Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto shift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autoshift is only a convenience when starting a drive. You can still choose the gear manually from the screen or the center console buttons (under the wireless chargers). I find it guesses wrong in parking lots most often, but it's 100% when leaving my garage.
Same. Works perfectly in my garage. It has no clue most of the time when I’m out and about.

Reactions: kazamm
Autoshift is only a convenience when starting a drive. You can still choose the gear manually from the screen or the center console buttons (under the wireless chargers). I find it guesses wrong in parking lots most often, but it's 100% when leaving my garage.
Interesting. In what case did you find wrong in parking lots? I have seen it guess D-gear when it head-in a no-curb parking space without a car parking on the front spot. Maybe it thinks there is an open road ahead? Even if, later on, another car parked in the front space, the auto-shift still chose D-gear. That is a wrong guess. Also, even if it seems 100% right when leaving the garage. What if it guesses wrong, and we are so used to100% and just hit the accelerator w/o even watching the display. We should always remind ourselves to confirm the gear before hitting the accelerator.

Tesla is a master at providing complex solutions for non-existent problems and this is an excellent example.
I think Auto-Shift may be a significant function toward the fully autonomous drive. Imagine when we do parallel parking on the street side and there are cars in front and at the back. The car should automatically shift the gears, depending on the front and backspacing. So, all you need is to seat in the car and the car will automatically come out of the parking space. In the current reality, the Plaid auto-shift will select D-gear no matter how far or near to the vehicle in front of you or from your back. It is a safer guess but not always correct as the plaid may need to move backward initially to create enough space to drive out of the parallel parking space on the side of street.

I find it convenient. Works most of the time but as previously discussed you have to pay attention.
I like it!
Yes, so far it is correct for most of the time and also, in most cases, it will select D-gear. When I try to park in the middle of the lane and wait for a traffic light, It may detect you are on a road and always apply D-gear and seems no matter on day time or night time. I expected Tesla software update (this time is at v10.2) will continue to improve it. Hopefully, in the future, it can auto-shift from D to R or from R to D dynamically. This will be particularly helpful for cars parked in a tight parallel parking spot.

When Tesla announced this I gawked and thought it is another gimmick and pretty much kept it disabled.

Since I am already paying for it and just like all other Tesla gimmicks I thought I would give it a try so enabled it a few weeks ago.

And I got to say this is probably the first gimmick of Tesla that I actually love and have started using it as my default option. I have been using it regularly and it nails the driving direction right almost all the time. Mainly for my driveway and work but it has been very reliable in parking lots as well.

It also helps that it only works if you are buckled in and press the brakes and the direction flashes in blue, makes getting used to this feature very intuitive.

When Tesla announced this I gawked and thought it is another gimmick and pretty much kept it disabled.

Since I am already paying for it and just like all other Tesla gimmicks I thought I would give it a try so enabled it a few weeks ago.

And I got to say this is probably the first gimmick of Tesla that I actually love and have started using it as my default option. I have been using it regularly and it nails the driving direction right almost all the time. Mainly for my driveway and work but it has been very reliable in parking lots as well.

It also helps that it only works if you are buckled in and press the brakes and the direction flashes in blue, makes getting used to this feature very intuitive.
It only works most of the time because I’m guessing most of the time you just need to move forward and there’s no obstacles. Today I was parked about 3 inches from a wall and it wanted to travel forwards. Like, wut?!

Reactions: Art VandeIay
It only works most of the time because I’m guessing most of the time you just need to move forward and there’s no obstacles. Today I was parked about 3 inches from a wall and it wanted to travel forwards. Like, wut?!
I must have had better luck than you I guess.

I have been able to reverse and move forward with auto-shift. Most of the time I move forward from my garage, but there are days I have to back out of my driveway with the car facing my garage, and it shifts into the correct direction.