Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto profile selection chooses incorrectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So interestingly, this has started working perfectly for me. As of 2020.40.9 (I think). Will keep an eye on it and let you know, but it seems that it now honors the "priority device" setting so it's not just used for audio. Will keep investigating and let you know if anything changes.
Have you trued walking to the car with 2 phone keys. One person walking to the driver door and one walking to the passenger door? In the UK the passenger door would always be the priority profile. I haven’t tested with 40.9 but prior to that the issue was 100% reproducible.

So interestingly, this has started working perfectly for me. As of 2020.40.9 (I think). Will keep an eye on it and let you know, but it seems that it now honors the "priority device" setting so it's not just used for audio. Will keep investigating and let you know if anything changes.
I'm not sure if I want this to be true. I actually want my wife's phone to be the *audio* priority device when I'm driving...

Just had the following message from Tesla....

Good afternoon, our Technicians' remote diagnosis found that the signal from the drivers side bluetooth antenna is not as expected, please note this antenna is only for phone as key use and has no infotainment functionality. We expect that this is the cause of the concern so have requested that it is replaced. As you have a secondary owner/driver of the vehicle for future mobile app functionality it is preferred that each driver have their own My Tesla account and additional app access. This will help to prevent any complication that may arise by using the same login information on multiple devices. Please request this by emailing [email protected]. We've placed the parts on order and they should arrive in time for your booking, but if there are any problems we will let you know if anything gets delayed.
Thank you, Tesla Mobile Service
NB: All warranty concerns are subject to onsite inspection to determine validity

If they're suggesting that having a second account for the second driver will solve the problem, it doesn't. My partner and I both have our own accounts (with mine being the master account) and it will always pick the phone on the left of the car for selecting a profile.

Tesla have been to mine to fix this issue. For some reason they changed a driver’s door camera. Needless to say the incorrect profile selection bug is still evident. I could reproduce the issue 100% of the time with Tesla here.

They are continuing their investigations.

I am convinced it’s a Tesla software bug.