Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have those whiteline bushings. Not sure I feel much of a change compared to rotated OEM ones with MPP inserts in them I had on my prior setup. Extra bit of caster is nice tho, my tires no longer rub on the fender liner, at least until I bother to dial more caster via camber arm adjustment.

A tire question to you all:
Looks like this weekend's nationals style event on concrete will feature rain showers and 70F-ish temps. So, there will probably be wet periods and periods of rapidly drying track. Would you guys bother with (half-tread) RT660s or run 255-wide PS4S?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Out of curiosity, has anyone done reasonably close comparisons of tire width against relative times? My understanding was increasing total tire surface area is more about mitigating heat (I.e. higher power and weight), given it doesn’t actually increase the overall contact patch at nominal pressures.

What makes you think that it doesn't? I usually use this calculator based on one popular tire model to guage these things.
There was a whole discussion here recently. Physics says that a wider tire with the same pressure in it has the same contact patch total area no matter how wide the tire is. But the shape changes. Just like the amount of boat under the waterline is not based on the size of the boat, but the weight.

There was a whole discussion here recently. Physics says that a wider tire with the same pressure in it has the same contact patch total area no matter how wide the tire is. But the shape changes. Just like the amount of boat under the waterline is not based on the size of the boat, but the weight.

That's really simplistic physics that applies only to loose flexible tire tubes. Pneumatic car tires cannot be modeled that way. In reality (captured by more complex physics models, like the one I linked to), wider tire = larger contact patch.

That's really simplistic physics that applies only to loose flexible tire tubes. Pneumatic car tires cannot be modeled that way. In reality (captured by more complex physics models, like the one I linked to), wider tire = larger contact patch.
Yes, differences in tread and sidewall stiffness can modestly affect this (again, at nominal pressures), but most of the difference in raw grip come from compound and tire pressure. Indeed, though, lots of factors affect “feel,” how quickly a tire transitions through limits, etc.

Frankly I am not really sure we have enough data about tire construction to reliably predict tire performance beyond that.

Last edited:
The one you linked to is not a more complex physics model. It's a calculator with zero transparency on how it works.

Jason Camissa and many other sources disagree that it's more complex:

If the sidewall and tire really was that stiff, then the tire wouldn't collapse when it didn't have air in it. Yet it's clear to anyone that has worked with tires at all that the air pressure in the tire is by far the dominant element defining how much of the tire is touching the road.

But we should really discuss this in the other thread.

The calculator I linked to belongs to a respected tech modelling shop used by many OEMs. It was recommended to me by an Avon tire engineer. Most tire data/models are proprietary and cost money. This one is a rare exception.
Automotive journos using high-school physics models are not a good source answers to empirical questions. Those simple models are a good first qualitative approximation, but usually give wrong answers to quantitative questions.
This tread seems as good as that other one to discuss effects of tire width on performance.

Yesterday was points event 3... I historically don't do great on this course and I apparently woke up forgetting how to drive.. 79SSR was def not in his S2000, he was driving 9SSR's GT3. Poured most of the day... Only first heat and very end of last heat got dry runs, Coned away a 30.9. We also had multiple instances of cones being out of place for many runs due to the rain and course workers not paying attention to where the marks were. Good example is compare 0:30 vs 1:19.

I also struggle keeping heat in the battery and I notice my peak power output suffers because of it. I don't think I saw much over 33C yesterday.

1683551330156.png

Last edited:
Maybe we need to be covering the bottom of the battery with a blanket between runs....
I did a lot of logging a few weeks ago... I left my house at 7:00 at 27.5c after charging to 100% from 70%. I stop at a Sheetz that happens to have a supercharger for breakfast so I plug in and let it build some heat. Left the supercharger at 7:45 @ 52.5c. Was 27.5c after the drivers meeting at 11:11 and 43.0c after I sat in it and navigated to a supercharger the whole time before my first run at 11:48. It's a pain to build heat by navigating to a supercharger, even if you plug the seatbelt in I think the car stops after 10 minutes if you're not in it.

MPP rear arms on as well as the Whiteline poly offset compliance arm bushings set to full offset. Hopefully this alignment keeps my tires happier

View attachment 936756
Do you have aftermarket UCAs? When you describe the compression rod bushings at full offset, do you mean for maximum camber or maximum caster (or a mix of the two?)

Also, have you tried running 0 toe f/r if tire wear has been an issue?

Do you have aftermarket UCAs? When you describe the compression rod bushings at full offset, do you mean for maximum camber or maximum caster (or a mix of the two?)

Also, have you tried running 0 toe f/r if tire wear has been an issue?

I’ve been aligned to 0 total toe F/R 3 times and each time I’ve killed street tires inner edges in 7500-10k miles. Car toes out on compression so hoping slight toe in helps.

*fix0r’d.

Depending on a bunch of other factors, including but not limited to tire temps.
I haven’t ever temped my street tires :p