Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I'm going to need it against a super tough ASP field.

No issues fitting the 295/30R18's, just need to run a 5mm spacer in the front, spacers on the rear are optional.
Thanks again for the offer. This may work perfect as long as the Hypergram inner diameter clears 365mm MPP brakes. Anyone every try that? The MPP rotors and LR AWD rotors will already push the wheel out another 5mm without a spacer. I know other people have fit 295s, but being a 25.3" overall diameter probably helps too.

I have full XPEL stealth wrap and ceramic. Cones don't move cause it's so slick!
Ahh, that's where that matte sheen comes from. Looks great, man.

Everything in front of the doors is wrapped in XPEL and then the bottoms of my doors, rockers and right behind the rear tires are wrapped as well. I have lots of cone transfers to the film that just peel off. Someone also wrecked an electric scooter into my rocker in the pits at an event and left a nice mark in the ppf but no damage to the actual car.
I like this. I like this a lot. I hope you don't mind more questions. I assume by "bottoms of doors" you mean up to the height of the cones, about top of tire? How much of the rear quarter panel / bumper did you do? Finally, how's it look when standing next to your car - can you see the edge of the ppf?

Hey folks, as I wait for my Model 3 to come in, I'm researching PPF and ceramic coating... what have you guys decided to do to protect your paint? I've always autocrossed old cars and never really cared how they looked, but I don't want this new car wearing cone marks like its predecessors, lol.
I've got so many cone marks that might buff out but definitely don't wash off fully. finally something that won't buff out so I can get fenders and proper big tires! ... anything staring with less than a 3 is weak I've been told. I'm thinking 335 square ...rear might need a hacksaw tho
Thanks again for the offer. This may work perfect as long as the Hypergram inner diameter clears 365mm MPP brakes. Anyone every try that? The MPP rotors and LR AWD rotors will already push the wheel out another 5mm without a spacer. I know other people have fit 295s, but being a 25.3" overall diameter probably helps too.
the 295 A7 works great on those with P-/AWD. I only got the small MPP rotors I think MPP would know if the Hypergrams fit the 365 @MountainPass

any talk of Hoosiers shouldn't be in EVX/SS ? 🙃
AO52 295?

Reactions: superflyrolla
Ahh, that's where that matte sheen comes from. Looks great, man.

I like this. I like this a lot. I hope you don't mind more questions. I assume by "bottoms of doors" you mean up to the height of the cones, about top of tire? How much of the rear quarter panel / bumper did you do? Finally, how's it look when standing next to your car - can you see the edge of the ppf?
Right up to the lower body line on the door... Here's a crude drawing...

The only place you can really see an edge is the rear of the rocker panel where there's not a body line to hide it and the piece on the rear bumper. But really only when it's dirty (which is most of the time)

Copy of Tesla-3.png

Reactions: Lindenwood
any talk of Hoosiers shouldn't be in EVX/SS ? 🙃
AO52 295?
Sorry! Back to the thread topic: 295/30r18 A052's are very similar dimensionally to the 295 Hoosiers, so that's likely what I'll try on my 10.5" wheels. Though, it's a very short tire, so you wouldn't want to drive on them to events unless it's close. The taller 295/35's may not clear the spindle upright.

I almost wish there was a line in the EVX rules that required a minimum tire diameter, to fend off temptation to make the cars less streetable.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I am going to go with A052's next season but I am going to wait - There are still rumors floating around of a new Bridgestone that may come out (though it has been a while since hearing those rumors). My hypergrams just arrived and I'm going to finish the season out with some lightly used 275 Falkens it looks like. Can't wait to get more rubber on there!

Reactions: M3Pdude
Think I'm still going 660 unless there's a new Bridgestone in time.

I drive an hour each way to my events and run 10-11 per year depending on how the schedule shakes out. RE71R's easily accommodate this, don't think the Yoko's would.

Someone suggested maybe running Rivals since they take heat better but I haven't seen many running them on this car.

Think I'm still going 660 unless there's a new Bridgestone in time.

I drive an hour each way to my events and run 10-11 per year depending on how the schedule shakes out. RE71R's easily accommodate this, don't think the Yoko's would.

Someone suggested maybe running Rivals since they take heat better but I haven't seen many running them on this car.
Have you been able to find rivals in the right size? I had considered those as well (I've had some experience on them - they are sticky gumballs but felt they had less "feel" than Bridgestones)

There's a 275/35/19 Rival which would work.

Can confirm they do work HOWEVER with stock suspension and stock offset they will clearance themselves on the radius of the knuckle unlike my SUR4G's. Like I said they are self clearancing so its not to worry but figured I should shed some light on that with first hand experience. They do take the heat pretty well, I'd say better than my SUR4G's. I haven't crunched any data to say if I'm pulling more G's with the Rivals vs SUR4G and they were never back to back soooo otherwise I don't feel I have the experience to comment otherwise. I just go out there and send it and have a good time.

The RT660s don't come in 275/40-18. I am thinking of the replacing the 275/40-18 A052s with 275/35-18 RT660s when the time comes. These would be about an inch less overall diameter than stock. Would this be a problem? Just using them for autox.

Nice
There's a 275/35/19 Rival which would work.

The RT660s don't come in 275/40-18. I am thinking of the replacing the 275/40-18 A052s with 275/35-18 RT660s when the time comes. These would be about an inch less overall diameter than stock. Would this be a problem? Just using them for autox.
Happy to tell you I just installed my 275/35/18's and drove around a few miles doing some moderate dynamic driving. There were no issues or anything. One other thing I'll add is there are some people running Hoosiers that are ~ 1 inch smaller in diameter (<25") and I have not heard any of them mention issues. I think we should be good!

Happy to tell you I just installed my 275/35/18's and drove around a few miles doing some moderate dynamic driving. There were no issues or anything. One other thing I'll add is there are some people running Hoosiers that are ~ 1 inch smaller in diameter (<25") and I have not heard any of them mention issues. I think we should be good!
Good news, thank you. This opens up some choices.

What are people liking for the MPP sports coilovers settings when running auto-x? I have mainly used the recommended "low grip, technical track" settings from MPP, but suspect some auto-x specific preferences exist.
I only have one race (it went very well) on my setup and the car was fantastic. I went a little stiffer than the low-grip setting (a couple of clicks), with the front end one or two clicks softer than the rear end. My last race was on asphalt with my 265-width tires. I am going to go stiffer as grip increases. This weekend for example will be asphalt but I have some bigger tires. I'm glad you asked this question - I have planned on posting some settings after I get a couple more races in on different surface types!