Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm having difficulty with using the auto-park features and summon features of my car. I read in the manual if i'm going<10mph, it will look for parallel or perpendicular parking spaces, and an option should appear that will allow the vehicle to park itself. I've not seen this icon come up. Does anyone know how to enable the self-parking features of the vehicle?

Thank you!

Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm in a similar situation, I have seen it offer auto-park a few times, but never in situations where it could actually park there (it once offered to park between cars in the lane next to me at a red light :eek:!)

I don't think this feature is actually ready for use, as it has never found actually valid parking spaces, in the year I've had my model 3. As far as I know there's no settings to tune to fix it, but maybe someone else has some suggestions?

I've used the feature precisely once. It worked fine on that occasion. That said, I rarely see the option pop up on the screen -- in fact, I've only noticed it once (although it may have appeared more than once and I just didn't notice it). The one time I saw it appear, I had just begun a turn to back into a parking spot, and decided to see if the car could do it. I suspect you have to be driving very slowly and/or quite close to the cars between which you want to park before the option will appear.

• Informative
For me it's quite reliable, but you have to be aware of its limitations with detecting a place where it an auto-park, to wit: It can self-park on the left or right side in an empty parallel or perpendicular (but not diagonal) parking spot which has the two spots on either side occupied. The only times I have had to abort an auto-park are when I was a bit jumpier than the car about an approaching pedestrian, and when parking at night and it was reading the lamppost between the spaces as part of the lane line.

Hello,

I'm having difficulty with using the auto-park features and summon features of my car. I read in the manual if i'm going<10mph, it will look for parallel or perpendicular parking spaces, and an option should appear that will allow the vehicle to park itself. I've not seen this icon come up. Does anyone know how to enable the self-parking features of the vehicle?

Thank you!
It's not really perfected yet. Sort of hit and miss. Sometimes detects open spots and sometimes doesn't. Even worse is that you might sometimes see a parking icon when you are at a traffic light when cars around you :rolleyes:

It has worked quite reliably for me. I use it every day to park perpendicular between 2 cars. I drive fairly close to the cars fairly slowly probably < 10mph and go at least as far as the front car before I put into reverse. I have got so comfortable with it now that as soon as I hit the button, I start packing up to get out making sure I don't touch the steering wheel or peddles. It parks so well lined up to the side, I could not do it better. The only adjustment I make sometimes is if the cars around me are not well parked, and I move my car to the middle of the parking bay. My car is sometimes too close to the car in front.

In order to use the feature, in addition to the wonderful advice from @DopeGhoti , If parallel parking you have to both drive closer to the cars than you think you need to, AND drive "past" the spot a bit.

It has to be between 2 cars as mentioned, and will not park in a diagonal space. I have used it a few times to back into a spot. The thing is, when it backs into a spot, it always backs very close to the door of one of the cars on the side. It does a 3 point back in park. If you back in a lot, you can probably do it in 1 swoop, while the car backs really close to one car, then pulls forward then backs in.

• Informative