Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Steer (AS) and Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol no, don't try it you will crash

TACC only pertains to setting the speed while maintaining distance to avoid running into the car in front but also restarting to press forward once they get far enough. auto steer keeps you within lanes.

you need TACC to auto steer, but you don't need auto steer for TACC to be on.

Reactions: bpjod
I think you may have misinterpreted the question. I believe OP is asking whether you need to separately engage TACC and autosteer to get speed control and steering. Control.

Two pushes is sufficient to engage autosteer which controls both speed and steering.

You don't need to do three pushes to engage both.

Are you sure about two pushes engages both? The manual says one push for TACC and two pushes for Autosteer. That is just the way I have always done it. In fact, I prefer one at a time.

To be perfectly clear you cannot engage Autosteer without engaging TACC.

It is like this; one press down engages Autosteer while two presses down engages Autosteer which includes TACC. And by the way, not to confuse anybody but Autosteer has been and continues to be understood to be called Autopilot.

I think of it like this: Autopilot is composed of two distinct components 1) TACC and 2) Autosteer and to be perfectly clear again you cannot engage Autosteer without TACC.

Are you sure about two pushes engages both? The manual says one push for TACC and two pushes for Autosteer. That is just the way I have always done it. In fact, I prefer one at a time.

Yep, 100% certain.

Note also that if you override Autosteer (once engaged) by applying force on the steering wheel, it will disengage the steering control, but keep speed control (TACC) engaged.

Reactions: jdcollins5
To be perfectly clear you cannot engage Autosteer without engaging TACC.

It is like this; one press down engages Autosteer while two presses down engages Autosteer which includes TACC. And by the way, not to confuse anybody but Autosteer has been and continues to be understood to be called Autopilot.

I think of it like this: Autopilot is composed of two distinct components 1) TACC and 2) Autosteer and to be perfectly clear again you cannot engage Autosteer without TACC.

The above is backwards.

Pressing down once engages TACC without Autosteer.

Whether or not TACC is engaged, pressing down twice engages both TACC and Autosteer. (TACC is always on if Autosteer is on, but TACC can be on without Autosteer being on.)

Tapping the brake pedal disengages both TACC and Autosteer.

Pressing up disengages both TACC and Autosteer.

Tugging hard on the steering wheel disengages Autosteer but leaves TACC engaged.

There is no need to engage TACC separately before engaging Autosteer, but there is no reason not to do so if you are more comfortable that way. Eventually you will be comfortable engaging both together. It took me a long time to get comfortable with Autosteer. Now I love it. And with v9 it's even better.

Yep, 100% certain.

Note also that if you override Autosteer (once engaged) by applying force on the steering wheel, it will disengage the steering control, but keep speed control (TACC) engaged.

The above is backwards.

Pressing down once engages TACC without Autosteer.

Whether or not TACC is engaged, pressing down twice engages both TACC and Autosteer. (TACC is always on if Autosteer is on, but TACC can be on without Autosteer being on.)

Tapping the brake pedal disengages both TACC and Autosteer.

Pressing up disengages both TACC and Autosteer.

Tugging hard on the steering wheel disengages Autosteer but leaves TACC engaged.

There is no need to engage TACC separately before engaging Autosteer, but there is no reason not to do so if you are more comfortable that way. Eventually you will be comfortable engaging both together. It took me a long time to get comfortable with Autosteer. Now I love it. And with v9 it's even better.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the two presses to engage TACC and Autosteer on a return trip today. It worked as you said. I will probably use this most of the time now when I have the proper highways with valid lane lines.