. You're saying 30% now? Also, have you reported this is email, or your device centre? There have been some issues with camera fogging that might be making it worse.

Btw TACC is radar, line detection is colour camera and we believe combination of color camera and radar for raised dots. It sounds like the radar (actually LIDAR) is working well. I'd get it checked and do a test drive with a technician, or try a loaner to see if it's reproducible. It could well be just sw immaturity.

Would a layer of paint protection film or coating interfere with the sensors needed for the auto lane change logic to work? Everything appears to be working normally to allow the autopilot to maintain it's position in the current lane. Just doesn't want to change lanes for some reason. Going to test it out more today to try and isolate any scenarios that can be duplicated.

Would a layer of paint protection film or coating interfere with the sensors needed for the auto lane change logic to work? Everything appears to be working normally to allow the autopilot to maintain it's position in the current lane. Just doesn't want to change lanes for some reason. Going to test it out more today to try and isolate any scenarios that can be duplicated.

It might, but you wouldn't be the first person to apply it.

1. Have you verified that Auto Lane Change is turned on in the Driver Assistance settings?
2. Have you verified that when you initiate the lane change, the driver's console display is showing the adjacent lane?
3. Have you verified the lane markings are dashed, and have been dashed for at least a second or two before initiating the lane change?
4. Have you verified the adjacent lane is clear?
5. Have you initiated the lane change by clicking the turn signal stalk to the detent, and leaving it engaged until after the car is established in the new lane?
6. Have you tried restarting both the driver's console (hold the top two buttons for about 10 seconds) and the main display (hold both scroll wheels for about 5-10 seconds)?

If you've done all these things and it's still not working, it's time to see Tesla service.

Hi!

AP works geat on my 2016 S90D, but auto lange change very often just does not work at all. I hit the turn signal all the way, but there is no message "please hold the steering wheel" and the lane change does not initiate.

The lane markings are very clear and the highways have only two lanes. It happens on either lane if I want to switch to the other.

What could be the cause of this?

So I thought the same thing the other day when it wasn't working so much for me and I went out to test it again.

This is what the operator's manual says, among other things, it should start to move over if:

"Midway through the lane change, Auto Lane Change can detect the outside lane marking of the target lane."

In my experience yesterday, it won't even START to change lanes unless it can detect the outside lane marking. Based on the outside lane symbology, when present at the beginning, auto lane change worked 100% of the time correctly. When not present, it worked 0% of the time. Never once did it begin to change lanes without it present and then continue, according to the manual, "midway through the lane change"....

I don't know if this is due to a software change or not, just my observations yesterday after repeated attempts. Regardless, now that I know how the current software is functioning, it sure helps my understanding of the system and allows me to know if it's going to move over or not.