Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park Failed - Hit Another Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, just a heads up, auto park failed for me this Wed on my Model 3.

We scratched another car. Long story short, I ordered the paint kit repair on tesla.com and then I emailed their cusotmer support to see if they can at least credit us for the next purchase of the $59 since auto park failed. This is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla.

This does not quality for a credit as the customer is always responsible to control the vehicle while using autopark (or autopilot/summon).

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,"

Pretty lame IMHO

Hey guys, just a heads up, auto park failed for me this Wed on my Model 3.

We scratched another car. Long story short, I ordered the paint kit repair on tesla.com and then I emailed their cusotmer support to see if they can at least credit us for the next purchase of the $59 since auto park failed. This is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla.

This does not quality for a credit as the customer is always responsible to control the vehicle while using autopark (or autopilot/summon).

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,"

Pretty lame IMHO
At least you didn't try auto-pilot, not watch it as per fine print, crash and die.

The response is as expected, why would they award free stuff to anyone not doing their job as a driver as described ?
I mean, autopark isn't really new technology like AutoPilot. The fact that Tesla still has cases of autopark failures is pretty pathetic (it's one of two reasons I don't use it, the other being I prefer to park far away from other cars to prevent door dings). Tesla engineers should review these failures and improve the software accordingly.

I think Tesla should offer a partial autopark in the settings, where the car controls the steering but like other vehicles you still have to use the pedals.

Reactions: KerryOH
I tried autopark once. I couldn't take it... the steering wheel was flailing lock-to-lock(or pretty close) at a speed that was difficult to see, all the while the auto-accelerator was being pressed.
I tried auto parallel park today and the passenger rear tire hit the curb. Thank God it was the tire because the car was at an angle such that the rim couldn’t hit the curb.