Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome @bigwig!

What are your goals for the car? Staying AS or going EV-X? You trying to win, or just have fun? That will dictate which tires you run.

275 and 265 are getting pretty wide for a 9" wheel, you're on that curve of where tires can actually get slower as they get wider:

Now I want to try and find a ride down in AZ...

Reactions: Lindenwood
Welcome @bigwig!

What are your goals for the car? Staying AS or going EV-X? You trying to win, or just have fun? That will dictate which tires you run.

275 and 265 are getting pretty wide for a 9" wheel, you're on that curve of where tires can actually get slower as they get wider:

Now I want to try and find a ride down in AZ...

I like to be competitive, but I am not building a full tilt, everything possible AStreet car. We drive it, but not quite a daily use car. Not likely to go to Nats again any time soon.

We should have traded out all the MPP parts from my car to yours before I sold it. You would be hard to beat in full EVX!

See you at OCCC on your fresh 660s. You are going down!
Que sera sera. At least you held onto the harness - and I can't imagine driving without it now.
Missed you in Buckingham. Great flowing course and good opportunities for speed.
Yep, see you soon!
255/35/19? What offset on your wheels? I’m getting a set of 19x9 +30. I am trying to decide between 255/35/19 71RS, 275/30/19 RT-660, and 265/30/19 CR-S.
265/35/19 and the wheels are +34. Since the 660s tend to run wide, I think I would've gone 255 if they offered that size. I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and plan to adjust the location of the wheel speed sensor wire, or whatever it is that tends to get rubbed by wider tires.

265/35/19 and the wheels are +34. Since the 660s tend to run wide, I think I would've gone 255 if they offered that size. I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and plan to adjust the location of the wheel speed sensor wire, or whatever it is that tends to get rubbed by wider tires.

The Falken RT-660 do run wide. I am AStreet, so no upper control arm camber or coilover ride height adjustment. 255 is looking a lot safer.
This thread is almost entirely EVX level prep, which is making me extremely peanut butter and jealous.

I received my wheels last night. Tires alone won’t be enough to make me competitive with well developed AS cars.
It depends on the course, but generally the Model 3 will not be a competeive AS platform no matter what you do to it that is AS legal. It's only in AS because the SCCA wants it buried. All the data shows it as a BS car. The only time it ever won at the national level in stock was when it was in BS in 2019, and even then it was not dominant in BS.

The secondary problem with it as an AS car is that because of the lack of camber it eats tires.

If you do keep wanting to run it, some coils and camber arms make it a much more rewarding platform, and will actually partially pay for themselves over a few seasons.

EVX is alive and well in Arizona. 3 fast cars ran the Arizona Motorsports Park road course yesterday. I drove a C6 Grand Sport in AStreet (7 runs @120+ seconds). I was ten seconds off of Bruce’s fastest lap.
I also drove 8 runs in Sierra Vista in a AStreet M3P (borrowed) on Sunday. Lots of good seat time.
Lots of good information here. Thanks for all the advice.

Time to order tires for this season. Think I’m going RE71RS, just debating on size between the 275/35/19 and 285/35/19. The 275 is 10.9” according to tirerack and the 285 is 11.4”.

The 265 RT660’s I had before were 10.9” and I ended up running a 5mm spacer in the front to gain a little extra upright clearance on 19x10 +35 wheels, trying to figure out if I can fit the extra 1/4” by going to the 285’s and if the difference is even worth risking it. I know I could get thicker spacers with longer studs but not sure I want to end up down that path.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Really suggest 18" wheels if you're buying new ones. Cheaper tires and more selection. 18x10.5 fits the car great.

Problem I had with 18’s was finding something wide and not super short. Also in the RE71RS there’s not much price difference. Kuhmo V730 there’s a wider gap

Yeah that is the tire I am going with and saw the same thing. Also looking at the 394mm brake kit!

Tires are ready. Season starts 4/14, excited to give these a try after the misery of RT660’s

IMG_3810.jpeg

IMG_3828.jpeg

Hi all,

Hopefully this isnt too off topic or overly-asked, but I have a classing question.. I typically race 1-3 times a year in my 23 M3P. Car is completely stock besides aftermarket wheels that are stock width/height (I am running the stock Pirelli P-zero’s) and 1” lowering springs. As far as I am aware the three main classes for M3’s are now AS (bumped down from SS for some reason), EV-X, and SSP. I don’t really want to race EV-X as not many people race that class in my region (frequently 0 – 1 cars in that class). I know technically my springs bump me out of AS, but as far as I am aware that leaves me with SSP, which is typically the fastest of the classes, fairly race-prepped cars on DOT R tires.. Is there a middle ground between AS and SSP? Would it be frowned upon to run in AS a few times per year considering that springs are the only thing that would bump me out of that category?

Thanks in advance!

I'd just race in AS. If you start winning a bunch at the regional level, someone may start to have an issue, but it's not likely to be the case. The cars not that competitive in AS.
It really once you start doing national tour type event that someone will, but then the car really won't be competitive in any class.
Thanks Dan, that's kind of the direction I'm leaning as well...