Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto wipers activating when sun shining directly on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always leave my wipers on auto and this issue started ocurring in the past few weeks. I notice that it tends to occur around sunset when I am driving home from work and the sun is directly in front of me. I guess the front windshield cameras think it is blocked by water rather than the sun so it is turning it on, and I am not getting the normal notification that the cameras are blinded/obstructed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Dbergeeke
I have had a very few instances (I'm guessing less than 5 times in over 2 years of driving) where the auto wipers get activated for seemingly no reason. Usually swipe once or twice and then stop. I'm sure it is related to your issue, where light hitting the camera housing in just the right way makes the system thinks it sees water droplets. Just another symptom of not having a normal rain sensor.

In the list of Tesla grievances, this ranks very low down the list for me though.

Happened a few times... not sure if it was blocked by the sun but it was a clear sunny day.
made me think someone spit on my windshield but it was still so clean it just didnt make sense.

i've turned off auto wipers and the problem is gone.
now if i can just keep my fingers from hitting the wiper button while blinking, that'd be great.

My drive to work on a very clear and sunny morning today turned on my wipers on full blast. I had to turn off cruise control to be able to turn off the wipers. It was crazy! I have to assume driving into the sunrise (already high enough in the sky that I could put the visor up) is what was doing it.