Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MPP recommends 2 full turns in when going from full shims to no shims. I’m trying to find a happy medium of slight toe in for street that goes to 0 toe or slight toe out with shims out without adjusting the tie rods. Going to play on the alignment rack tomorrow.
For another data point, going from 8mm shims to no shims for me resulted in 4mm total toe out, and 2 hexes on each side zeroed it back out.

A couple pics and videos from race day!

In the video, you can see I mostly had light understeer with more notable oversteer. The video contains one of my better full runs plus a handful of “bloopers” from the last couple turns that were the most challenging part of the course. In one of the bloopers I had the classic newb reaction to major understeer of turning the wheel harder. In my mind I SWORE I was about to kick the back end out gymkhana-style, but alas…

884454F1-78A2-40A7-959E-677340CDC836.jpeg

5FA535AB-D281-4279-9A36-C252B294C389.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: MasterC17
When I measured it myself, one turn is 5mm of toe on a 19" wheel. You're gonna get 20mm of toe change across both sides. I wish you luck, but I don't think a happy medium is possible.
Yeah, I figured. Just deciding if I want to stay fulltime no shim or go back to swapping. Afraid of messing toe up adjusting back and forth. Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy toe plates
For another data point, going from 8mm shims to no shims for me resulted in 4mm total toe out, and 2 hexes on each side zeroed it back out.
Did you go 8mm so you could stay on short bolts fulltime? And 2 hex is a lot less then the 1 full turn called for in the instructions.

Yeah, I figured. Just deciding if I want to stay fulltime no shim or go back to swapping. Afraid of messing toe up adjusting back and forth. Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy toe plates

Did you go 8mm so you could stay on short bolts fulltime? And 2 hex is a lot less then the 1 full turn called for in the instructions.
Correction: I went 8mm thinking I could balance street wear and track handling. I will probably settle on more like 10mm street and 0mm for track.

Last edited:
@Lindenwood Well, what led you to pick the Comfort kit when you had autox and track days planned?
I have 5700 miles on my M3P in 2 months of ownership from our regular road trips. I knew the family had a limited threshold of discomfort before I started getting complaints, so I erred on the side of what I knew would be better overall (I.e both more comfortable and still provide more control during aggressive maneuvering), even if not as good as it could be from a racing perspective.

That, and @MasterC17 mentioned in the big Road Course modification thread that he only shaved 2 seconds on a >3 mile track going from stock suspension to Coilovers. I figure if I could even split that difference I would be doing fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
I have 5700 miles on my M3P in 2 months of ownership from our regular road trips. I knew the family had a limited threshold of discomfort before I started getting complaints, so I erred on the side of what I knew would be better overall (I.e both more comfortable and still provide more control during aggressive maneuvering), even if not as good as it could be from a racing perspective.

That, and @MasterC17 mentioned in the big Road Course modification thread that he only 2 seconds on a >3 mile track going from stock suspension to Coilovers. I figure if I could split that difference I would be doing fine.
Okay, I think you'll be fine. :) My best guess is your family actually would've been fine with the Sport kit too on the medium-to-softer damper settings, but surely the Comfort kit is more comfortable still and keeping the family happy with a shared family car is critical! Don't go too race car on a family car.

As a reference point, with my Redwood Öhlins "Performance Sport" kit - which I am guessing has similar spring rates as MPP's Sport kit - my wife really likes how it drives on a medium damper setting. After her first long drive with it, about 150 miles including lots of rural roads, twisties, good and bad pavement, etc she called it "smoother than [our Model S]." The complaints about me wasting time installing the suspension stopped after that first good drive with it. ;)

With the dampers cranked up stiffer and riding as a passenger on extra rough city roads she was not so happy, but that's what adjustable dampers are for! 😃 They make a real, useful difference as you've experienced. Before experiencing them I assumed I'd find one setting I liked and never adjust them again for street use, but actually I adjust them regularly depending on mood, who's driving, and who's going to be a passenger. Keeps the experience fresh and suited to whoever will be in the car.

So I think what I'm saying is you'll be happy with the Comforts, but if opportunity arises to swap for a Sport kit for a price that works for you, I think you should do it. (Assuming you're still doing autox or track days.)

Reactions: Lindenwood

That, and @MasterC17 mentioned in the big Road Course modification thread that he only shaved 2 seconds on a >3 mile track going from stock suspension to Coilovers. I figure if I could even split that difference I would be doing fine.

Both the Sports and Comfort kit are going to be huge improvements over the stock suspension. You will see a much bigger difference in your times by improving your driving versus changing from the Comfort Kit to the Sport Kit. IMO, keep rocking the Comfort Kit! :)

Car looks great by the way, glad you are enjoying it!

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
You could probably get sways F&R that would help during autox/track, but not impact(hurt) ride quality much on the street. All depends on the cost:benefit ratio.
I just snagged a lightly used UP rear bar to use with my factory performance front.

The UP bar specs lean a little stiffer than I would have otherwise wanted (~280+% stiffer than stock versus 9-27% stiffer than stock). Still, I am hoping I can avoid major drawbacks with careful tweaking of rear compression (perhaps a little lower) and rebound (perhaps a little higher), plus maybe playing with tire pressures and then camber.

I am not bothered by my body roll, but it is certainly there and this may help a hair as well.
2E88761D-DFE1-4C46-8C35-15BBD8738237.jpeg